Pandemic Lines Creating Issues

This is a forum for "things"- cane/chairs, books, specialized luggage.... anything that has helped, and what hasn't. Add your own tips and reviews.

Moderator: gloria

MDT

Pandemic Lines Creating Issues

Post by MDT »

Hi, All,

I have been a member for a few years, but have mostly been reading and learning rather than posting. But the pandemic has caused unanticipated issues for me and I wanted to see if others were facing similar issues.

I was diagnosed about 8 years ago. Understanding what the problem was helped me tremendously. I adjusted my life to avoid standing still as much as possible. And this helped a lot. But since the pandemic started, I am faced iwth lines for things I'd previously been able to avoid. Grocery stores, the drug store. And in the next few weeks, I will be eligible for the vaccine. I would certainly like to get this, but the lines are very long and I am still working on the logistics.

My doctor gave me klonopin, and it does help some. But not enough for a really long line. I am just wondering if anyone else has faced this problem. I realize living in NYC likely makes this a bigger problem than in most areas that are less crowded. But I am wondering if anyone has found any other ways to deal with this. I was looking at a cane with a chair seat, but my MD said many of them collapse, so I was a bit afraid to try that.

I'd welcome any ideas that people have about ways they've found to deal with this. Thanks so much,
Mary T
bevnix

Re: Pandemic Lines Creating Issues

Post by bevnix »

Hello,
I have not been able to stand in line for a long time,I have to order everything online or go through a drive thru.I pick up groceries from online order and they put them in my trunk.
I do have a seat cane,however it's not too wide.
Bevnix
On the bright side I can go for walks. 😊
MDT

Post by MDT »

Walks are wonderful! I was mostly able to avoid lines until the pandemic. Living in a city, I don't have a car. My MD suggested using one of the small step stools instead of a folding cane with a seat. She said the canes and not as steady. The step stool worked very well! I even managed to wait on line for my vaccine using this. I'm very glad MD suggested this sturdy alternative to the canes with seats. It has been very helpful! Mary
bevnix

Post by bevnix »

Hello,
Is the step stool low? I have trouble trying to sit on low chairs,benches etc.
Bevnix
DonnaJean

Post by DonnaJean »

This is a stool I recommend, it adjusts to whatever height. It has strap and you can carry easily.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08N5 ... UTF8&psc=1
DonnaDS

Post by DonnaDS »

Hi,

I have been here for a while, but avoid posting because I live in the United States.

I saw the post about Covid leading to standing long lines. IT IS A REAL CHALLENGE NOW, along (for me) with enjoying a museum or even standing in a short line where there is nothing to touch.

I purchased a walker with a seat. It goes in my car but it's heavy and I am lucky to have someone to help me unload it. I chose it because it has a wide stance walker design. What I mean is that the rear wheels are wider apart than the front wheels so I don't kick them as I walk.

My point is that even light and inexpensive walkers with a seat can be an essential item. I do not like using a walker, but I must say that people are nicer when I use it. I had to stand in a long line to get both my covid vaccinations and I really could not have done it without the walker.

Try not to get dependent on one if you don't need it, but in long-line cases, it makes life so much easier. I only use this one outside.

Hope this helps.