post your product reviews here.....

This is a forum for "things"- cane/chairs, books, specialized luggage.... anything that has helped, and what hasn't. Add your own tips and reviews.

Moderator: gloria

Eye Poker

Re: post your product reviews here.....

Post by Eye Poker »

Betty wrote: It was suggested I get a cane, but I found the same problem as you described; the tremors transfer from the legs/body to the arms. But....I was also told even though you don't find relief from your tremors, it DOES make others aware you have a problem and they are very helpful in opening doors, and will move out of your way when passing.
Betty 8)
Wonderful bit of advice. If I have to lean in to a wall in a busy place (train station) and I have the cane, I get no looks, if I don't people look at me like I'm some kinda weirdo for violating their space.
Marianne

Post by Marianne »

I like others, use stools in my home, strategically placed,( kitchen, bathroom).I However, because of the tremors and also the fact that I cannot walk very long distances, I own an electric scooter which I have had since 2007. I use it only for outings (to the supermarket, mall shopping ) and anywhere I cannot find a store-provided scooter. The scooter was carried in our SUV, raised by a lift that was attached to the car's hitch. In order to make life a little easier, we just purchased a new scooter called the LUGGIE ELITE. This is a foldable scooter that weighs about 52 lbs (battery included) and can be folded to carry in the trunk of a car, or the back seat of a car. It folds up to a scooter in less than 5 minutes. It has dual voltage and can be used in the US as well as in Europe where the voltage is 220V.If anyone is interested in seeing what this scooter looks like and what it offers, you can google, Freerider.com. I purchased the scooter after seeing two ladies riding them in the malls. I stopped to ask them about it and they had nothing but good things to say about it. So you might say, I purchased it "sight unseen" because I never even had he opportunity to try and use one. I purchased it directly from the US manufacturer in Cucamonga, California. If there is anyone in my position who is looking for a scooter, I would highly recommend that they research the LUGGIE.
Marianne

Post by Marianne »

Eye Poker wrote:
Betty wrote: It was suggested I get a cane, but I found the same problem as you described; the tremors transfer from the legs/body to the arms. But....I was also told even though you don't find relief from your tremors, it DOES make others aware you have a problem and they are very helpful in opening doors, and will move out of your way when passing.
Betty 8)
Wonderful bit of advice. If I have to lean in to a wall in a busy place (train station) and I have the cane, I get no looks, if I don't people look at me like I'm some kinda weirdo for violating their space.
I use a scooter when I have to be outdoors, shopping or traveling and most people don't even have the courtesy to move a little if you have to pass by them. They are just oblivious to you and sometimes become very indignant when you have to say "excuse me" in order to get by.
gloria

Post by gloria »

Hi! All: I'm a person that does alot of things by myself and a number of years ago, I was working in my garden and took a pail full of clippings across the yard to an area where I have a compost heap. Once there I tripped over a stone and fell flat on my stomach on top of another piece of flagstone. Now how can I get up I thought as I looked at the blood running down my arm. I started calling out for help hoping one of my neighbors would hear me but that did not happen. I finally rolled over to a nearby bush and reached into the trunk and pulled myself off the ground. I was able to get into my house and just as I did my husband walked into the front door took one look at me and drove me directly to the hospital emergency room. Why am I telling you all this, because in recent years I have had a cellphone and a separate emergency GPS Call button hanging around my neck. Having the two separate things was not very handy but necessary. However Jeff recently found out Samsung has a new cellphone that has the emergency GPS button on it called Greatcall .... so now I just have a cellphone hanging from a Lanyard around my neck for any kind of assistance that might be needed ........ the service is called "jitterbug5" what a fitting name, how did they know ? ..... Gloria
Donna436

Post by Donna436 »

I prefer adjustable walking sticks to a cane. My PT person said that a cane is too low for my height 5'7" (yes I am in the US) so recommend the walking sticks which I ordered from REI online. Sometimes I use one, and for my walks, I use both. Also, walking with one cane throws my back off, so I have many pretty canes, that are all donated now.

Also, if you travel, take a folding shower stool with you or request a stool in the hotel shower. I have never been told I could not have that. I don't want a handicap room, just the show stool in the shower. It is amazing to me how many hotels have tub showers without even safety bars to hold onto. Marriott hotels always have both safety bars and will put a shower chair or stool in the shower for you if you request it before arrival.

But a shower over a tub with just a shower curtain and no safety bars. I would rather bathe will wipes than risk that.
Theresaann

Post by Theresaann »

It is quite disturbing to find out that many hotels DO NOT COMPLY with the law and standards of the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA). When I find a non-compliance issue, I report it to the CEO of the hotel. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. My next step is reporting the noncompliance to the Federal Agency in charge of the ADA.
Christy T.

Post by Christy T. »

Do you hear anything back from your report to the ADA managers? I wonder if you could report it to a news agency near the hotel or near your home. A news segment could also introduce OT to viewers
Theresaann

Post by Theresaann »

Of course they pacify, pacify, "we did install", etc. This time I completed a survey online provided by the hotel chain (in Parsippany, NJ). I continued to state in the survey that the hotel is non-compliant and gave low scores. It went online to anyone who cares to review it. Of course, the new manager pacified, pacified on receiving the report. I hope the report was from the corporate office. I won't be going back until next year so the hotel will have plenty of time to rectify the non-compliance. If progress has not been completed, I definitely will report it to the ADA. BTW, the toilet was only 15 1/2" from base to top of seat and there was no hand-held shower. (In anticipation that the work towards non-compliance was not done, I brought my own elevated toilet seat. Had to do this years ago for a back problem.) At least they installed hand rails around the toilet and in the shower AND stand-alone shower seat. I wonder if that room was just "honeyed up" because they knew I was coming. When we checked in, the receptionist's face dropped a yard when we gave our name. Then it was, "Is there anything else we can do?" I went to the lobby and purchased a ginger ale and heard, "Mrs. G, " is your room comfortable enough." I could have answered, but didn't waste my time, just thanked her for putting the ginger ale on our room tab. I don't think the management of that hotel realizes that hefty fines can be imposed via the ADA for non-compliance.
Theresaann

TripAdvisor

Post by Theresaann »

I posted my review of ADA non-compliance by a certain hotel in TripAdvisor.
MikeS

The effects of Oxygen

Post by MikeS »

https://youtu.be/_559IwGsXRc
Please show this to your neurologist
Also leave comment if you visit my YouTube page :!: