Off balance in the dark

This is the "main" forum that contains new introductions and other topics. A place to talk about your experiences, thoughts and advice.

Moderator: gloria

gazunni

Off balance in the dark

Post by gazunni »

As my OT’S continue to progress as I age, I am finding that I am having more difficulty walking around in the dark, becoming more unstable and taking very short strides. This happens mostly whenI get out of bed to go the bathroom and try to not wake up my wife.
I am wondering how much the reliance on clear lines of sight have on OT and balance.

Does anyone else have similar experiences?
Alibaba

Re: Off balance in the dark

Post by Alibaba »

Hi gazunni ,
I got the same. Can only walk +/- 200 m if I have a good day. I am 74 yrs and I have OT +/- 15 yrs.
Kind regards
snickers

Post by snickers »

Yes, this has also been an issue for a few years now. I often have to reach walls to steady myself, in the dark.I have a small flashlight by my side of the bed, to turn on during night time waking.It has helped guide the way, and ? Makes the trip feel more solid and steady.
Christy T.

Post by Christy T. »

Have you placed a small flashlight next to your side of the bed?
Betty

Post by Betty »

Yes, I also have a problem trying to get around the dark. I have a small flashlight next to the bed, but the most help is a small night light in the bathroom . It is not bright enough to keep you awake, but enough light to help you see in the darkness. You might try that.

Betty
Julia Goodall

Post by Julia Goodall »

Yes, I am more off balanced in the dark as well. I have a night light in my hallway and a flashlight by my bed. Also, I suggest keeping one in your purse or nearby when going out. You never know when you might need it.
tropokaty

Post by tropokaty »

One of my favorite restaurants has a long dark outside walkway with a few solar lights & quite a few steps. I usually had a death grip on my husband when walking there at night but went there for lunch yesterday & had a completely different experience feeling much better balanced except for the steps. I never realized I was so much worse in the dark.