What specifics do you do? Here are mine

This is a forum for "things"- cane/chairs, books, specialized luggage.... anything that has helped, and what hasn't. Add your own tips and reviews.

Moderator: gloria

Esteban

What specifics do you do? Here are mine

Post by Esteban »

I'm sure this is all old hat to many of you but these are the things that I do.

Does anyone find that locking a leg on to a chair/desk or putting your foot up against a wall gives you a "data point" that you can use to ignore the always in motion sensation that OT causes?

I also run a finger along the wall as I walk the hallways at work, especially when I'm walking slowly.

I try and position myself at the entrance of the elevator so I can always get near the wall.

If I'm walking about outside of work, I often use a cane. Not that it helps much but it gives people a visible signal that I have motion issues.
Di Di

Re: What specifics do you do? Here are mine

Post by Di Di »

Thanks for that Esteban ...
I do that with a chair leg or wall ...but not thought why "data point"...even an elbow or knee can be affective ....

I started using a cane in public ,just to let people know I had a problem ... slowly over the years, I now find I need it for me ...have a few ...almost becoming a fashion statement ...one hand crafted ,with a brightly painted bird handle always gets comments ....starting up conversations and easing tention all round ....

If I`m inside any where I too use finger or elbow to walk down narrow halls etc ...

Cant walk narrow footpaths well at all now even with a cane ...no pleasure ...too much tension ,wide spaces fine

elbow `parked` in the built in wall soap dish is enough to get me through a quick shower

always lean onwall at back of elevators ..or better still in corner support both sides ...first in last out ...

Best wishes ......Didi NZ
gloria

Post by gloria »

With my use of a cane I do not find it a physical help especially if I'm going for a long healthy walk at a good pace to keep my leg muscles working and my arms could not swing properly to help my shoulders and upper part of my body movement. The only time I use a cane is in a public situation so people know that I have a problem especially if out to dinner and as I leave people looking at me will not think I have had too much to drink !!!! However it is a personal use and I think using a cane fits well with many of our OT friends as a help and it is a good subject to read. I have used the finger touch on walls for years it seems to be a natural thing for us. DiDi I need to use a stool in my shower. Interested in what other specifics OT friends use in their everyday ? Gloria
Shorty

Post by Shorty »

I use a cane to get me up to a point where I am walking fast enough to not need it. Then I just carry it but then it feels awkward as it interferes with normal arm movement. It is still with me though for times I slow down, feel insecure or balance goes. I do the finger wall and furniture walking trick. Still use a walker for longer trips or going to unknown places. This may be somewhat controversial, but I added a bicycle air horn to my walker to help me deal with "walker rage" when people stop in front of me. Before using it, I do try to ask people politely to move out of the way though first. Particularly handy for dealing with kids that are ignoring their parents who request them to move out of the way. Works well in aisles of stores and cramped quarters. Only drawback is the kids who want to give it a toot!
Cheryl Snyder

Post by Cheryl Snyder »

I tend to lean against things, counters, deli case, checkout belt, etc. Shopping carts help. I occasionally (probably not often enough) use a cane that has a fold down seat. I find that I unconsciously will put my left foot on top of the right, don't know why? :? . Loose sand, uneven surfaces and dimly lit are all scary. I am so happy to be able to share ideas with people who understand! Thanks

Cheryl
Roberta

Post by Roberta »

I try to walk a couple of miles when I get up in the morning as it helps to steady me. I use a shower chair and grab bars when I shower.I have a rolling chair in the kitchen, which is helpful. I also position myself so that I can lean against walls in an elevator. I also hold on to a railing when going up and down stairs, as I have fallen on stairs. When I am standing and get rigid and "locked" I try to take deep breaths and relax. I have organized my closets and cupboards so I can quickly grab what I need, as I do not have the luxury of standing trying to find where something is. I no longer procrastinate as that caused me stress and stress makes my tremors worse. I try to improve aspects of my health that I have control over and I remind myself that I could have something a lot worse than OT.
Theresaann

Post by Theresaann »

My cousin noticed that something was wrong (I didn't tell her about the condition at that point in time) when she "saw me leaning on the hood of a dirty car". I can use a cane for very short distances - from car to door or even to shopping cart - but I find the cane creates more imbalance (probably because BOTH legs are involved, I surmise). When I have any distance to travel, I use a rollator walker (a walker with wheels and a seat). My neurologist told me a few months ago that there isn't a lot of research for this "rare" condition, but the latest recommendation is to use a rollator. At least, too, when you have to sit down, you have your own seat. Have seat will travel! At first I was a bit self-conscious. Then I decided that this condition isn't something to be ashamed of. I try to educate anyone who will listen about it. I even let strangers who use a cane try my rollator. It gives more stability than a cane. Does anyone else find that the summer excessive heat (Massachusetts heat and humidity) makes the tremors worse??
Theresaann

Post by Theresaann »

I agree with Cheryl Snyder that shopping carts help to ease balancing in stores. Also, uneven surfaces are too challenging (went to a funeral and had to stay in the car because the walk to the grave looked uneven and intimidating). When I get tired, I find the tremors are worse. I've had the condition for about two years (diagnosed by two different neurologists from two different medical groups) and I think it's getting worse. Now my hands and arms shake (Orthostatic Tremor Plus is the diagnosis for that, according to my neurologist at the Lahey Clinic in Burlington, MA). I try not to carry items from the oven or stove top to the table because of the tremors in my hands. I have dropped too many things already. I don't know what I'd do without my husband's help. I thank God it ISN'T Parkinson's and I just can't imagine going through that horror. At least the tremors stop when I sit down.
Theresaann

Re: Shopping cart

Post by Theresaann »

I find that shopping in any store/pharmacy/grocery/department, etc., that has a shopping cart, if I lift my leg and rest my foot on the lower horizontal bar (like drinking a beer in an old western setting with one's foot on the rail at the bar countertop), I get some temporary relief from the tremors. And this is welcome because I tremble and tremble when in a store that is lit with LED or fluorescent bulbs.
franann50

Post by franann50 »

hi Theresaann, I noticed you live in massachusetts!!! so do I,and would love to connect!!!
Anyway, I have a sling cane that I take with me to grocery shopping. I put it in the cart while shopping,when I get to checkout I open it out ,and not very gracefully slip it between my legs so I can sit to unload my cart! so far it had been working,even though not very graceful!!
also have seat cane from Dick's sporting goods,but don't feel as safe on that-.
Would love to touch base with you .
Not sure how to do that.
I have posts that go way back ,and at that time no one was from around here.
hope to hear from you!
Fran