Alcohol

This is the "main" forum that contains new introductions and other topics. A place to talk about your experiences, thoughts and advice.

Moderator: gloria

Paul Christie

Alcohol

Post by Paul Christie »

Wondering, wether anyone else has any relief from OT after consuming alcohol?
I've found accidentally that being drunk relieves all my symptoms. Obviously this isn't a cure but, surely it must mean something that could help with treatment. I informed my neurologist, but he just said it was interesting. I hardly drink, but sometimes it's good once and a while to feel normal even if it is while being intoxicated,,,,,
Di Di

Re: Alcohol

Post by Di Di »

Hi Paul ...Good question ....:)
I too found a drink helps me walk and cope better ...I ask my GP is there something aquivelent,as I felt I didnt want to go down that path !!#!.... I do drink wine to get me through a tight social evening , but with an alcoholic father am very aware of the side effects .
Have been on a light dose of Gabapentin for the past 12mths and it has made a huge differance ...still have tremors ,but I`m more relaxed about them ...bit like a glass of wine I guess ....take care ...Didi NZ
Angela

Post by Angela »

Di Di wrote:Hi Paul ...Good question ....:)
I too found a drink helps me walk and cope better ...I ask my GP is there something aquivelent,as I felt I didnt want to go down that path !!#!.... I do drink wine to get me through a tight social evening , but with an alcoholic father am very aware of the side effects .
Have been on a light dose of Gabapentin for the past 12mths and it has made a huge differance ...still have tremors ,but I`m more relaxed about them ...bit like a glass of wine I guess ....take care ...Didi NZ

Paul, and DiDi,

I have said many times that alcohol helps me before I go to a social event, and having a glass of wine while there helped. It helps with the anxiety, which for me really triggers the tremors. Any emotion really ramps them up. I am trying a herb called CBD (CANNABIDOL), if you look up, herbalachemist, you can read about it. It's all organic and is grown in the US. Seems to be helping me some. Hope this helps ! Angel
RJFSR

Post by RJFSR »

Hi Paul... and to answer Di Di...
The medicine I'm taking says "no alcohol", and I don't, but for a year I have been prescribed Xanax for a recently developed different problem. 1/2 pill [0.25mg] noticeably stops my legs [and the rest of me] shaking. I guess the pill relaxes everything.
My gastro doc says it helps calm my stomach problems also.
It was prescribed by my neurologist. I don't take it regularly, [RX was 0.5mg when needed] just when I am very anxious/nervous for whatever reason.
Cordially
Richard, NY
renaely

Post by renaely »

Paul Christie wrote:Wondering, wether anyone else has any relief from OT after consuming alcohol?
I've found accidentally that being drunk relieves all my symptoms. Obviously this isn't a cure but, surely it must mean something that could help with treatment. I informed my neurologist, but he just said it was interesting. I hardly drink, but sometimes it's good once and a while to feel normal even if it is while being intoxicated,,,,,
Paul, it is a CNS depressant (which is what OT requires) and I have found it working for me too. My neurology team doesn't seem to mind in the least and even noted that I would see my symptoms reduced. I can't believe more folks haven't figured this out. All the medications they provide are basically CNS depressants, but unlike the drugs, alcohol can produce fewer side effects. I tend to drink after doing strenuous activity, just enough to get my legs back under me.
renaely

Post by renaely »

Angela wrote:
Di Di wrote:Hi Paul ...Good question ....:)

Paul, and DiDi,

I have said many times that alcohol helps me before I go to a social event, and having a glass of wine while there helped. It helps with the anxiety, which for me really triggers the tremors. Any emotion really ramps them up. I am trying a herb called CBD (CANNABIDOL), if you look up, herbalachemist, you can read about it. It's all organic and is grown in the US. Seems to be helping me some. Hope this helps ! Angel

Angela, how has the CBD worked for you? I've been planning on trying it, but would love to hear your insight.
bobbinj

Post by bobbinj »

My meds say to not use alcohol . But I would like to know about everyone who has tried CBD oil. I am interested in trying it, but have not yet spoken to my dr. My Physical therapist and Rock Steady Boxing instructor both suggested it. Would love more feedback.
Thank you. ..Bobbi
gloria

Post by gloria »

Hi! All on the use of alcohol : I would say that maybe in the early stages of OT using alcohol might releave " the OT Beast within" however, OT is progressive and the needs to ease becomes greater thus more alcohol would make our OT imbalance even more intense and staggering. I would agree with DiDi that wine is just the degree of milding to make us comfortable. Cheers, Gloria
Mimijt

Post by Mimijt »

I do find that a glass or more of wine does help my tremor. But the problem remains..what can help my tremor earlier in the day..far earlier than I want to sip, because I need to drive..refuse to drink and drive! (Meds don't help)
gloria

Post by gloria »

Mimijt and All : I think better knowlege of the use of alcohol should include how alcohol affects, damages and changes regions of the BRAIN ! ! For more info Google : NIH......National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism.........you will find how damaging alcohol is to our OT brain. Gloria
GraGra

Post by GraGra »

Hi Paul....I have a beer before dinner which helps a little with the tremors and then I have 2 glasses of wine with dinner and I find the tremors have almost gone I can stand too pee without hanging onto the wall and my gait is much better. The only problem is that at that time of the evening I am mostly sitting eating dinner and /or watching TV. Ha ha maybe I should be drinking it for breakfast. You have to be careful not too drink too much as I have found the next day the tremors are much, much worse. All the best, Graham