How is everyone?

This is the "main" forum that contains new introductions and other topics. A place to talk about your experiences, thoughts and advice.

Moderator: gloria

Frankie

Re: How is everyone?

Post by Frankie »

Frankie wrote:
Frankie wrote:Thanks Gloria for responding to my post. I know I didn't have my tremors until I was hospitalized & they had me on some pretty strong meds. :? When I came home from the hospital, is when me & everyone else started noticing the tremors. I no longer take any of those meds, but the tremors are still there. I go back to the Neurologist again on the 17th. I'm going to ask her all about the meds & why the tremors only started after I came home. There has to be a link there somewhere. :wink:

Take care & God bless
Frankie
PS. I forgot to mention, that yes I was under a lot of stress is why I had my nervous breakdown & had to be hospitalized. :oops:
gloria

Post by gloria »

Frankie: Will be very interested in your Dr. response on your 17th visit about your onset of OT and her thoughts on possible causes. Gloria
LMP1

Post by LMP1 »

Hello Gloria, Beth and Jeff and all the OT community. Thanks for your message of support after the devastating 7.8 magnitude earthquake which those in the upper South Island and lower North Island of New Zealand experienced just after midnight on Monday morning - well those were the areas most affected by the shake, but it was felt from almost one end of the country to the other. Unfortunately I had only been living in our brand new home in Kaikoura for two weeks when Mother Nature vented her fury in an incredibly scary way. Since then we have had over 2,500 aftershocks, several in the magnitude 6 range. My new home town of Kaikoura is totally cut off from the rest of the country, with massive slips both north and south of us. It is a tourist town on the No. 1 highway of the South Island and had over 1,000 tourists staying when the quake occurred, so the first priority was to get the tourists out so that the authorities could then concentrate on the locals.

New Zealand's army, navy and airforce were deployed with some tourists being helicoptered out, but the majority were accommodated on one of the navy ships. I had a grandstand view from my home of small boats ferrying the tourists out to the ship. It was a huge endeavour which took most of the day. Now the authorities are concentrating on getting some normality back into our lives, but I some how think life will never be "normal" for a very long time. Businesses will be decimated as they lose a whole tourist season which was just starting to ramp up. The area is a marine haven, so tourists flock here to go whale watching, swimming with the dolphins and visiting the seal colonies. Along with that sea life, is the large fishery region housing crayfish, paua, and blue cod, to name a few. The seabed has been raised between 1-2 metres and it is incredible to look out my living room window and see large rocks totally exposed which were underwater until Monday morning. This has meant that a large number of paua have died. A large slip also wiped out one of the seal colonies, and who knows what the quake has done to the whale and dolphin habitats.

My home withstood the quake very well - unlike many others in the region - but I can't say the same for my nerves. Because my husband, Owen, is still living and working on the Chatham Islands, he wasn't with me, so I've had to deal with everything on my own, along with the support of my neighbours. My sleep patterns are very broken, so the OT is working overtime. Sometimes I'm not sure if I'm feeling another aftershock or if it is just my body having the "shakes"!! I do have power and got my phone landline and internet back up and running yesterday. The biggest problem is no water and the town sewerage system is "stuffed". Along with our military, we are getting assistance from US, Canadian and Australian navy personnel and ships which is very much appreciated. They were in the country to celebrate 75 years of NZ navy, but have been deployed away from the celebrations to assist with the disaster. Helicopters have been buzzing the town all day as much needed supplies are off loaded from the ships, including chemical toilets for every household. We have been advised it could take six months for the sewerage system to be back up, and water supplies will be scarce for several weeks. What water that is getting into homes has to be boiled before use.

I had hoped to be able to leave the town via helicopter today, but that fell through when the helicopters were needed elsewhere. Instead a ride on HMNZS Canterbury was offered tomorrow to anyone who wanted to leave the town. As I only like looking at the sea, not riding on it, I declined the offer, but there are about 200 people who will be shipped south. My neighbours gave me 20 litres of much needed water today, then another gentleman turned up with a tank of spring water on the back of his ute and gave me another 20 litres. It has meant that I have been able to do some hand washing and clean up the dishes. Tomorrow morning I will be able to have a bucket shower. I feel cleaner already .... lol!! The other good news I've just received is that Owen, who flew off the Island on Wednesday, has been offered a ride into Kaikoura in a four wheel drive vehicle with roading contractors tomorrow. It was very overwhelming to learn of the assistance given to get us back together. We have also been offered assistance to get out of the town together when we are ready to leave. Hopefully this news will allow me to sleep more peacefully tonight.

Regards to everyone from a very shaky, but still standing, Lynette (in quake town Kaikoura, NZ)
Nin

Post by Nin »

Wow Lynette - What an ordeal! Adversary brings people together and it sounds like that has happened with your neighbors. And how good that other ships were in the area and able to help! I'm so glad your husband is getting home soon. That should help reduce your stress level and the shakes. All the best to both of you.
gloria

Post by gloria »

Lynette:
Thank-you for reporting in you are OK after experiencing the threats of going thru a major earthquake !!!!! Not easy for a person with her own shakes. Hope you and Owen will be in a state of calm in your lives very soon........Gloria, Beth, Jeff and all your OT friends.
Frankie

Post by Frankie »

Hello to everyone,
Sorry to hear of the disasters Lynette has been going through & I wish her well.
Gloria, I went for my appointment with my Neurologist on the 17th, but have been having computer problems. I told here that I still feel that my tremors were brought on by some of the medications from when I was hospitalized. She said " she wouldn't say yes or no, that it very well could be". She checked me over & had me walk, noting that my tremors seemed to be worsening upon standing still. She has started me on Sinemet, which is given to Parkinson patience's. I just pray it helps & so then maybe, some of my new OT friends can get help by using it also.
Here's to wishing all of my OT friends a Happy Thanksgiving.

Take care everyone
Frankie
gloria

Post by gloria »

Frankie: The process of finding a med for an individual just diagnosed with OT sometime takes a number of trials.......... keep us posted on how you do with Sinement. You neurologist sounds like she is taking a very interested study of your case so please keep us posted......Gloria
LMP1

Post by LMP1 »

Thank you Frankie for your kind thoughts. I flew out of Kaikoura with my husband on Tuesday morning with a small airline which has started running flights in and out of Kaikoura since the earthquakes. Was a relief to get out, even though it will only be for 11 days. It was, however, a little disconcerting to stay in Christchurch (just over two hours drive south of Kaikoura) on Tuesday night, and experience another very strong shake and several smaller ones early that evening. We were worried about our home in Kaikoura, however it was a very small town between Christchurch and Kaikoura which experienced quite some damage. They had very little damage on 14 November, but were hit severely this time. Interestingly the little of town of Scargill was where I spent the first two years of my life, having been born in a small hospital about 10 kms from there.

Yesterday Owen flew back to work at the Chatham Islands and I drove 7 1/2 hours south to Invercargill to stay with my sister and brother-in-law for just over a week. It is nice to be right away from all the shakes where I can relax and enjoy some normality - flushing toilets and a shower, for instance.

Regards, Lynette
Frankie

Post by Frankie »

Hi everyone, it's good to see Lynette is back in civilization again. I hope your stay with your sister & brother-in-law is enjoyable. Thanks for the encouragement Gloria, it's much appreciated. I visited my sister's yesterday & stood for a long period of time talking with my niece. I shook so hard that my neck is sore today, from now on I'll know to sit down quicker. :shock:
I'll keep everyone updated on how the new meds are doing.

Take care
Frankie
kellytherev

Post by kellytherev »

Hello Everyone,

I struggle often, but I post very little. I'm the 39 year old Episcopal Priest who went to Mayo in Sept. I'm still waiting to hear whether or not they will consider my case for DBS. I received a quick diagnosis here in KY where I live, but medical care here doesn't seem to meet the standards that I enjoyed elsewhere. My experience is that all of the medications had significant adverse reactions. I just wanted to offer a reflection that this time last year I was very ill with one med after another, and this year I let someone else do the dishes and asked my daughter (11) to help me make our annual family visit to Ikea possible. I did Thanksgiving while actually being thankful. I wish the same for all of you.

I'll post again should Mayo make my case the 5th try at DBS @ Mayo for OT, or if they reject it.

Gratefully,
Kelly
Frankie

Post by Frankie »

Hi everyone, I have noticed that my tremors don't seem to be as bad as they were, since I started the Sinemet. My son sent me a video on my facebook page, of a Parkinson's patient that tried marijuana. Within 2 to 3 minutes his tremors stopped. It didn't show how long it lasted, but I was amazed that it actually worked.

Take care everyone
Frankie
Lorie M

Post by Lorie M »

Does anyone check out the Facebook group of OT. A lot like "How is everyone" here! Lots of people from around the world struggling and sharing",
Jenny

Post by Jenny »

I want people with OT enjoy the Christmas spirit and hopefully can find a way to help us 2017
gloria

Post by gloria »

Jenny: Thank you for the nice holiday greeting for all our OT friends however I see that you joined in Jan. 22, 2015 and you haven't told of your experience with living OT. Perhaps you might have some questions about your OT that your OT friends can help you with. Good to hear from you, Gloria
Lorie M

Post by Lorie M »

Merry Christmas from MN. We are suppose to get snow and low temps so time to walk in the heated garage here.
People with OT on face book were talking how walking and exercise has been helping them. Guess I need to do more since I have become lazy lately.