Physical Therapy

This is a forum for "things"- cane/chairs, books, specialized luggage.... anything that has helped, and what hasn't. Add your own tips and reviews.

Moderator: gloria

gloria

Re: Physical Therapy

Post by gloria »

geandreas and all OT friends: Yes, your finding that weight lifting exercises are not helping your OT has been reported by other OT'ers thru out the years that it was not successful for them as well. I believe and do find that walking is still the best for maintaining my legs. It seems to provide the proper motion messages to my leg muscles that OT interrupts when standing still. Bobbi's exercises appear to be be reaching these leg muscles too. The most important thing for all of us to remember is not to become a "couch potato ". Gloria
geandreas@aol.com

Post by geandreas@aol.com »

Thank you Betty for your reply. I have been dealing with this for over three years. I hope when I finally go to the movement center at Duke Medical, they will finally have a solution or at least a diagnosis. Doctors have been prescribing Gabapentin for several years for anxiety. This may help my tremors. I will let you know how I progress.

George
gloria

Post by gloria »

George: I agree it sounds wise that you will be going to the Duke Movement Disorder Center for a diagnosis because by your postings it seems that you feel you have the symptoms of OT. Were the doctors you have been seeing neurologists ? I have been taking Gabapentin since I was diagnosed with OT in 2000. It just quiets my leg tremors a bit too and we all are looking for a cure. Gloria
Betty

Post by Betty »

Hello George,

I totally agree with Gloria ~ she is the expert here ~ going to the Duke Movement Disorder Center should be able to give you some answers you are seeking. Until we get a proper diagnosis, we are all searching.

I was diagnosed December of 2003 and that's when I found this site. It has been a "life saver" for me, and I feel for many others.

Good luck, and keep us informed as to your progress.

Betty
geandreas@aol.com

Post by geandreas@aol.com »

I have an appointment at 3:00 pm at the Duke Movement Disorder Clinic. I hope that they can give me a diagnosis soon.
George
Betty

Post by Betty »

George,

Is your appointment still April of 2015, or were you able to get an earlier date?

Betty
Hattie12

Post by Hattie12 »

New to diagnosis about two months ago. Me neurologist ordered physical therapy first for help. Went three times a week for two months. I found it worsened my symptoms and have stopped going. Take Clonazepam 1mg daily and have found this unhelpful. I'm glad the PT has helped you so much. Patricia Milford , CT.