archived: initial discussion RESEARCH & MEETING IN OMAHA, NE

News from the meeting and study in Omaha NE, with DR. TORRES-RUSSOTTO

Moderator: admin

Lake of the Woods

archived: initial discussion RESEARCH & MEETING IN OMAHA, NE

Post by Lake of the Woods »

Hello everyone,
We wanted to get the word out to everyone about some research on OT that is going to be taking place in Omaha, Nebraska this fall. In conjunction with this we will be having our 3rd OT meeting.

Peggy has been corresponding via email with Dr. Torres-Russotto for the last four years ever since she initially contacted him to see if he was interested in coming to our very first meeting held in Rochester. He had indicated to her that he would be moving to Omaha with the intent to do research on OT. This process of getting all the approvals etc. necessary to do this research is finally over and he advised her earlier that he has “one final approval” to come in and then he will be ready to start.

With that in mind we did set up tentative dates to go to Omaha and I did post something on the forum to advise what is happening and also emailed any OT person I knew personally or had had contact with about this research. As a result, we had 12 OT people indicate that they would like to participate. I also tentatively arranged some kind of schedule around the research regarding the meeting and a presentation by the doctor.

We finally have “final approval”. I hope people will give some serious thought about participating in this. We finally have someone willing to do research and he has his own funding. Your only cost will be travel, accommodation and meals; who knows when this will happen again.

THE DATES OF THIS ARE AS FOLLOWS:
October 25 – OT Meeting
October 26 - Research

FLYER SENT BY DOCTOR WITH DETAILS ON RESEARCH IS SENT AS ATTACHMENT

CONTACT PERSON
I am just the contact person to get your contact information to pass on to the doctor. If you are planning on participating in this research please send me an email – peggyincanada@gmail.com I will need the following information from you: Name, email address and phone number.

The doctor sent me these steps that will be taken:
1. I will send your contact info to doctor OR you can contact the doctor directly at drtorres@unmc.edc
2. He will send via email the consent form and then will call the participant to review the consent form and all procedures with them. For this, they have a predefined script that has been approved for the phone interview.
3. If the person fulfills eligibility criteria and wants to proceed, they will sign consent and send it to doctor. The doctor will email again a questionnaire that needs to be filled out about OT symptoms and other important data.
4. They will schedule a visit to their center for examination.

Also, please make sure you read all this information first before emailing me with questions. Please remember that I am a volunteer doing this and trying to help liaison this information between the OT community and the doctor. If you contact the doctor directly about the research and are also planning on attending the meeting please let me know at least 2 weeks prior to October 25 so that I can ensure we have a room large enough to accommodate everyone for the meeting and dinner.

HOTEL
http://www.elementomahamidtowncrossing.com

Dr. Russotto recommended this hotel and another one that I checked into. This is the best one I felt and it is nice to stay together as a group. They have a free shuttle 7 days a week from early morning to 10 pm and will take us within a 5 mile radius of hotel and will pickup and dropoff to airport. The hospital where the research is taking place is very close by. The girl said the shuttle runs every 1/2 hr and we can book ahead of time. Because of this I can't see the need to rent a vehicle unless you choose to do so.
………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….
ITINERARY FOR EVENTS

THURSDAY NIGHT AT RESTAURANT - CANTINA LAREDO - ACROSS THE STREET FROM HOTEL

5:30 - 6:00 - Introduction and Welcome by Gloria and Mike

6:00 -7:00 - Dinner

7:00 - Presentation by Dr. Russotto

Everyone can make their own decision if they will have to come the day before to make it in time for this. If your flight gets in on the Thursday with enough time to get to this then you can come Thursday - you will have to decide on this.

FRIDAY - Research will take place all day and you will have your appointments booked by the doctor. They can handle quite a few people in one day as he has advised that he has 3 teams that will be doing this.

Peggy will book a restaurant for everyone to go to supper at one location if they wish once she knows numbers.

SATURDAY – We will have some kind of wrap up discussion with the doctor on Saturday morning.

Peggy and Gloria
stella R

Re: RESEARCH & MEETING IN OMAHA, NEBRASKA

Post by stella R »

Hi Gloria and Peggy,
Thanks so very much for all your hard work getting this meeting
arranged. Finally we have a Research program ready to go.
I am looking forward to seeing as many people as can come to
Omaha on October 25th.
Let's learn and enjoy.
Stella
Lorie M

Post by Lorie M »

I have been eliminated from the OT research at Omaha. :( I have had vertigo for many years on occasion due to an inner ear problem. They are going to study balance disturbances, movement disorders and unsteadiness. Of course I do have all of those symptoms. Hopefully they will learn a lot from the other participants to help us.
Good luck to all and safe travels.
Lorie M
Marlana

Post by Marlana »

This study represents so much passion and dedication by all involved. I have also been eliminated from this trial, since I'm legally blind, there are just too many variables. So, I wish you all safe trips and warm connections. I hope the study reaches its intended goals. Thanks to everyone who is giving of their time, energy and money to participate.
Betty

Post by Betty »

Hi Lorie,

I, too, have been eliminated from the study because I also have vertigo! I have had it most of my life and have learned to cope with it. Mine is not occasionally, but all the time. Because I have had it most of my life, I can differentiate between the "balance" problems of vertigo and those of OT; they are totally different.

I will be eager to see what comes out of this study; I think we all are.

I also wish everyone safe travels...

Betty
gloria

Post by gloria »

Betty, Lorie & Marlana:

So sorry that I will not be seeing all of you in Omaha. Betty and Lorie we are old friends for many years and we met at a previous meeting, and Marlana it would have been wonderful to meet you. Perhaps after doing the study I will understand medically why it was necessary to reject you. Nonetheless, we are all bonded by our lives with OT so our friendship is secure. Gloria
Betty

Post by Betty »

Hello Gloria,

I too, am sorry I will not be attending the Omaha meeting; I would love to have met the new people there and get reacquainted with long time friends. Yes Gloria, we have been friends for many years and will continue to be so.

Lorie, we met at Mayo, and I would have enjoyed getting together again; hopefully at another time.

Marlana, I am disappointed I won't get the opportunity to meet you, but perhaps we will meet one day, I hope so.

I will be interested to hear the outcome of the testing to be done and what findings come out of this study.

Good luck....

Betty
gloria

Post by gloria »

I just want to wish everyone safe travels to Omaha for the 2012 OT meeting and research study next week.

This is very exciting and I'm looking forward to seeing old OT friends and meeting many new ones too. I will miss those who won't be able to join us, but we will try to get a report about the meeting posted as soon as possible.

Many thanks to Peggy for all of her skillful organization and planning!

best wishes

Gloria
MikeS

Post by MikeS »

Hi Everyone
Unfortunately I am not going to be able to make it .I have tried everything to get my self well enough to attend but its not to be
I will miss seeing my old friends and meeting new ones . I hope to attend the next one
Thanks Peggy for all your hard work
Keep Smiling
Mike :D
Betty

Post by Betty »

Hello Everyone!

First, Mike, I am so sorry you will not be able to attent this meeting due to ill health. I hope you will soon enjoy better health and will be able to attend the next meeting ~ whenever and wherever it may be.

To Gloria: You are our "guiding star" and inspiration! I will miss seeing you as well as others I have met, but perhaps the next meeting.

To Peggy: Thank you for all your hard work getting this organized and set. I know what a difficult job this has been, but you have done well.

To all attending: I wish you safe travels and an informative meeting. I will be eager to hear all about it; and will look forward to information being posted on this site.

Pat, will you be our expert on that front? I hope so and hope to see a few pictures as well.

Even though I will not be there in person ~ I WILL be there in spirit! :)

Betty
Lorie M

Post by Lorie M »

Mike,
Sorry to hear of your health problem. You were such an inspiration to us at the Rochester meeting.
You will be missed. Get well soon!

I was able to arrange time for the meeting in Omaha even though I am not eligible for the research study. Looking forward to see "old friends" and meet new ones.
Lorie M
stella R

Post by stella R »

Mike,
So sorry you are not feeling well.
We will miss you.
Stella
stella R

Post by stella R »

Lorie,
Glad you have decided to come to the meeting.
I'm sure you will be glad you did
Betty, i wish you had been able to make it.
Hopefully we will meet in the future
Looking forward to seeing you Gloria
Regards to all
Stella
Betty

Post by Betty »

Hello,

Lorie, I am happy you were able to arrange your schedule so you are attending the meeting, even though you were unable to participate in the study.

Stella, we will meet one of these days; perhaps at the next meeting.

I will miss seeing those I have met, and sorry I will miss meeting and making new friends.

Betty
Chris

Post by Chris »

Hi everyone!! This is my first time attending the meeting and I am really looking forward to it. Mike...I am so sorry that you are ill and not able to attend. I was looking forward to finally meeting you. Betty.....same thing......I have seen you so much on this site it would have been nice to finally meet. Hopefully next time it will be possible.
I am getting really excited now and everything seems to be falling into place. My husband and I start our road trip on Monday to Omaha so it should be fun.
See you soon.
Chris :)