Deep Brain Stimulation in Orthostatic Tremor

A place to post any new research papers that you find on OT

Moderator: gloria

admin
Site Admin

Deep Brain Stimulation in Orthostatic Tremor

Post by admin »

A report of 2 individuals with DBS:
Results: Vim DBS was well tolerated and resulted in improvement in standing time (patient 1: 50 s at baseline to 15 min 16 months after surgery; patient 2: 34 s at baseline to 4.2 min 7 months after surgery). Postoperative surface EMG for patient 1 demonstrated a delayed onset of tremor, lower-amplitude tremor, and periods of quiescence, but an unchanged tremor frequency.

Conclusion: These cases provide further support for Vim DBS to improve standing time in severe medication-refractory OT. The location of the effective thalamic target for OT does not differ from the effective target for essential tremor.

LINK TO REPORT
renaely

Re: Deep Brain Stimulation in Orthostatic Tremor

Post by renaely »

Just had all of my surgeries completed. DBS was turned on and programmed for the 1st time on BOTH sides. It works great! I feel like a new me. Left the doctors office feeling a bit stoned and like I had a stroke, but it's getting better. Cleaned the house the other day, swept, vacuumed, mopped, got the rugs shampooed! I have not stood up to do these tasks in a year! Have a bit of numbness in my face on the left side still, but basically OT is gone after one programming! I can now stand up and stand still for upwards of 5-10 minutes without the tremor getting too bad and haven't fallen once. DBS is a miracle. The long process sucks, but ultimately it is worth it.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thank you for the update and more importantly, so glad to hear it was a success and that you are feeling great!

Wishing you all the best.
gloria

Post by gloria »

Good news, please keep us informed on how your success continues. Very happy for you, Gloria