A "mini-brain" in spinal cord that helps keep us balanced

A place to post any new research papers that you find on OT

Moderator: gloria

admin
Site Admin

A "mini-brain" in spinal cord that helps keep us balanced

Post by admin »

"In a paper published in the journal Cell, Salk Institute scientists map the neural circuitry of the spinal cord that processes the sense of light touch.

...When we stand and walk, touch sensors on the soles of our feet detect subtle changes in pressure and movement. These sensors send signals to our spinal cord and then to the brain," says Martyn Goulding, a Salk professor and senior author on the paper. "Our study opens what was essentially a black box, as up until now we didn't know how these signals are encoded or processed in the spinal cord. Moreover, it was unclear how this touch information was merged with other sensory information to control movement and posture."

..... "How the brain creates a sensory percept and turns it into an action is one of the central questions in neuroscience," adds Martyn Goulding, a Salk Institute professor. "Our work is offering a really robust view of neural pathways and processes that underlie the control of movement and how the body senses its environment. We're at the beginning of a real sea change in the field, which is tremendously exciting."
Link to article
gloria

Re: A "mini-brain" in spinal cord that helps keep us balance

Post by gloria »

This is such exciting news of scientists who have discovered how " a mini-brain" in the spinal cord aids in balance and movement. I'm very anxious to see how OT might connect with these new neurological findings in the future. Gloria
MaureenB

Post by MaureenB »

Very interesting Gloria.
I have had a slow release cortisone and anesthetic Epidural in the base of my spine.
It was about 26 years ago ,performed to relieve severe pain in my legs from a slipped disc. I have had O.T for over 20 years to my knowledge
Any other OT friends had this procedure ?
regards Maureen
gloria

Post by gloria »

I do think OT people would be excellent candidates for the "mini-brain" study because of the nature of our symptoms and hope professor Martyn Goulding and the other Salk scientists find an interest in our OT disorder. Gloria
gloria

Post by gloria »

Hi! I keep coming back to this Salk Institute research because I feel the touch sensors in our feet are sending OT feed back from our feet to the "mini-brain" . Before we knew of this research in March 2014 we were discussing on the site our feet and how thin soles and going barefoot felt better etc. This was under the subject " OT feedback from our feet" and a few other headings. I wish more would click on to the Salk Institute and read the article above. Would be interested in your response. Gloria
Lake of the Woods

Post by Lake of the Woods »

This is very interesting. Maybe an OT person will initiate some contact with the scientists involved in this at the Salk Institute and see if they are interested in studying us OT people.

Peggy