Update on Sydney OT Meeting Arrangements

June 22, 2013 - news and discussion

Moderator: admin

Sueb

Update on Sydney OT Meeting Arrangements

Post by Sueb »

From sueb 26 May 2013

Arrangements are now in place for the First Australia and New Zealand OT Meeting, to be held in Sydney on Saturday 22 June 2013.

18 of us living with IT and five accompanying people have signed up – but there is still time to register, by sending me an email via this site. Four of our participants are coming from NZ, and others from remote parts of Australia – and most have never met another person with OT. So it should be a wonderful meeting.

"Dr Julian Rodrigues is the recipient of one of the OT Forum’s NORD research grants. He is based here in Perth and has a research practise in Sir Charles Gairdiner Hospital here (Known as Charlie’s)and with the University of Western Australia. He is also now “my” neurologist.

He will be attending the 17th International Congress on Parkinson's and Movement Disorders, which is being held in Sydney, June 16-20, and has agreed to participate in our meeting of OT sufferers in Australia following that, on Saturday June 22 in Sydney. If you are interested, the link to the Congress is http://www.mdscongress2013.org/

We have also invited the other recipient of our NORD research grants, Dr Sabine Meunier, MD, PhD, (a Neurologist, Senior Researcher Movement Disorders Clinic, Pitié-Salpêtrié Hospital .Paris, France) who may be attending the Sydney International Congress. But we have not yet had a response to the invitation. Dr Rodrigues has also emailed her. We have also invited Dr Torres, but it seems he will leave Sydney immediately after the Congress, and so won't be here for our meeting. He has sent an encouraging message!

I met Dr Rodrigues last week, to plan the meeting. He will talk about OT, what is known about it, and his research. He is also bringing some testing and evaluation equipment with him, so we can try it out. One is an electronic hand-held device which reads tremors through a couple of wires stuck with sticky pads to the leg, and magnifies the noise. As been noted elsewhere, this sounds like a helicopter. He may also bring a physio with him.

Our meeting will be professionally video recorded and edited so it can be posted on our website. In this way the benefits can be shared with those unable to actually attend the meeting, and those of you not living in our part of the world.

The Meeting will be held in the Novotel Brighton Beach, in Sydney. http://www.novotelbrightonbeach.com.au Booking code is MCI220613. Those needing acomodation are booking direct with the hotel.

The conference fee is A$200, which covers the meeting room, morning and afternoon tea and lunch and making the video. This needs to be paid to me. Send me an email and I’ll give you details of how to make the payment.

We have a reservation in the hotel restaurant for dinner on Friday 21st, for those who wish to come. And for Saturday 22 we have a reservation at a very reasonable Tapas restaurant next to the hotel. Dinner costs are at your own expense!

If you or someone you know would be interested in coming to the Sydney meeting, please let me know!

The poster is terrific - thanks Jeff.

Betty

Re: Update on Sydney OT Meeting

Post by Betty »

Hello Sue,

Your post is excellent, and to know you will have Dr. Julian Rodrigues (now YOUR neurologist) in attendance and will be speaking to the group should be quite interesting for all. I do hope you get a positive response from Dr. Sabine Meunier, and she will also be in attendance. To have both recipients of our NORD research grants there would be awesome! Too bad Dr. Torres will not be able to stay for the meeting.

You have quite a large group attending, which should be helpful to any physicians there. I think to have Dr. Rodrigues bring testing equipment so those there will be able to see and hear their tremors will be quite an experience. I would love to be there too, but the trip from Florida in the U.S. to Sydney would be a very long trip.

I, along with everyone else, will be looking forward to hearing all about your meeting and viewing the video, when posted. I am excited for everyone who will be there.

You have done an excellent job putting this together; I know it isn't an easy task. Give yourself a "pat on the back". Peggy, with whom I am sure you have been in touch, did an excellent job of getting things together for all meetings held here.

Good luck,
Betty

Yes....Jeff, you did a terrific job with the poster!
Sueb

Post by Sueb »

A quick update on the Sydney meeting - we now have 28 people coming, including OT sufferers from Australia and NZ and partners.
There is still a little time for new people to sign up, but any more and we will need a new meeting room! We pay the hotel next week. Fourteen of us will be at the hotel the night before and have said they want to get together for dinner, so I have space in the hotel restaurant booked. Twenty have said they want to dine together AFTER our day's meeting, and we have an informal tapas restaurant next door booked. Everyone pays for themselves for these meals. I'm looking forward very much to meeting everyone face to face.
Sueb

Post by Sueb »

I had lunch in Sydney yesterday with Dr Marie Vidaihlet who works with Dr Sabine in Paris. I've posted the account of that on the research grants page, but some parts are relevant to our OT meeting which starts with an informal dinner this evening.

http://www.orthostatictremor.org/phpBB3 ... 3601#p3601