GLORIA NELSON TO RECEIVE GOVERNOR'S AWARD FOR VOLUNTEERISM

Moderator: admin

Lake of the Woods

GLORIA NELSON TO RECEIVE GOVERNOR'S AWARD FOR VOLUNTEERISM

Post by Lake of the Woods »

Gloria Nelson will be receiving the Governor's Award for Volunteerism on November 14, 2008 in Princeton, New Jersey. Both Gloria and I received phone calls from the Governor's office last week and she has notified me that she just received her official invitation. I will be receiving one also as I was the nominator but unfortunately I will be unable to attend. I am hoping that another OT person can go in my place and we will let you know about that.

After the meeting in the spring I decided to look into what possible recognition awards would be available and I actually nominated both Gloria and her wonderful son Jeff who looks after the website because he is also of such value to all of us communicating with each other. Unfortunately Jeff's name was not accepted but I will be trying again on that. I was just thrilled that Gloria will finally get some kind of recognition for all the work and time she has put in helping others. I am aware that everyone on the website is always letting her know how much we appreciate her but some kind of public recognition is also important.

Along with the nomination papers and a narriative that I completed, they required two letters of support for each nomination. I asked Helen from Toronto, Canada, who had met Gloria at the meeting in the spring and Dr. Diego Torres-Russotto to provide these letters. Both letters were just wonderful and I will be sending copies to Gloria so she can see what great things they had to say about her. Dr. Russotto was more than happy to help - he thought it was a wonderful idea and Helen's letter was of course terrific also.

Apparently the ceremony is from 9am - noon at the Governor's mansion, including a continental breakfast and hopefully we will get some pictures to share with the forum.

I am just thrilled that it worked out - we are all so proud of Gloria and she is so deserving of this!

Peggy Whitta
MikeS

Re: GLORIA NELSON TO RECEIVE GOVERNOR'S AWARD FOR VOLUNTEERISM

Post by MikeS »

A magnificent award for an amazing Lady.
Well done and well deserved.Congratulations Gloria and well done to Peggy
Mike
porotin

Post by porotin »

Hello Gloria:
I am very happy for you to recieved this award and many more!!!.
congratulation from Sydney Australia, Porotin
stella R

Post by stella R »

congratulations Gloria for all your support and work for us.
were would we all be without this forum.
ANd also to Peggy who has put so much of her time and effort in all of this.
Thank you both
stella
Blossom

Post by Blossom »

Congratulations Gloria. The award is truly deserved. Also well done Peggy. Thank you also to Geoff for his work on the forum which has been an incredible resource for us all.

Best wishes for the big day.
Blossom
Chris

Post by Chris »

Congratulations Gloria!! Enjoy yourself and thank you for all your hard work.
Chris
Joan

Post by Joan »

Peggy: Thank you so much for doing this, Gloria richly deserves this. Many many thank you's to Jeff for helping us with the website. We don't take you for granted.
Marianne

Post by Marianne »

Congrats Gloria for all of your efforts and hard work. You are truly an inspiration to all of us and no one is more deseving of this honor.

Stay well,

Kaylie
admin
Site Admin

photos!

Post by admin »

A couple photos from todays award, the event was held at the Governors Mansion in Princeton NJ

and here's a link to the information from the State of NJ website:

http://www.state.nj.us/state/secretary/ ... 114_a.html

the NJ Secretary of State - Nina Mitchell Wells
Gloria and Pamela Irvin Fields the extremely nice presenter of the award
the whole gang
Gloria with Sabrina, the talented event coordinator
outside of the Drumthwacket Mansion
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drumthwacket
escape with the loot..... flowers from Peggy and Helen
gloria

Post by gloria »

Hi! Everyone:
Today the Governor's Awards For Volunteerism was held in a large tent attached to the historical Governor's mansion in Princeton, New Jersey. There were participants from 11 different areas of voluntary work. I was thrilled to accept my award for all of the people that live with Orthostatic Tremor. Of course, as you can see, I took the traditional OT sitting position to receive it. My family, Jeff and his wife Beth, who you all know from the website and my older son Doug and his wife Jody were there to support mom. Jeff posted the pictures above as soon as he got back to his studio. Jeff's constant help and internet expertise has presented our cause to the world. I thank Peggy Whitta who made the nomination and Helen Sanderson and Dr. Diego Torres Russutto for their letter's of recommendation. Peggy is a true advocate of our OT cause, a spirit that I hope will become apart of all that have our disorder. Gloria
MikeS

Post by MikeS »

Hi Gloria
Great pictures
I am so pleased that you and your wonderful family had a fantastic day.The work you do for the OT group is outstanding and to see you looking so well , that usual big smile has brightened up my day.
Hope to see you soon at another meeting
Fondest Regards
Mike
:D
Marianne

Post by Marianne »

Hi Jeff: An extra special thanks to you for putting this website together for all of us. Gloria is our inspiration to fight on but know that you are truly not forgotten for bringing us all together with your computer expertise.

Thanks again for all of your efforts.

Kaylie/Marianne
porotin

Post by porotin »

Hello Gloria:
Nice photos!!. thank you and your son for this great work!! and you look beautifull.
I wanted to tell you that my name is also Gloria but for not confusion i put a nick name.
love porotin
lorna

Post by lorna »

How wonderful that Gloria recieved recognition for her never ending work for OT. She started this site off many years ago and has worked tirelessly to keep it going with the great help of her son Jeff. Because of Gloria we have all been able make contact with other OT sufferers around the world, share our concerns, trials of meds, our feelings, aids that help with this awful conditions, and keeping in contact with medical professionals. Where would we be without her, we are just soooo lucky to have her in our lives. :D
Ann Dodd

Post by Ann Dodd »

Ann Dodd. Brisbane Australia.

Gloria congrats even thou it is a bit late. By the way you are a credit to yourself. You look just beautiful.
Your site has helped me so much and thank you for all your hard work and dedication.
Thank God for the Gloria,s of the world.
Many thanks,
Ann