Non-Invasive Focused Ultrasound - UVA Research

This is a forum for "things"- cane/chairs, books, specialized luggage.... anything that has helped, and what hasn't. Add your own tips and reviews.

Moderator: gloria

renaely

Non-Invasive Focused Ultrasound - UVA Research

Post by renaely »

I know most of you are "happy"or have accepted your drug regimens, I already went through DBS, but at one time I had very high hopes for this non-invasive research which has now been cleared by the FDA, so I thought I'd share. I know it primarily focuses on ET, but having had DBS and having my surgeon repeatedly refer to ET, since surgery targets the same area as ET and Parkinsons...just ignore and think "OT".

http://newsroom.uvahealth.com/about/new ... red-at-uva
admin
Site Admin

Re: Non-Invasive Focused Ultrasound - UVA Research

Post by admin »

HI Renaely,

Thank you for posting the link. Below is another new and interesting article on focused Ultrasound.
This study provides important information for the field. The focused ultrasound procedure is an attractive option, as it does not require open surgery. However, clinicians and patients should appreciate that the therapy produces a nonreversible brain lesion and should not be performed bilaterally due to associated speech and swallowing effects. Although hand tremors improved, it is worrisome that the tremor score worsened progressively and that ultimately 14% of efficacy was lost over 12 months. In addition, 16% of patients had less than 20% improvement. Despite the shortcomings of ultrasound therapy, this procedure may offer an option to patients unwilling to undergo a traditional unilateral thalamotomy or deep brain stimulation procedure.
Link to article