Walking

This is a forum for "things"- cane/chairs, books, specialized luggage.... anything that has helped, and what hasn't. Add your own tips and reviews.

Moderator: gloria

margie1627

Walking

Post by margie1627 »

I am an 85 year old, had O.T. for the past 7 years, take gabapentin 1800 mg. a day and find that walking 3 miles a day is somewhat helpful. I really notice a difference on the days I don't walk. I'm wondering why and if anyone has a similar experience. :
LMP1

Re: Walking

Post by LMP1 »

Yes Margie and a Happy New Year. My Neurologist told me to keep walking when I was diagnosed with OT in 2009. He said that it is the one thing that would really help, but didn't explain why. I have so far avoided taking medication for the OT, although I do take an anti-inflammatory for the pain in my legs. That allows me to keep up my daily walk with the dog.
Happy walking.
Lynette
gloria

Post by gloria »

Margie: You are doing the kind of walking that is the most beneficial we can do to help ourselves. The OT people I have heard from who follow such a routine seem to have more mobility, strenghtened leg muscles and a bit more standing time as well. Keep on walking and us posted , Gloria
Di Di

Post by Di Di »

Hi Margie,Lynette,Gloria ....Think you are great the way you stick with the walking ,I thought I would walk on the days I dont wade water in hydro pool ...Didnt get far and there was no enjoyment as I had trouble sticking to the narrow foot path and when someone was coming the other way !!#! add a small dog to the mix !!#!..............So my plan B is to drive to the beach and walk the wider path , today this will happen !...was a New years promise to self ...missed 2 day`s so far ......Guess I just have to get into the habit .......NEW YEARS GREETINGS TO ALL ......Didi NZ
Roberta

Post by Roberta »

I find it helps my balance and my day to walk two miles when I first get up. I an 73 and have had OT for 40 years.