Cranial Sacral Occipital work; Major improvement!

This is a forum for "things"- cane/chairs, books, specialized luggage.... anything that has helped, and what hasn't. Add your own tips and reviews.

Moderator: gloria

Marlana

Cranial Sacral Occipital work; Major improvement!

Post by Marlana »

It's been a long time since I've written an update here. So for those who are new and for those who have forgotten I will give a brief history of my OT story. I noticed very early OT signs about 1997, but didn't think much of it until I found myself unable to stand while directing the choir about four years ago. That's when I found this site and got a diagnosis after several Neurologists. I quickly went from trying to use a cane, to a walker and into a wheelchair outside of the house. I had almost no standing time at all. I played with various drugs, and ended up on a low dose of gabbapentin for the past 3 years.

About a month ago I hurt my back and had to find a new chiropractor, so I ended up with Dr. Joan O'Connor in Tigard, Oregon. She is so gentle, no popping, unless that's what you want, I don't. She is very attentive, listens well, she understood immediately what I needed. My back issue was fixed in one session. So, I thought I would just toss out the tremors and other issues on my follow up visit and see what she said.

The morning after that visit was like I had rolled back the clock on my OT to before my diagnosis. I'm now off the gabbapentin altogether. I can stand for, I don't actually know, but long enough to put my coat on, to talk to people at the door, to put things in the cupboard, to pick clothes out in the closet and so on. I used to immediately begin waving my arms around, for balance, not even a second after not holding onto something. And the panic of looking for a place to sit.... was horrible! That panicky feeling is almost nonexistent. Now, I just sort of think, hmmm I think I should sit down, I'm sort of tired now.

I think the tremors are still there, but they are so faint, I'm actually not sure. :) I've had three visits and one of those was focused on my back, not even about the tremors. I'm now using a walker only, not a wheelchair at all. I have hopes that I may even be able to let that walker go soon. I even went shopping today for several hours and found myself standing still and looking at things, even dawdling. I still have a lot of spatial unsteadiness, but that has also improved a lot, I am eager to see just how far we can go with it.
gloria

Re: Cranial Sacral Occipital work; Major improvement!

Post by gloria »

Marianne: What a wonderful update.......always like to hear good news. It is amazing how Cranial Sacral Occipital works for some and not for others but it shows it can't hurt to try and look at the great outcome for you. Gloria
Marlana

Re: Cranial Sacral Occipital work; Major improvement!

Post by Marlana »

So true, Gloria. That is the mystery of OT. I suspect the sacro-cranial work may be helping some secondary issues, but not getting to the actual root of the OT. Even so, I'll take any imporvemnt I can get. I'm not seeing as much dramatic improvement now, but I'm still holding the initial improvements I did receive. I'm hoping with my new ability to walk, that I can improve things more over time.