Gardening with OT...

This is a forum for "things"- cane/chairs, books, specialized luggage.... anything that has helped, and what hasn't. Add your own tips and reviews.

Moderator: gloria

gloria

Gardening with OT...

Post by gloria »

Hi! All:
We have a number of members from different parts of the World who are gardeners and it would be nice to know more of how are you able to ” work around our OT” . Most of us work from a garden stool or kneeling...... All the years I have lived with OT there are very few things except gardening that can give me “ a bit of mental escape time” from OT. Working outdoors in Nature in my flower garden or the small dell in the rear of my house or just trimming the landscaping around the house all works for me from my garden stool. Even pulling weeds is not a chore .........well maybe ???????

Most of us have different time zones for gardening.........longer or shorter growing seasons. Here is a tip if you do not know about the use of Epsom Salt in the garden. I’ve used it on my roses for years. I was told that it contains magnesium and helps plants grow, this includes fruits , veggies and landscaping.
Would like to hear from our gardeners again, perhaps they have some new tips or updates for all.

MaureenB you once posted that you go to woodcarving classes. Have you made any wood carving pieces for your garden? This year I purchased two large carved mushroom that needed a little restoring before I can put them some place in my garden..... I’m thinking of the narrow strip wooded area.

I also think it is important that our OT friends share their interests, hobbies and talents that help to distract us from our OT. Pleasant diversions are good for our minds.

Beautiful Spring day for being outdoors but must go to my Chair Yoga Class this morning..........as always Gloria

If you wish to post a garden picture of yourself e-mail one to me or admin(at)orthostatictremor.org

shakeylady43

Re: Gardening with OT...

Post by shakeylady43 »

MaryAnn from Illinois here; I love to garden and find I now need to sit on the ground and scoot around to tend to my flower beds. (But I'm not giving up!) Pruning of shrubs seems to be the hardest of my chores and you could find me hanging on to one branch with one hand and trimming with the other hand. I have chairs placed around our two acres where I garden and spend a lot of time "resting" between chores. I did take a nasty fall this past week when walking on an un level sidewalk. Bruised my leg up and my ego! This has made crawling around the beds a little difficult. We have "enjoyed" the 2nd wettest year since records have been kept; so our gardens are behaving quite different than a normal year. My Little Girl patio tomato plant is now close to 10 feet tall and still growing.
Paul74

Post by Paul74 »

This is very interesting post for me as I am also a gardener. I love planting flowers and fruits in my backyard but nowadays I have been trying to deal with the pests in the garden. After trying home remedies now I am going to hire the professional Pest control Port Macquarie services.
gloria

Post by gloria »

Welcome Paul I see you have an interest in gardening and have problems with pests in the garden too. However not only do I have tiny flying,creeping pests but I have deer & ground hogs that enjoy my gardens. For insects I manage with hand sprays but there is no stopping the deer that are multiplying greatly in my town and surrounding towns. Forget the ground hogs because they eat practically everything !!!!!!!!!!! Perhaps you are right I should try a professional sprayer near me.  When you registered you forgot to leave your LOCATION in your  PROFILE therefore it would be difficult for someone to use your professional unless they live near you.   We are  a rare disorder and it is important to have a geographic picture of where we are located. Please go back to your PROFILE and leave your info there. Your general location is all that is needed and it is not recommended to post specific addresses,  just State & Country is OK.  For other reasons “why and how to”  just click on the following:     http://www.orthostatictremor.org/phpBB3 ... f=16&t=313 

Nonetheless I'm certain that we all love our gardening and being out in Nature is very comforting to me.
Will look forward to your future postings on how you are traveling thru life with OT........ Gloria
shakeylady43

Post by shakeylady43 »

I have found dog hair repels deer in our gardens. I bring home a large garbage bag full of dog hair from the groomer and then put this hair in knee high stockings. I am them able to hang these stockings in various places in the garden. Works for us and eco friendly
Last edited by shakeylady43 on Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gloria

Post by gloria »

THANK-YOU ! Shakey Lady, I will gave your dog hair suggestion a try. Gloria
gloria

Post by gloria »

Hello all my OT gardening friends: I have a question about something that occured in my rose garden. Two years ago I planted an English rose that was a beautiful deep pink and but this year the roses were a pure white!!! I questioned the the place where I purchased the plant but they could not give me an answer. Perhaps one of my OT gardening friends have an idea what happened. Other than that gardening sitting on a stool and being out in Nature is a good med for my OT. Gloria
brittasmom

Post by brittasmom »

Some roses are grafted. This means the rootstock and the scion (the grafted bud) are two different types of roses. If the scion has died or is weakened, the rootstock may emerge and produce flowers of a different color. The top of your grafted rose, color pink, may have died from winter weather. The roses that were white this summer may be from the rootstock.
Just an idea but all situations are different.....just like OT.....smile. 
Nancy