Can shoes help our balance?

This is a forum for "things"- cane/chairs, books, specialized luggage.... anything that has helped, and what hasn't. Add your own tips and reviews.

Moderator: gloria

Lynda

Post by Lynda »

Hi everyone,
Has any one tried MBT or Earth Shoes (or anything similar) that claim to help with posture, back pain and muscle tone? They are designed with a 'negative heel' which causes your toes to point up and your balance to be thrown slightly backwards. A friend was telling me about them yesterday and I was wondering whether they would help us as OT sufferers. Looking at the medical testimonials on the LoveThoseShoes website, I noticed that several people with MS claim that the shoes have helped with their balance and they wouldn't be without them now.
They're not cheap - but I wonder if they're worth a try?
Best wishes to you all
Lynda
Lynda

Post by Lynda »

Hi Everyone,

As I've had no response to my previous posting on this subject, I am presuming that nobody has had any experience of negative heel technology in helping with their balance. However I am encouraged to pursue the idea, after a couple of experiences recently.

Whilst away on a weekend break with my husband, I was standing on quite a steep hill (facing uphill) waiting to cross the road. I realised that, unusually, I felt quite stable and a lot more balanced than I would normally. I concluded that it was because my toes were pointing up and my heels were down, changing the centre of my balance.

Also that weekend we were on the beach, and I tried standing with my heels dug into the sand. Again my balance was much improved. I was able to stand for longer before the tremor took over!

Of course we can't always have a hill or beach to hand!! However the shoes I mentioned in my last posting supposedly mimic the action of walking barefoot in the sand, changing our posture and balance.

So I'm going to give them a go (I've ordered a pair of the cheapest!) and I'll let you know how I get on. I'm all for trying anything that might help our debilitating condition.

Best wishes to you all,

Lynda
J

shoes for balance

Post by J »

Hello Lynda,
Yes its the pits when no-one replies. I will walk with the toes up and heels down today and give it a try. I am guessing the shoes must be on a slope to put the weight on the heels. How much is not cheap? do they do international orders and what condition were they made for in the first place?
Lynda

Post by Lynda »

Hi

Thanks for your reply. If you look up http://www.lovethoseshoes.com and click on 'Info and advice' it tells you all about Earth Shoes and other similar makes of shoe - and you can find out the prices! I think they will ship overseas because they offer the prices in Australian dollars (as well as other denominations). I have ordered a pair of thong sandals which cost £35, but some of the more substantial shoes cost a lot more. There may well be outlets that sell them nearer to your home. I know they are quite easy to get hold of in the States (and probably cheaper).

From what I can gather, I don't think the shoes were made for any particular condition originally, but were intended to realign the body to it's natural posture and consequently help with back pain, muscle tone and even cellulite! Sounds too good to be true doesn't it?

Best wishes

Lynda
J

shoes

Post by J »

hello Lynda,
Thanks for the info. I am going to get a pair even if the claim of helping back pain is true that will be enough for me. like most of us with muscles in the back of the leg (calf) mine are very well developed and look like I ride a bike. I dont (ride that is) have to develop those muscles but could do with back strengthening as I get so sore from trying to hold myself still. Though look who I am telling if you have OT of course the same applies to you. I will go onto that website in the morning as tired now and order a pair. Sandals would be good as its summer/autuum here. Thanks so much I think they will help.
Over the years I have accumulated medical aids and so far all have been of help i.e. shower stool, shower chair, walking/sitting seat. walking trolley seat. handles on bathtub. bathseat, night vision driving glasses (to improve perception). night- light activated by movement. ( so I dont loose balance in the dark) I also sometimes wear a support belt around the abdomen to support my back but, in summer this gets a little too hot to put up with. highstool to sit iron, peel vegetables (cooking)
The shoes if successful will be good as they unobtrusive and thats a big plus when you live in a small town. I want to work but I cant take any of the above appliances around with me as people here have little tolerance towards those with disabilities.
By the way have you tried the "tens" machine for backpain. Is is tiny and you fix electrodes where the pain is and turn it on (battery operated) and it sends impulses to deaden nerve endings. This can be worn under cclothes Well will try to sleep again thanks again
Margie

Post by Margie »

Hi Lynda (I sent this as a private mail to Lynda, but now I know the site better, I've done a copy/paste to here just in case someone else might have heard something similar)

Being a very new recruit on this wonderful site Gloria has created for us,
I have just now found your posting on 'shoes'. I don't have to worry about
shoes so much these days as my main mode of getting around is on wheels (ie;wheelchair)

However, I do recall a physiotherapist telling me tight lace-up shoes,
especially boot style which enable you to get a really secure fitting
around the ankles, could be helpful with tremors.

I did find a cute little pair of ankle boots which nobody but myself seemed
to like, but after reading your experience (different to mine) reminded me
how great it felt to wear them. I strode in them. Felt like I was 'walking
the light fantastic'.

So you might have something there, though the shoes we describe are vastly different.

I think it's a case of shopping around when you have OT, not only with
helpful accesories, but visiting different health professionals to maybe
stumble onto something that helps to control the dreaded blighters (in
Aussie, we tend to use stronger terminology!)

Shakey Cheers
Margie
ps I can also vouch for Lynda's 'heels dug into the sand' which I recall doing some years ago and having much the same reaction, though it could have been more 'toes and heels'. Whatever!
Lynda

Can shoes help?

Post by Lynda »

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to report back on my experience with 'negative heel technology' shoes, to help our balance. I started off by buying a pair of thong sandals for the summer and got on quite well with them, although of course they didn't offer much ankle support! However I could really feel my balance being adjusted when I stood still.

Encouraged by this success, I have now bought myself a pair of more substantial shoes and am very pleased with them. I find that I feel more centred when standing and therefore more relaxed - and it gives me a little more standing time than usual before the tremor gets bad. Unfortunately they aren't a magical cure for the tremor, but they're certainly worth a try.

Keep positive, everyone, and do keep looking for answers!

Best wishes

Lynda
gardenwoman

Post by gardenwoman »

I bought a pair of earth shoes with "negative heel technology" Though they are comfy, they dont help with the tremor for me I'm sorry to say. :(
Lynda

Shoes and balance

Post by Lynda »

Hi!

Welcome to the OT site.

I'm sorry the shoes didn't help you at all. I am still wearing mine regularly and - although they don't actually help the tremor itself - I do find a greater stability whilst standing which gives me that extra bit of confidence.

I do hope you find other coping strategies and things that will help you with your condition.

With best wishes

Lynda
gaylene

Re: Can shoes help our balance?

Post by gaylene »

Yes Lynda. Shoes can definitely help our balance. I have had much success with pharmacy bought orthotics inserted into the heel section of buckled or laced up shoes with flat rubber soled shoes. It is important that the shoe not move on my foot. Seems to cut down that falling forward feeling when not on even ground. The shoe must be held firmly on my foot. Courtshoes are definitely out even if they take an orthotic as they allow the feet to move forward. I don't know anything about the earth shoes but will look them up. Unfortunately have had to give away all my high heeled shoes or boots. However have found some relatively pleasant looking shoes which will take the 3/4 orthotic and are firmly buckled or laced to my feet.

Cheers
Gaylene
Marlana

Post by Marlana »

I tend to go barefoot as much as I can. I find I feel better when I can feel the floor with my feet and dig in with my toes. Even if I still have socks on, I still feel more secure with no shoes.

However, when I do need to go out and wear shoes, I wear sturdy, lace-up walking shoes with orthodics which were prescribed by a podiatrist. I have never been comfortable in heels, and have weak ankles, so I have worn lace-up shoes for years due to other reasons besides OT. I don't think the tremors are any different with or without shoes of various types, but I do feel a little better with lace up shoes on, more secure more able to balance and so on. The tremors, for me seem to be magnified with stress, so going out is usually more stressful than being at home, it's hard to say if shoes help in an objective sense of the word, but if I FEEL better, that counts, too. (grin)

I have not tried the earth shoes, but am guessing they may help some of us. I do lean forward when I struggle for balance, so I plan on investigating the Earth shoes at some point. Thanks for the idea.

Marlana
Marlana

Post by Marlana »

Hello Everyone,
Update on shoes. I'm now spending much more time in a wheelchair and less on my feet. The most exciting thing I've found, since I need to feel the floor and grip the floor if I do stand or walk a little bit, I need shoes with thin soles. I tried just slippers, and they work fine for that part of the issue, but since I like to use my feet to propel my wheelchair around the house, I need gripping soles.
Water Shoes! Yep, those cheap shoes people use to go in the water. They have great rubber soles, they're stretchy, so they fit easily, they grip the floor for walking or propelling in my wheelchair, they don't look like slippers, so I can wear them out without feeling too strange. I'm really pleased with this little discovery, I hope you all find them as helpful as I have.

Marlana
MaureenB

Post by MaureenB »

Hi Marlana
I also found the watersport shoes a great help , as i also like to go barefoot, and ofter stand on prickly things in the garden.,, could do with something else when bumming around in the garden ..ha ha...
I found the navy blue fabric ones with a toggle which just pull on,they sound the same type...... the rubber sole is wonderful as you say,they look fine, infact quite sporty, :wink: ( thats a new one for us ) I found them in the Aldi store cheap price also..
sorry to hear you are having to use your wheelchair more oftern

regards to all
Maureen
cinsim1@yahoo.com

Post by cinsim1@yahoo.com »

For the last 6 years, I have worn MBTs, Earth shoes, and Sketchers. While they don't help w/ my tremors, they helped relieve the problem of plantar fascitis. I have high arches and walk a lot. My husband loves the Sketchers and they have helped him, too. I know there is a lawsuit against Sketchers because of their claims of weight loss, etc., but they should have marketed their shoes to help those who suffer w/ plantar fascitis.
Diana

Post by Diana »

Hi Lynda
Have been thinking about your topic of can shoes help our balance and i wonder if they can, i have had
OT for many years and do remember on two different occasions when my OT was less severe, the first occasion was when i bought a pair of trainers with a built in arch support and when i first put them on i could stand ok for a couple of minutes with no tremor but that feeling sadly did not last long, the second occasion was when i had to stop and talk to someone and there was a curb in front of me so i put the front of my feet on the curb and found it improved my OT 95% but i think maybe it was just to do with gravity and taking my body weight from my feet, but thought it might be good to post a reply to your topic. I have also found that i can stand ok in water as i suppose that it supports me.
Kind Regards Diane