Can shoes help our balance?

This is a forum for "things"- cane/chairs, books, specialized luggage.... anything that has helped, and what hasn't. Add your own tips and reviews.

Moderator: gloria

snickers

Re: Can shoes help our balance?

Post by snickers »

Before I found this website and before I knew this condition had a name,I had a referral for orthotics(I also am a classic flat footed person).
I found that they give an increased sense of stability, though do not decrease the tremor at all;.they just make my feet feel secure!
tropokaty

Post by tropokaty »

no one has posted on this for some time but I have found that sandals with a sunken bottom(foot sits over an inch below sides of shoe) help to stabilize the foot also the ridge under the toes helps with the toe curling
gloria

Post by gloria »

tropokaty: Thanks for returning our attention to this topic which has a lot of input in the past. I agree with the idea what type of footwear we choose can help us feel better than others. My experience has been to wear shoes with thinner soles. I have found the more my feet can feel the ground the more they feel somewhat more responsive. Going barefoot is good too plus heel toe walking is more comfortable for me.. Maybe just a "little" bit of stability message returns to our brains. Look forward to continuing thoughts, Gloria
shakeylady43

Post by shakeylady43 »

I prefer to wear Skecher brand (Go Walk) shoes; they seem to give me a better ability to "feel" the surface of the walkway than most other shoes and also they give me the ability to grip with my toes. I no longer can wear shoes with more than a 1/2 inch heel or shoes with a hard sole.
gloria

Post by gloria »

Hi alI: I think on an average we agree on the types of shoes that help somewhat with our walking and standing for balance. However, at our first meeting in Omaha Dr. Torres asked the question of our OT group...... when attempting to stand in general , how many found their toes curled under?"...... the entire room of OT people raised their hands..... another unconsious attempt of trying to hold balance. Gloria
gardenlily

Post by gardenlily »

Good afternoon, everyone,

I just came across this post and was really interested in the last posting by Gloria where she mentioned that when asked about "curling toes under", everyone in the room put up their hand.

I have been wondering about this for sometime now, and have come to the realization that the balls of my feet and my toes hurt constantly because I am always curling them under to try and stay standing(not that it helps much).

Again, something I constantly asked doctors each time I was trying to find out why my legs shook. Of course, I never got any answer from any of them until this past March, 2016!

I am always on the lookout for shoes/sandals that might offer some extra support. I really appreciate reading all the ways that fellow OT sufferers try and cope, and offer ideas/help to the rest of us.
Keep well everyone!