Acupuncture!!!!!! It Works!!!!!!

This is a forum for "things"- cane/chairs, books, specialized luggage.... anything that has helped, and what hasn't. Add your own tips and reviews.

Moderator: gloria

SBMum

Re: Acupuncture!!!!!! It Works!!!!!!

Post by SBMum »

Hi Dan
Merry Christmas to you too. So far I've had little or no success with acupuncture and the leg tremors -- I seem to notice a slight difference right after I leave the office but it doesn't last. Perhaps what I have is different than what you have and that's the problem? my acupuncturist and I were both very disappointed in not achieving better results --- but it was worth a try. Thanks for inquiring.

Lynne
zivia

Post by zivia »

Hi everyone,
Just thought I'd let you know about my experience with acupuncture.
When I saw Dan Murphy's post about his experience, I figured it was worth a try since nothing else has worked. I found a really nice acupuncturist who had nver heard of orthostatic tremor but was very interested in helping me. She did her own thing for the first few visits with no noticable results. Then she called Dan's acupuncturist, had a long conversation with him about technique, etc.and was really excited to try it. She did say that my trigger points were in different areas than Dan's, but of course each of us will be a little different. That's to be expected. Well, to make a long story short, I had seventeen treatments with absolutely zero results. I was very disappointed, but to tell you the truth, I really didn't expect it to work. Maybe the difference is the length of time I've had it (12 years) while Dan has had it for a much shorter period of time.Who knows. By the way, it gets pretty expensive. It was $75 for each treatment and it's not covered by insurance. Of course, if it worked I would have paid anything. Oh well. Wish I had better news.

Rita
SBMum

Post by SBMum »

RIta,
that was my experience as well - my acupuncturist still tries to hit some points around my knees etc while treating me for other things but so far no results. too bad because I, too, was very excited at the thought of something so non-invasive working. I now have an appt. at the UCLA Movement Disorder clinic - but I'm afraid that they're going to be as useless as my neurologist (who, btw, put me on clonezapam- completely switched it out for the valium which until this past 4 months has worked somewhat, resulting in the most miserable week of my life where I was actually having valium withdrawals -- it took my internist to figure out the problem with that med switch). Meanwhile, I'm weaker on a daily basis - can barely stand still for more than one or 2 minutes of time, live in fear of falling, can't exercise but still have to somehow get up and go to work each day. I am seeing a PT for Balance therapy but so far it's done nothing either.

good luck to you - perhaps you will find a solution that works for you.
Lynne
Dan P. Murphy

Post by Dan P. Murphy »

Rita and Lynne,
I am so sorry things haven't worked out! Hang in there. Good Luck! God Bless!
Dan Murphy
SBMum

Post by SBMum »

thanks, Dan! glad it worked for you.
Lynne
zivia

Post by zivia »

Lynne and Dan,

Lynne-I don't know how you go to work with OT. I retired in 2000 and was just beginning to feel the effects of it. It definitely has gotten progressively worse over the years and I know that I would not have been able to continue working.
I wish you all the best.

Dan-You're really lucky that acupuncture works for you. Hope it continues.

Rita
thatchedtavern

Post by thatchedtavern »

Hi,

I have been following Dan's success story, and decided to pursue the same course myself. I have suffered POT for about 7 years now, and have had to give up my business and most of my hobbies, such as golf, because of it.

I have just had my 3rdweekly session of acupuncture this afternoon, but I have not seen any improvement as yet.

I will keep you posted if there is any change.

Jeff
Northwich
Cheshire
England
SBMum

Post by SBMum »

Good Luck Jeff - it didn't help me but who knows? everyone is different.
Dan P. Murphy

Post by Dan P. Murphy »

Jeff,
You are in my prayers!! Good luck!!
Dan Murphy
thatchedtavern

Post by thatchedtavern »

Hi All,

I continued with the accupunture for nearly 2 months. Unfortunately, there was no noticable improvement, and it was my accpunurist who suggested stopping the sessions, as I think she felt a bit guilty taking the money off me when there was no results.

I hope it works for some other people, as if it did, this may encourage more research into it.
Doreen

Post by Doreen »

Hello Dan, are you still getting benifit from your treatment? I am thinking of trying similar treatment.

Doreen
Dan P. Murphy

Post by Dan P. Murphy »

Doreen,
I have not had tremors since July 7th 2010. My legs are getting better. I have not had any acupuncture treatments since Oct. Good luck!!! You are in our prayers!!! I would be glad to give any help if I can.
Dan Murphy
Dan P. Murphy

Post by Dan P. Murphy »

I would just like to say that it has been one year since I have had the tremors(wiggles). My legs are continuing to
improve. I have to thank the Lord and I have to thank Dr. Fiscella for this miracle!! My only hope is that others
would receive the same benefits from acupuncture. I would love to hear from others who may have received some
help from acupuncture.
Sincerely,
Dan P. Murphy
July 7, 2011
Angela

Post by Angela »

Hi Dan,
Was so excited to hear that the acupuncture is working for you. I also have been doing acupunture for the last 3 months,twice a week. I feel on a scale of 1-10 my improvement would be a 6. My Dr on the other hand has not tried putting the needles on my legs. I also have tremors in my hands. She has been only putting them on my head. Using probally 12 to 15 needles and leaving them in for and hour while I lie down. She feels it may have something to do with Brain stimulation. I am the first patient she has ever had with these types of tremors. So she is trying to figure out what will work for me. I am definately going to tell her about trying them in my legs tho.
I spoke to a man who had Essencial Tremors and he said it also helped him. Even tho those are different from what we have, they are tremors, so it must have some effect them. I hope you continue to have success with your acupuncture. Maybe we have found something that works and is not toxic to our bodies, like the meds they keep wanting to give us, that usually don't work!!!! Please continue to post your results as time goes by, and I will do the same. Good Luck!! :P

Angel
Dan P. Murphy

Post by Dan P. Murphy »

Angel,
Sorry it has taken me so long to respond!!! I have been tearing out my kitchen. Life is hectic!!
I no longer take acupuncture. I only took it for a short time. Dr. Fiscella found the right place to place the needles the first time he inserted them. I have not had any tremors now for about 11/2 years. I was very fortunate. My legs continue to get stronger. I will keep you in my prayers!! Hopefully they will find a cure!!! Good Luck!!! Keep in touch.
Dan Murphy