Wheelchairs

This is a forum for "things"- cane/chairs, books, specialized luggage.... anything that has helped, and what hasn't. Add your own tips and reviews.

Moderator: gloria

stella R

Re: Wheelchairs

Post by stella R »

Hi
I have been using a walker with a seat even before i was diagnosed.
I use it for all my shopping and sometimes for other occasions.
I don't worry about what people think anymore. I call it my legs and i thank God for who ever invented it.
I also have a cane with a seat. That also comes in handy.
If i just want to do a very quick trip to the store i will put it in the shopping card, take it out when i need to sit.
That works for me also.
I use a wheelchair for traveling
It's all about what helps us to get out as much as we wish to.
Hope to see some of you at the meeting
Stella
Marianne

Post by Marianne »

Hello Mike! I think I've mentioned this in past postings. I use a motorized scooter for "outings" (food shopping, etc.). I know you live in Spain, but here in the US, many supermarkets and larger stores have the motorized carts. If I know that they do, I use theirs; otherwise, my scooter is always in the back of our SUV and my husband gets it out by using a lift that is attached to the hitch of the truck. I would probably be a shut-in if I didn't have access to a scooter. A rollator helps me on short outings, e.g. trips to the doctor. At the moment, I can only stand about 10 seconds before having to hold on to someone or something. I can tell you that the motorized scooters can be manuevered in small spaces (much easier than a bulky wheelchair). I can go into a department store and manuever through the racks very easily. Its all a matter of what you feel comfortable in. When I still had strength in my legs I rejected the carts and everything else that would assist me. Now, I am actually happy that I have these. It really allows me my freedom.

Stay Happy :!:
Kaylie
Denverjean

Post by Denverjean »

Be careful of using wheelchairs in wandering and blah..blah.. The disadvantage of using wheelchairs in airport is that busy airports may take their sweet time getting an airline chair to you, and it can take a half hour or more in some cases for an airline employee to be available to push you where you need to go. You can get around this dilemma if someone who is flying with you will navigate your chair so please secure yourself. :)