post your product reviews here.....

This is a forum for "things"- cane/chairs, books, specialized luggage.... anything that has helped, and what hasn't. Add your own tips and reviews.

Moderator: gloria

stella R

Re: post your product reviews here.....

Post by stella R »

HI
I have that same sling cane and i find it very handy.
I also use a walker .
Sometimes if i am making a short trip to the supermarket i will put my cane in the cart and
take it out to sit on as i need to.

regards
stella
Polly

Post by Polly »

My mum uses an office chair to move around the kitchen with, as it is on wheels and it swivels, she can move about then when she gets to the work top she can raise the seat to a working level, this is not ideal by any means but at least she can still manage some things. She finds she must have a back to a chair and that she also has to have her feet supported, a perch stool (which has been suggested) is no good as her feet do not touch the ground and she starts to shake. How to others cope doing normal kitchen things? There seem to be a shortage of products to help this condition. My dad is also disabled with Arthritis and parkinsons and now have a carer come in at lunch time to prepare and cook lunch because mum is unable to do it. My sister and I provide lunch for them at the weekends and I do the washing, she has had her bathroom turned into a wet room they can sit on a seat and have a shower (dad has a carer help him) and therefore do not have to step into a bath or shower tray.
gardenwoman

Post by gardenwoman »

stella R wrote:HI
I have that same sling cane and i find it very handy.
I also use a walker .
Sometimes if i am making a short trip to the supermarket i will put my cane in the cart and
take it out to sit on as i need to.

regards
stella
Hello
I can no longer manage with a cane seat because I get too shaky in the process of putting it up, I need something instant. So I now have a "Shopaseat" (available in uk) that is like a shopping trolley but with a seat on the top of it and a small basket that can be attached to the front , it means that I can instantly sit without having to do anything. I was a bit embarrassed about using anything at first, but now that I have got used to it, I no longer care and can even sometimes have a laugh about it when someone makes comment like "oh, you push your own stool around, thats handy". I have also customised it to make it bright pink!
stella R

Post by stella R »

HI
i have wheels on my stool, which i use at my stove and kitchen sink.
I then use one of these plastic stools to put my feet on.
That seems to work for me.
We all sure seem to be in the same boat.

However i could not think of shopping without my walker.
take care everyone
stella
Helen TO

Soft, spongey bath mat.

Post by Helen TO »

Hi everybody,
I have found a new product that makes bathing/ showering feel much safer. It is a soft, spongey type bath mat 17"x 36" that is held securely to the bottom of the bath by suction cups. It is machine washable and described as 'the most comfortable mat you can buy'. I agree, I can dig in my toes and feel quite secure in a standing postion. I also kneel in the tub so it is great for the aging knee cartilage. The product is under the name Bathscope and the model # 79WWBA. In the States it is available from Lowes and in Canada from Canadian Tire, the cost is $14.95 Canadian. The word Zenith also appears on the wrapping. I have contacted the company as I only have part of the wrapping paper left but I think that you would have enough details here in order to make a purchase. Hope that everyone is doing well and has been cheered up by Peggy's fund raising achievements!
Helen
Diana

Post by Diana »

Hi
my daughter brought her pull along suitcase with her this holiday it has a fairy on the front and a bright pink handle!! managed to persuade her to allow me to pull it along (fantastic ) It really took away the anxiety of standing in the long line of passangers ,that was until i got frisked at the metal detector, the officer must have thought i was carrying something as when the machine went off i had to stand alone shaking like a leaf !! bright red in the face, what started the machine of was a metalic coated plastic necklace not even metal.

anyhow the pull along suitcase was of help.

Kind Regards Diana
MaureenB

Post by MaureenB »

Last year I found a shopping trolley on the internet ,it’s called ....shop a seat ...VERY STURDY...for panic moments it has two wheels the pull along type...Its manufactured by....J&CR Wood of Yorkshire uk . www.shopaseat.co.uk I purchased it from Amazon......poss available world wide. ...I have found it a great help, I have to say not the most glamorous but I feel we all fall between two stools, not wheelchair bound but need more help other than a folding walking (standing) stick. ,,,
However probably not the type of thing I would recommend for the guys.

I would be lost with it at this stage of O T.
MaureenB
gardenwoman

Post by gardenwoman »

Cant agree more, Maureen, I have mentioned this item before on the OT site. I got mine through ebay, you can also order them from the manufacturers directly. There is also a 4 wheeled verson that sometimes I feel might be better for me because I could push it and have more control over it therefore lessening the risk of knocking into things. I have customised mine by putting some thin but firm plastic around the grey box, mine is now bright pink - which makes it a bit more interesting! :roll: I dont find my folding stick seat much help these days because I get so wobbly, I knock it over. Sometimes I use a wheelchair, it all depends where I am going and how much space there will be to get around. Nice to hear from another uk north of england member, do you get any help from a local neurologist?
All the best
MaureenB

Post by MaureenB »

[quote="gardenwoman"]All the best[/quote]
Thanks for the idear gardenwoman regarding customising the trolly, sounds great... I was unsure about the 4 wheel version incase the faffing around with the leaver to steady it was not instant enough, however I can see the advantage for control
The Walton Centre where I see the Neurologist is only about 20min drive from Southport , its in the grounds of Fazakerley Hospital,We have tried various medications , however no improvement only side effects,I am not on any medication at present, I will be seeing Dr Weishman next month and I will mention about how Mikes had steady Legs for a while after his Opperation..Keeping on gardening enjoy the good weather... kindest regards maureen.
magnbud

The Walkin" Bag- Zip Cart-Seat

Post by magnbud »

Hello to my fellow friends with OT. I am leaving for Europe soon, and I have not found the need to use a wheelchair yet while travelling. I found a wonderful carry on bag with wheels and a handle that can take weight, so you can lean on it a bit. The bag rolls sideways, or behind you. Best of all a sturdy seat folds out the back of the frame! I plan to take it to the antique flea markets in Paris. There is a top zipper to easily drop pakages in as I shop! It is very lightweight too. I think it will be a perfect item for people with some mobility issues like us! I will have my chair where-ever I go! It was developed by a Polio survivor and busy traveler. The one I bought is the Zip Cart2/Seat. Here is a link to their website walkinbag.com. - Maggie Neal
Tulsa , OK
golfnut

Post by golfnut »

We do share the problem of needing to sit... I am going to check out which one of these three legged ones that will suit me the best. : http://www.walkstool.com/uk/indexframe.html

I want to use this in order to be able to go to a museum or a similar place were there are perhaps lines to stand in, items to look at, and the pace is slow. I want something quite high - lika a bar stool not to be too far down from other peoples faces. I know these stools are light weight and easy to bring along.
As it's a Swedish product I hope to be able to visit them and try the various hights..
I'll keep you posted as to how it works out!
MaureenB

Post by MaureenB »

Hi Golfnut
I just looked at the web site for the walkstool, it looks great ,will be interested to hear how you rate it.

Regards Maureen.
Marlana

Post by Marlana »

[quote="MaureenB"]Hi Golfnut
I just looked at the web site for the walkstool, it looks great ,will be interested to hear how you rate it.

Regards Maureen.[/quote]
I'm new to this site and have yet to be officially diagnosed with OT, but after researching and spending days on this site, I am almost positve I'm one of the gang here. I have an appointment with a new neurologist in about a month, I'll be loaded with info I've found here to help him give me the tests I need to gt a proper diagnosis.
Anyway, I have just returned the Walkstool. I bought the next to the tallest size trying to get at a barstool height which is about 30". I went for the lesser one (28" I think) because I was concerned the 32" would be too tall to sit on safely. I loved it's lightness and compactness, so small you could carry it without hardly even noticing it, less than 2 lbs. Neat little carry bag, folded up the size of a tribpod for a camera.
I sent it back because it hurt my legs when I sat on it. The seat is a mesh that sinks down about two inches, so the 28 quickly became only 26", so that was shorter than I wanted and it was so uncomfortable to sit on I couldn't deal with it for more than five minutes. I considered trying the taller and thus larger seat, but because the legs are at the height mentioned, 28" I had to strattle it, forcing me to mount it like a horse, one leg at a time... not a good idea with my balance issues. I figured the 32" one would be too high to even attempt such a feat. So I sent it back.
I just tried another seat at a friend's house. He plays the upright bass and has the adjustable and folding bass stool found online at lemurmusic.com. I can only say that I used it for a couple of hours today and it was comfortable. No back, but adjustable and weighs 11lbs. folds flat and is stable, and if it matters how it looks, it does look nice and professional. I'm a chorus director and need to be high yet look nice as I'm directing.

Hope this is helpful, and thank you all for creating such a wealth of information here.
Marlana
amandalambert

Post by amandalambert »

I went to the Mayo Clinic in rochester MN in 2005 & saw Dr Matsomto & was told I had OT. I have been on Neurontin ever since. I take 600mg at least 4 times a day & at night 400. Seems to work pretty good for me. I am 84 yrs. old & still working as an Interior Designer. I have a cane chair &: take it when I go shopping. If I skip a dose, I can feel it. I try to take it every 3 o 4 hrs.

Amanda Lambert, Arroyo Grande, Calif.
Betty

Post by Betty »

Hello Amanda,

Well Bless Your Heart! You seem to be doing very well on Neurontin and I am happy it is working for you. I think it's wonderful you are able to continue to do what you enjoy; working as an Interior Designer.

I was one of the "original" group who went to the Mayo Clinic in MN and we had Dr. Matsomoto meet with us. We had a wonderful meeting and found Dr. Matsomoto to be quite interested in meeting all of us.

I don't have a cane chair, but I feel it would be very helpful when one is shopping or trying to stand to check things. I do have a cane, but it doesn't give much support. I only use it because it makes others aware I have a problem.

Stay well....

Betty