making taking a shower easier

This is a forum for "things"- cane/chairs, books, specialized luggage.... anything that has helped, and what hasn't. Add your own tips and reviews.

Moderator: gloria

magnbud

making taking a shower easier

Post by magnbud »

I traveled to Europe in September and many of the hotels there have long moveable metal wands with the shower head on the end which allowed me to sit in the bathtub and wash my hair. It was like heaven! The day I got home, I bought one and installed it in my shower. Now I can shampoo in leisure, and I don't shake the entire time. It's relaxing instead of tiring now. When I travel in American hotels now, I really miss my hand held wand! Just a suggestion that helps me!!
stillstanding

Trouble standing in the shower

Post by stillstanding »

:roll: I have the most difficult time in the shower. I feel like am going to go down. My legs become like jello. I think that I use the muscles in my legs so much more to try and stand still with out falling all day that when the hot water hits them they become worse because they relax and I cant stand still as it is. We are building a new bathroom with a seat in it and shower jets. Does anyone else have more trouble standing in the shower.
J

trouble showering

Post by J »

i use a shower chair whilst at home and take a portable walking stick/seat with me when i travel for use in motels or at the homes of friends
Betty

Taking a Shower

Post by Betty »

Hello to all!

I was posting on another topic site and added the following:

"This should probably go under another topic ~ but I will ask here; do any of you find bathing one of the MOST difficult things you do? I have a built in seat in our shower, with a "wand" type shower head, but that doesn't do it for me. I find I MUST be seated at all times and when I try to stand to dry my body; it takes every ounce of energy I have just to do that. Since the floor of the shower or tub is wet and slippery, I become very tense because I fear I will fall. By the time I have finished; I am breathless and totally exhausted. I would love to hear any thoughts or suggestions others might have."

As I read other topics, I found this one and found I should have put my question here.

To "stillstanding"; I found your explanation exactly what I feel! As you can see from what I have written above, we have a shower with a built in seat with a "wand" type shower head as "magnbud" described, but that doesn't seem to work as well for me. I MUST be sitting down in order to feel safe so I have had to revert to taking baths again. I guess the most difficult thing for me is having to stand to dry my body. How do all of you cope with this problem? I would love to hear your comments.

Betty
magnbud

Post by magnbud »

I just read your message about difficulty dryng off after a shower while standing. Do you have room in your bathroom for a small stool? You can buy shower chairs made of plastic that are fairly small, but secure and you could simply get out of the shower and sit right down on the chair and take your time drying with your bath towel. If you put one towel on the seat of the shower chair and another to dry off with, it would probably work better. Maggie
Betty

Taking a Shower

Post by Betty »

Hi Maggie,

Thanks for your suggestions. I guess my main problem is we spend our summers in the mountains of North Carolina and our baths here only have tub/showers. I find it very difficult to stand and step out of the tub in order to dry myself. I have been standing in the tub and you know how unsteady we become when trying to stand to do anything; when wet and slippery ~ it is scary and exhausting!

I DO have room in the bathroom to use a stool (I have one for brushing my teeth, combing my hair, etc.), so I could place it next to the tub and use it as you suggested. I certainly will try it; anything to make life easier!

The shower with the built in seat and 'wand' showerhead is in Florida; 8) which is where we live. But, I also have a stool in that bathroom as well and may just do the same thing there; it sounds so much more secure.

I'll let you know how it works for me ~ anything will be better than what I am doing now!

Thanks again!
Betty
J

Bathing and a few other things about OT for me

Post by J »

I have been reading about having a bath instead of the shower. I usually shower using the shower chair with the holes so water runs through and then do what the previous writer suggested and put a towel on the stool and sit on this whilst drying myself with the second towel. 8)
But, i love a good soak in the bath. My mumma and dadda gave me their bath seat to use which is an old-fashioned piece of wood that sits across the bath above the water so you sit on that and lower yourself down then, do the reverse to get out whilst holding onto the chrome fitting handle on the wall above the bath. Ah! A wonderful relaxing lavender bath. :D
I could see the funny side that the 88 and 89 years old couple gave me their bath seat to use! :lol:
Also, i have put on weight due to lack of exercise and have been going to work out on the Pilates table (Gloria that may have to be edited if I cant mention the type of exercise apparatus) as the exercises seem to be gentle and stretching the cramped up muscles in my legs and particularly my back. I have noticed that heat applications with the wheat bags also helps pain and therefore I may not need to resort to pain medications.
I might as well be in for a sheep than a lamb and write about how when I do go out and about I become completely exhausted with the effort it takes to stop the tremor. I start perspiring as if i am doing extreme exercises but have realised this is not emotional anxiety it is just that it takes quite a deal of effort to stand. I added that last piece because in reading the messages on OT it seems common in the beginning to think that one is sufffering from some type of anxiety before the diagnosis of OT is made.
I have to crack it hardy when with family and colleges as I am afraid they are of the opinion this OT is a minor inconvenience and I can overcome it This forum gives me a voice. One daughter is convinced if I went to the gym I could make my legs strong enough to be able to control the tremor by sheer muscle power. I toddled along for 3 months with no result but I tried! and I must admit I have improved my cardio-respiratory system. :shock:
I am rather angry about this condition. Why no cure? Why me? I am apparantly not moving to the stage of acceptance but I suppose it will come sooner or later. :evil: :roll: :wink:
Betty wrote she cannot play golf and I was never that physical but did like tai chi but you can imagine how funny it is that I picked that discipline as I had not been diagnosed and I couldnt work out why I shook as I tried to do the exercises. :lol: I suppose it makes life interesting to find ways to get aound the social, vocational, physical and psychological challenges this conditon throws at us and I do take note that it is not life threatening just a great inconvenience. :idea:
porotin

To Ot friend's

Post by porotin »

Hello I dicide to post here too. Betty I used to play tennis I haven done it for long 7 years now I have to stop becouse of balance problems!!
I also have problem when I dry myself but I sit on a chair,when i walk to the bus stop I do not drive.
I agree with you Jacky: This condition gives as a lot of challenges?? and like the Dr said is a great inconvenience!! I also suffer from ET so I sheik when i pick up a glass of water any drink??and I am writting you now my fingers tremor too.
I want to say hello to the people of this messages and send my hello to everybody Porotin
Betty

Exercises and OT

Post by Betty »

Thank you for your suggestions regarding drying after a bath.

I also enjoyed your comments: "My mumma and dadda gave me their bath seat to use which is an old-fashioned piece of wood that sits across the bath above the water so you sit on that and lower yourself down then, do the reverse to get out whilst holding onto the chrome fitting handle on the wall above the bath. Ah! A wonderful relaxing lavender bath."

You also mentioned exercises and it had been suggested to you to try doing some to strengthen your muscles. Well, I can attest to the fact, it may indeed help you to become stronger, but at the same time it will fatigue your muscles to the point of extreme weakness; I know because I tried that.

It was suggested to me by my primary physician, (before I knew I have OT), to get a personal trainer to help me regain some strength. I worked with a woman for over three months, three times a week, two hours at the time. I now know that was entirely too strenuous.

I DID become stronger in the legs and upper body; I could leg press more weight, lift more weight and kept going up in the amount of weights I was using. I walked for 30 minutes on a treadmill at 3.5 miles per hour, rode a bike for 30 minutes and did floor exercises, lying down becaue I couldn't do them standing. My tremors would become so severe, several times my trainer would tell me to stop. She said she couldn't understand why I was gaining in strength, yet becoming weaker.

As most of us now know, it is important to continue to keep our muscles as firm and strong as possible, but exercising too much can be harmful. Gentle exercises and walking seem to be best ~ don't do what I did and push yourself because you think that is what is necessary to become strong again ~ it doesn't work!

You said you are rather angry about this condition ~ I think we all are to some extent; and you said you apparently are not moving to the stage of acceptance ~ that is a hard one. I think I have accepted the fact there are things which I love to do, such as play golf, but are not a reality for me right now. I try to keep a positive attitude and continue to hope I will once again be able to participate in one of my favorite sports.

Yes, it is a challenge to try to learn new and different ways to cope with OT ~ it seems to be a constant learning experience. I also have ET and Positional Vertigo thrown into the mix ~ so I am one "mixed up" person! :? As you said, "it is not life threatening just a great inconvenience".

Porotin, I used to play tennis as well; but I gave that up for golf! :) You said you also have ET ~ I know that is another challenge; and often makes one appear clumsy; which is not the case. Just try to be that happy person :D you seem to be. We all certainly understand and this site helps all of us let others know what we are doing and feeling. :wink:

Betty 8)
J

OT & Exercises

Post by J »

Thanks Betty and others for your reply about exercises.
I was really trying and did not want to say that I felt weaker after the exercises to my family as they thought it would make me able to stand for a longer period of time.
It is winter here at the moment and I live in a particularly cold (for us in aussie)place -7C` to 11C` place and so I dont go for long walks as I have trigeminal neuralgia which can be started by a cold blast of air to the face. I have a bike indoors but the sciatica is not too good for that. I dont know if anyone else has this neurological involvement along with the OT. My doctor thinks it is unconnected and more likely a symptom of the SLE which I have had for years.
Since Betty wrote about the weight creeping on I have lost 1kg by cutting out the sugar in my numerous cups of tea so thanks for that.
I would like to know if anyone can help if there are any of the members of this group who are perfectly healthy except for the OT. It just seems so far that we all have some other condition but of course I dont know about so many of you.
The neurologist I go to admits he know nought about this condition and last time I saw him he asked what has been said in this forum. Like, whats new any papers? what do they say? He is pretty busy with his work load at a major hospital with many really sick people so I can understand I am not a top priority for his reading list but he is willing to listen. He ordered an anti-convulsant last time but now I am going to suggest to him that I take it only when I want to do something which may require standing still and take the benzo at the same time. Up till now I take them at the same time every day and dont feel they do any good. In other words, why take the drug all the time when I can be more specific and take only when needed. Does that make sense to any of you out there. Of course, I will follow the doctors instructions but as this is a relatively unknown condition I am lucky to be able to discuss options with him and any personal information I can tell him is helpful.
Thank you all so much I have learned about exercises, bathing,medications and maybe a little patience and humility about how much more some of you have to cope with beside OT.
Anyone watching the Olympics! Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi! Oi! Oi! Not bad for a country of only 16 million eh?
Just thought I would leave with a note of jocundity!
Eleanor W

Shower

Post by Eleanor W »

I have to add my two cents worth about showering. My tremors are pretty good, and there are many things I can no longer do. But showering is NOT one of them. I have a stool in the shower as well as a bar of the shower wall. I have a cover on the toilet seat and, before I get in the shower, I put a towel over the cover. When I get out of the shower I sit on the towel-covered toilet seat to dry. No problem! :lol:
magnbud

Post by magnbud »

Jaqueline from Australia was wondering if there was anyone in our group that was totally healthy other than OT. Except for a slight herniated disk that is usually no problem, I haven't been diagnosed with any other illnesses. So, I am able to pretty much conclude that my symptoms are largely the result of OT. They include, shaking legs while standing or walking slowly, sweating when standing too long, a feeling of unbalance, difficulty getting started walking, pain in my legs, getting tired by early evening and feeling achy. Same symptoms everyone else describes. I am 51 and had this several years but have only been diagnosed a year and a half. I take Klonipin and Neurontin with some improvement. I had to cut the doses down due to various side effects. I tolerate the current doses well unless I have a cold or something and take other medications, then I feel quite drugged and sleepy. - Maggie
J

Bathing

Post by J »

Dear Magnabud,
MY goodness where has the year gone. I have been working my way through the topics on the website and read yours and it helped because so far you are the only one who mentioned sweating when you are trying to stand still. I couldnt work out if it was me being embaressed by the tremor whilst i am standing at the check out or whether it is part of the OT. I dont feel particularly worried about what people in the shop think as I now go to the quiet little supermarket and the lovely young people are nice but I still sweat. So, thanks for your insights. Its incredible that it is jan 2005. I hope you are going allright at the moment How long have you had OT? I have found that the neurontin makes me sleepy too but am giving it a trial. Best wishes.
George Allen

Re: making taking a shower easier

Post by George Allen »

In addition to buying a plastic shower seat for my shower stall, I also replaced the fixed shower head with a hand held unit.
That way I do not have to be a contortionist to get my feet and lower legs washed. It also has several settings so I can get a bit of a massage while just sitting there enjoying the feel of the hot water.

We also have a second full bathroom in the lower level of our condo. I installed the same model of hand held shower unit in the end of the tub. If I have to use the shower in the lower level, I merely have to take the shower chair from the main level down to the other bathroom.
sharonmathews

Re: making taking a shower easier

Post by sharonmathews »

I too have great difficulty taking a shower or bath. I have resorted to a sturdy shower chair for taking a shower. Thank goodness the shower head can be hand held that I have. I usually have a towel ready for when I am finished showering to dry off mostly seated in the shower chair in the shower. I also have a vanity bench that I sit on to finish drying. I sit on this vanity bench to dry my hair and brush my teeth and all the other things I need to do to get dressed.
I find it really frightening getting in and out of the bath or shower. Afraid of falling because I already have a bad back with rods and screws and so much pain. I am alone most of the time. So I know if I fell it would be a while before I could get some help to get up.
Traveling and getting a shower is very difficult. I am thinking about purchasing a shower chair to leave at my daughters house in Maryland so it will be there to shower at her home. On several visits I have had the most difficult time getting a shower or bath. Haven't said anything to her about it but I am going to buy one for my next visit and have it delivered to her home. Traveling is really difficult if you don't have the stools and chairs and walkers and wheelchairs that you need.
It's just like having a baby, only I am the baby.
Sharon Mathews
Brandon, Florida