Exercise and manual stretching- positive effects

This is a forum for "things"- cane/chairs, books, specialized luggage.... anything that has helped, and what hasn't. Add your own tips and reviews.

Moderator: gloria

Helen TO

Exercise and manual stretching- positive effects

Post by Helen TO »

I was diagnosed officially last August but have known that there was something wrong since the late nineties. I am taking clonazapan to help me deal with the stress of travelling or attending special occasions. I do not chose to take it regularly incase I have to up the dosage to be effective.
In October I had a full assessment done by a Neurological Physiotherapist and now engage in regular exercises to improve strength, balance and flexibility. I am also in a weekly Yoga class which is very gentle and involves meditation. All exercises are done while lying on the floor or sitting on a chair so I am tremor free!!
But best of all I have joined a gym where I can carry out the Physiotherapists exercise program. The gym also offers a unique program of manual stretching. Isaac Levy who owns Vision Gym in Toronto, Canada has developed a stretch routine which in my case focusses on the legs. He stretches every part of my legs including hamstrings and pelvic areas. I really feel the benefit of increased flexibility. My movements in Yoga have correspondingly improved.
Of course the tremor is still there but it does not seem to have the same impact on me. I feel stronger and more confident. It is still exhausting to perform prolonged household tasks, gardening, vacuuming in hard to reach places, preparing food in large quantities etc.
I will be returning to my Neurologist in May and we will discuss the options regarding taking other medication. But at the moment I am feeling content just to keep up the exercising and being stretched. I still do my in-bed stretch routine before getting up in the morning! If any one is interested I can give you the website for the gym that I attend. Would love to hear from any one else in Toronto who has an OT diagnosis.
Helen. sandersonhelen@rogers.com
Last edited by Helen TO on Fri May 02, 2008 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blossom

Re: Exercise and manual stretching- positive effects

Post by Blossom »

was diagnosed with OT in 2006 having had noticeably worsening symptoms since Jan 2003 after we had lost our home in a bushfire. During those 3 years there were a succession of other stressful events which adversely affected my health. Undoubtedly post traumatic stress was also a contributer. After investigation of various symptoms I was diagnosed with depression polycystic ovary syndrome, developing type II diabetes, high blood pressure. The Dr. said the medication I had been prescribed would not be causing the shaking problem. Iwas referred to a psychologist and while that was helpful in some ways it just convinced me that the shaking was not simply due to panic. Luckily I found this website and asked to be referred to a neurologist and he immediately diagnosed OT. He prescribed Gabapentin. When I went back for a follow up visit 3 months later he was surprised that I had seen some improvement as his other OT patients had not noticeably improved but this was with a low dose. I had also taken up stretch and core strength exercise classes. The neurologist recommended that I try gradually going off the gabapentin to see if in fact the improvement was due to the exercise classes. After Christmas I decided to do that and also stopped the other medication I was taking. Since then I have had a considerable reduction in the OT symptoms and my blood pressure is lower than with blood pressure medicine. I am sure the exercise classes have helped considerably. So I was interested to hear of Helen's positive experience with exercise.

Blossom
Cynthia

Exercise

Post by Cynthia »

Hello, I was diagnosed with POT in 1983 and in recent years have been taking Gabapentin. 400mg x 3 times a day which changed my life as I found it so much eaier to stand If I am going to a drinks party or something similar I take another 200 mg. just that one time which helps a lot. I was very interested to hear comments about exercise because I joined a gym a few years ago and have strengthened my legs, which is an enormous help in coping with the tremor. I have even had people recently asking me if my tremor was better because they had not noticed me having a problem. Of course it is not better and I manage to hide a lot but there is no question that I am coping so much better than in the early days.

Cynthia
England
RichardS

Re: Exercise

Post by RichardS »

Very interested to hear this, Cynthia; can you describe the exercises you were given?

Richard - Somerset, UK

Cynthia wrote:Hello, I was diagnosed with POT in 1983 and in recent years have been taking Gabapentin. 400mg x 3 times a day which changed my life as I found it so much eaier to stand If I am going to a drinks party or something similar I take another 200 mg. just that one time which helps a lot. I was very interested to hear comments about exercise because I joined a gym a few years ago and have strengthened my legs, which is an enormous help in coping with the tremor. I have even had people recently asking me if my tremor was better because they had not noticed me having a problem. Of course it is not better and I manage to hide a lot but there is no question that I am coping so much better than in the early days.

Cynthia
England
marjun

Re: Exercise

Post by marjun »

[quote="RichardS"]Very interested to hear this, Cynthia; can you describe the exercises you were given?

Richard - Somerset, UK

[/quote]

Me too, I'm very interested to hear this.
karenallen

Post by karenallen »

When I was diagnosed, the neurologist at Duke said, "I've got good news and bad news...the bad news is that you have orthostatic tremors, there's no cure and you're always going to have it; and the good news is that it won't get any worse...yours is as bad as it gets."

I'm still waiting for really good news...like medication that really works or better yet, a cure.

I was diagosed with OT in 1990, so I've been dealing with this "hidden" disability for a long time. Why do I call it hidden? Because I'm physically fit otherwise and people just simply don't understand why I can't stand for more than a couple of minutes without support. What helps? Exercise. I walk a lot. I walk briskly because walking slowly is not an option, and I try to get in at least a mile or two. Not only does it keep my legs and core strong, but it simply makes me feel better. I also work out in the gym 5 days a week to stay strong by lifting weights and doing resistance training.

I walk and play golf (I play quickly...I don't spend a lot of time in the tee box or analyzing my shot). I've always got a three-legged stool strapped to my golf bag and one in the trunk of my car.

I "do" my life sitting...from cooking while sitting on a stool to sitting on the edge of the tub to shave my legs, you name it, I can probably figure out how to do it sitting down. It's a matter of doing the best you can to keep going and enjoy life.
gloria

Post by gloria »

Hi Karen
It's a matter of doing the best you can to keep going and enjoy life.
It sounds like you are doing great for having been diagnosed in 1990. It's great that you are exercising and walking, it has always been very important in my life.

Best wishes in the New Year

Gloria
gardenlily

Post by gardenlily »

Hi Helen,
I hope you do not mind me contacting you but saw from your post that you are from Toronto. I live in the Kingston area and was finally diagnosed with POT last year(in Toronto) after many, many years of trying to get a doctor here to take me seriously. I was encouraged by your results and wondered how you were still doing. I find my tremors have become a little worse but it depends on the day, too. I will try to find some exercises that I can begin and see how I am able to cope. It would be great to see some improvement in the tremors.
Thanks for your post.
Gardenlily(Rae)