Travelling tips

This is a forum for "things"- cane/chairs, books, specialized luggage.... anything that has helped, and what hasn't. Add your own tips and reviews.

Moderator: gloria

Lynda

Travelling tips

Post by Lynda »

Hello Everybody,
It's great to have a new forum to post our messages on! I've really missed hearing how everyone is getting on.
I'm feeling very well at the moment - but just struggling in certain situations I'm faced with. I find there's usually ways of coping - and things are getting easier as friends and family are starting to understand what OT is all about! They're all very supportive.
I was wondering if anyone could help me. We have been invited, as a family, to Bali in April. I'm really excited about going but I haven't done much travelling, and to be honest I'm dreading the challenges of the journey there and back - especially the queues in the airports etc. Has anyone had any experience of this and do you have any tips that might help me? I don't want my worries to spoil the holiday for everyone else!
I look forward to hearing from anyone that can help.
Betty

Travel Tips

Post by Betty »

Hi Lynda,
I just read your posting about your trip to Bali in April, and you were asking about travel tips. We have traveled a bit and I understand your concern getting around in airports, etc.
I know wheelchairs are available upon request. They will be available for you at curbside to the plane and from the plane to curbside ~ this will eliminate lots of worry about having to stand. I have not yet done this myself, but have friends who have and find it so much less stressful. You might want to consider checking into this. It should make your holiday more enjoyable.

Betty from Florida 8)
Sue

Travel Tips

Post by Sue »

Hi Lynda
It's great to have the message site back again! Thanks for your card. I have used a wheelchair when we travelled back from the Baltic a few years ago. I was travelling with a friend who had MS and he needed a wheelchair and as I was having trouble standing still my husband got me a wheelchair. My friend and I were the first to board the plane at St Petersburg but there weren't wheelchairs immediately available on landing at Stansted so we were transported in an airport van!! It helps to pre-book the wheelchair I think! I also have a three legged fold up walking stick seat which is great if you are standing in the check-in queue.

Good luck with the trip I am sure you will have a great time.

Best wishes
Sue
Lynda

Travel tips

Post by Lynda »

Hi Sue and Betty,
Thanks so much for your prompt replies to my message - they were very helpful.
I will consider getting a wheelchair at the airport. I suppose I feel a bit of a fraud because I can walk without trouble, but not stand! I could almost do with the wheelchair just to lean on!
I have recently invested in a portable folding stool, so I must remember to take that with me.
It was great to hear from you both and to be in touch with everyone again.
Keep smiling
Lynda
admin
Site Admin

good topic

Post by admin »

I've assigned this as a "sticky" topic, which means that it will stay at the top of the list. I think that this is such a good topic especially for any new visitors that may be looking for good "how to" tips. So if you have any travel suggestions, big or small, keep posting them here.

Should there also be a topic about "everyday tips for dealing with OT", such as the sports chair that was mentioned?
gloria

Post by gloria »

Lynda:

I too recommend the use of a wheelchair at the airport. By doing so we eliminate the two things in the airport environment that are overwhelming to us, one is trying to navigate through the crowds and secondly we are constantly finding ourselves in lines. For me the airport was the hardest part of traveling however in recent years I do not find it a problem at all. The airport personnel are delightfully helpful and so are the airlines if you notify them of your needs. We must learn to bury our pride, it is better to sit in a wheelchair than sitting on the floor in embarrassment. If your trip is to a destination that is new to you try to find out in advance about things you might be planning to do while you are there. Information about accommodations, available transportation while there , what kind of tours, sightseeing and physical demands that might be required to participate. Get as much information as you can and in all probability you will use the same coping skills as you would in a familiar environment. I have found that if we learn to ask for a little help we can reduce the physical stress level tremendously and therefore can enjoy and accomplish more. Go, have fun and be intrigued by all that is new and exciting , Gloria

Gloria
Lynda

Travel tips

Post by Lynda »

Hi Gloria and everyone,

Thanks very much for your helpful suggestions and encouragement re travelling. I've taken note of all that you (and the others) have said and I'm feeling more confident about the trip already - in fact I'm really looking forward to it. I've decided to let the airline know about my particular needs, swallow my pride and go for it! We can't let OT beat us!

If anyone else has tips on travelling with OT, keep them coming in...It's so good to share experiences and ideas.

I'll let everyone know how I get on in April.

Best wishes

Lynda
Patty G

Post by Patty G »

Dear Lynda and Other OT travelers,
I am from Alaska and fly for most trips. The use of a wheelchair at the airports is a must. People don't look where they are going, many bump into you and/or stop short in front of you. If you request a wheelchair, most airlines will have them available when you get to the counter, some will have them available at curb side if they have outside porters. Some airlines no longer have porters and some airports don't allow them as close to the terminal as they did before 9/11. If you have to make connections, you should give yourself plenty of time as there might be a delay in getting a wheelchair to the plane after you land and before you make your connection. I have been on flights where there have been as many as eleven wheelchair passengers. Sometimes the airlines will run out of wheelchairs and you will have to wait until one is available. If you are able to walk to the end of the ramp, they can sometimes call for a cart to pick you up. I usually keep the wheelchair for boarding as some ramps are very steep and very long.
Some airlines have customer care rooms that are available to handicapped passengers who have a long layover. They are usually rooms with couches and chairs, a television, coin operated snack and drink machines and restrooms. United Airlines main hub is Denver and their concourse is one mile long. They have at least two customer care centers where they will take you, check you in with the attendant and come and pick you up for your flight. This way the wheelchair is available for others to use. They will also take you to and pick you up from restaurants if you need a meal.
I have a folding shower chair that I take with me on trips. I have to take a larger suitcase on even short trips, but I find a shower chair is mandatory for my safety and comfort in showering. I use a cane whenever I am away from home. I feel more confident and safe. It is also a physical sign that tells others that I have a problem with mobility. That way if I have a problem they will know that I am not drunk or on something but have a physical problem. I find that the cane also opens up opportunities to tell others about OT.
Before I started using the wheelchair, I traveled in Europe and used the cane with a seat. It was a big help when I wanted to study something in a museum. I used it going through customs and couldn't have gotten through those lines without it. I had started using a wheelchair before 9/11 and can't imagine going through security lines without it!
Some airports have started having a wooden cane available so that you can use it to walk through the metal detector and not have to be patted down in the wheelchair.
Two other things that I have discovered that help me travel is a belt that inflates with air. You can pump it up to just the correct amount of support for your lower back while you are sitting on the plane. I also have problems with my tail bone hurting. I wait until we have reached altitude, then I inflat a neck support pillow with a little amount of air, place it in the seat facing backwards and sit on it.
I hope this information and suggestions are helpful. Patty
Lynda

Travelling

Post by Lynda »

Hi Everyone

Just to update you all. We're back from Bali and have had a wonderful time! It's a beautiful island and we stayed in a lovely hotel - all in all a very good trip.

The outward journey was a bit daunting as the crowds at Heathrow airport were the worst we'd ever seen. However, I ordered a wheelchair and was pushed to the front of all the queues (at security etc.). My 9-year-old daughter didn't much like the idea of Mum in a wheelchair, but when she saw the advantages she soon got used to the idea! The airline was very good, and at Kuala Lumpur and Bali airports there was a wheelchair waiting for me if I wanted it.

On the return journey (a night flight) everywhere seemed a lot quieter, so I took a chance without a wheelchair and it was fine - no queues at all, until we reached passport control at Heathrow. Here there was a 'fast track' line - so we explained my situation to the lady there and she let us through, completely bypassing the crowds in the queue. So it really was a hassle-free journey and my worries were unfounded.

The holiday itself posed few problems from an OT point of view, although the hotel did have rather a lot of steps without handrails which wasn't easy. I also found shopping in Bali quite stressful, in the places where street-hawkers make themselves a bit of a nuisance. They do like to keep you standing around, trying to persuade you to buy, when all I wanted to do was keep walking!

Anyway, thanks for the tips you all gave me - they really did help!

Best wishes

Lynda
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Hello,

My biggest dilemmas are trains and buses. I look young and walk strongly, so it's awkward to ask someone to give up their seat for me. I've been known to say I have trouble with my knees, cause that's simpler for folks to understand.

Standing-room-only Amtrak trains are frustrating: the only way to be assured of a seat (without having to ask passengers to relinquish theirs) is to pay extra for 'business class'.

Any ideas? Should I flash a wallet card that says - 'certified as disabled'? :wink:

Jennifer
Betty

Travelling Tips

Post by Betty »

Hello Jennifer,

I have seen your posting several times now and no one has responded with any advice for you. I really don't have a solution either, I just wanted you to know I have read your note and that you aren't alone.

You obviously are still working and must travel by bus or train; often having to stand. That does pose quite a problem, especially if it is for any length of time. As we all know, the longer we stand, the more difficult it becomes and the body begins to tremor and the legs become weak ~ at least mine do. Do you ever experience a "freezing" situation? By that I mean after having stood for any length of time, it is almost impossible for me to get my legs to move.

I think if I had to stand for any extended length of time, I might be inclined to ask someone if they would consider allowing me to sit, explaining (as I have done recently) that you have a 'neurological problem'. When I have done this, most people are very understanding and are most willing to be helpful. It is just a thought!

Betty :wink:
marian

Re: Travelling tips

Post by marian »

The main problem I have right now with traveling is taking a shower. I feel like I am going to fall, and don't have the handholds and textured bottom on the tub. I have resorted to sponge baths, and washing my hair in the sink. Any other suggestions?

Bea
Joan

Post by Joan »

Hi Marian, I bought this and take it with me when I travel, actually it grips almost everything so is very handy. I also use it in my R.V. I don't know where you live but I bought it in an "As seen on T.V." store and they included a smaller one as well for $20,00 Canadian.
http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache:yw ... clnk&gl=ca
Betty

Post by Betty »

Hi Marian,

I just wrote a loooooong note regarding the suction travel bars Joan mentioned and LOST it. I will try to recreate it.

I, too, have the suction tub bars Joan mentioned and I purchased mine through WALTER DRAKE. It is a catalog I receive.

I went online ~ wdrake.com and found their home page. From there I scanned the catalog and found the bars and this link should take you to them:

http://www.wdrake.com/WalterDrake/Shopp ... ortBy=Rank ASC

There are three types shown: Jumbo Bar, Dual Suction Cups ~ item #305298 and Travel Suction Handgrip ~ item #306442, both are priced at $12.99 each here in the U.S.

If you would rather call and place an order, the number is: 1-800-525-9291. They may ask you for a number on the back of the catalog; if so, you could say you got the information from a friend and request a catalog ~ they will be happy to send you one. This information is from their Holiday Sale 2009 catalog and the items are on page 39.

This catalog has quite a few things which might be helpful to people like us who have some time of problem.

I hope this helps; good luck.

Betty
marian

Post by marian »

Thank you for your replies. I ordered one of them and it looks like it shoud help. I also ordered the catalog.

Bea