Travelling tips

This is a forum for "things"- cane/chairs, books, specialized luggage.... anything that has helped, and what hasn't. Add your own tips and reviews.

Moderator: gloria

Jennifer

Re: Travelling tips

Post by Jennifer »

Hello! I just had a GOOD experience.
#1 - Amtrak gives a discount to disabled passengers, regardless of whether you use a wheelchair or not. (I am able to use a cane-seat rather than a wheelchair.) This was an unexpected blessing at the ticket window. Not sure how to get that discount when buying online or at a ticket machine.

#2 - I bought a blue&white sticker with the wheelchair symbol. I placed it in a clear plastic nametag sleeve like they give you at conferences to hang around your neck or pinned to your clothing. I got a great help from a variety of folks. Amtrak and airport and airline staff all recognize the symbol immediately and respond readily with minimal explanations needed. In some cases when I got their eye contact, I could just point to the badge and get help even if I was across the room and words weren't exchanged. Strangers also sometimes noticed and volunteered help. One lady gave me her seat on the subway even though I was ten feet away and had just barely turned around to look for empty seats. So nice.

#3 - Many museums have wheelchairs to loan out free and boy that helps a lot. Using the wheelchair was a great lesson in human psychology - folks either stare or seem spooked or ignore me. Fascinating . . . I'm still just a regular person!
Meryl

Post by Meryl »

I just returned from a trip from California to my Home Country, Wales. Also visited England & Bruges, Belgium. I am 76 yrs old & have had OT for about 20 years. I can only stand for 30-60 secs.
I always request a wheelchair when booking any flight & it has always been available. U.S attendants expect tips. They are poorly paid & deserve them. Most European countries do not seem to allow them.
After arrival at gate I request preboarding so that I do not have to stand iinline or for people stowing luggage. I'm always taken thru security via the crew entry & do not have to wait inline.
3 weeks ago I took the Eurostar from London to Brussells proceeding on to Bruges. Speaking to an agent 30 mins before checkin fantastic help was awaiting our arrival. Outside our reserved coach were waiting 3 railroad employees. One supervisor, one with a wheelchair & one with a dolly for the luggage. Two men transported us for the 10 mins it took a healthy passenger to the Bruges platform.
On our return to London we made the mistake of omitting to ask for help. There is a large gap from platform to train with about 3 steps. I sought the help of a nearby strong looking passenger which was given freely. At St Pancras a young Belgian had our bags on the platform, helped us down, before assisting his wife & baby, all without being asked.
I was unprepared for the crush of people waiting to exist the station. I knew I could not stand in the crowd but was rescued by an employee who took us thru a separate exit.
The taxi line was also formidable but I have learned to walk to the front where with my cane I'm allowed to jump the queue.
Steps are always difficult, usually our taxi driver carried the bags inside & helped me up the steps.
The concierge at Hotel Europ in Bruges told me to call him if I needed help.
I could not have done this journey without the help of my friend of 70+ years & it is probably my last trip across the Atlantic. However I said that last year when visiting my son in Germany. The help at Frankfurt airport was fantastic.
I always book hotels with a lift. Showers are a problem, sometimes there are grab bars. I do not recommend a suction bar, they can give way.
Carol

Post by Carol »

I have traveled extensively over the past twelve years managing without a wheelchair at airports. The last two trips, I have requested a wheelchair at the airport and what a difference! I'm not stressed out.
I still carry my stool/cane with me. I find that I do well traveling on small ships. There are always railings on both sides of the stairs.
My OT has progressed since our last big trip/cruise. There are times now when I climb a flight of stairs or walk a bit then hunch over grabbing for a chair or something to lean on.
We are going on a cruise in May. First, we'll visit Kyoto (bus tour included) and then board a small ship to visit islands along the way. We end up in Anchorage. I am petrified of the shore excursions which include a lot of stopping and strolling in a group. I could manage before with my three legged stool/cane, but I am not so sure now. I've called the travel agency, but they don't have much information for me.
I am working very hard on walking every day, some yoga and do water aerobics twice a week, so I'm active, agile and strong for a 71 year old woman.
I may end up buying a "transit chair" that packs up in a canvas bag for the shore excursions. My husband could then push me or I could push the chair. I hate the extra luggage and inconvenience, but….it might be worth it.
I'll manage…..we always do don't we? :)
Carol from Florida six months 8) and Ohio six months :D
gloria

Post by gloria »

Carol: Thanks for your thoughts on coping with the new trip you are planning. Planning ahead is foremost for us no matter what we do. Our traveling OT friends have shared a lot of good information on ways they have managed traveling on these " Travelling tips" pages. Perhaps there is someone that has taken a " transit chair" with them on a trip?

Have a good one! Gloria