Spinal cord stimulator for POT

This is a forum for "things"- cane/chairs, books, specialized luggage.... anything that has helped, and what hasn't. Add your own tips and reviews.

Moderator: gloria

Marianne

Spinal cord stimulator for POT

Post by Marianne »

It’s been some time since I posted on the forum. I’ve had POT for 25 years and have tried a myriad of medications, none have which have helped my tremors. The only meds I am on now are Clonazepam and Gabapentin but as my condition progresses the meds I am on have also begun to lose their efficacy. I am scheduled to see a neurosurgeon about a procedure called spinal cord stimulation. From some of the research I’ve done, this procedure was originally developed for chronic back pain. It is minimally invasive and is now being used to treat POT. So, I have decided to learn more about it and whether I am a candidate for this procedure. I wonder if any one on the forum has heard of or has had this procedure?
admin
Site Admin

Re: Spinal cord stimulator for POT

Post by admin »

Hi Marianne

Below are 2 links to research on SCS for Orthostatic Tremor. The first research was done in 2006 and the second from 2016 is a long term follow up on the initial research.

"The mean standing time improved from 51 s (SD 47 s, range 4-120 s) pre-operatively to 220 s (SD 184 s, range 10-480 s) with SCS at last available FU. Tremor activity in the EMG of the anterior tibial muscle was reduced by 30-60 % with SCS compared with off SCS. PSR score was 4 or 5 in three patients and 3 in the other. In conclusion, SCS is an effective long-term treatment option in patients with otherwise intractable OT. "

2006 Chronic spinal cord stimulation in medically intractable orthostatic tremor:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2077764/

2016 Long-term follow-up of chronic spinal cord stimulation for medically intractable orthostatic tremor:
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27522355/

wishing you all the best.