how to find the most recent posts on all topics?

This is the "main" forum that contains new introductions and other topics. A place to talk about your experiences, thoughts and advice.

Moderator: gloria

hjjeswald@gmail.com

how to find the most recent posts on all topics?

Post by hjjeswald@gmail.com »

I am newly diagnosed and want as much information as i can gather. i find that the majority of the posts here are at least 10 years old. Is there a way to find the most recent? I have tried using the button at the bottom but it doesn't give me the current posts.
Hope someone out there can help this technically challenged user!
Thanks
admin
Site Admin

Re: how to find the most recent posts on all topics?

Post by admin »

Hi -

When you are logged into the forum, you can search the forum by selecting "Unread posts" or "New posts". The posts are always displayed chronologically unless I chose to "pin" a topic to the top level because it was of particular importance. Both selections, "unread" and "new" chooses posts based upon your activity.

The problem is that the world of OT does move somewhat slow... some may consider 10 years current :)

best regards

hjjeswald@gmail.com

Post by hjjeswald@gmail.com »

Thank you so much...One would think I could have figured that out!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

>One would think I could have figured that out!

No worries, the forum software is quite deep and does require a bit of getting accustomed to. There are currently 5700+ posts and 770+ topics. It's not a perfect process, but the search function is very convenient.

If you find yourself looking for something specific here are some additional tips for using the "Advanced Search":

Advanced search

In addition to the predefined searches provided by phpBB, it is possible to create your own search queries. Searches can based on keywords, author, and forum selections.

The search query
In order to perform a search of the board, you must specify what it is that you would like to search for. You can specify keywords to search for as well as a post author. Two query options are provided for performing the search:

SEARCH FOR ALL TERMS OR USE QUERY AS ENTERED - If multiple keywords are provided, all keywords must be found in the result. Alternatively, you can provide a query using special identifiers.

SEARCH FOR ANY TERMS - If multiple keywords are provided, then results containing any of the provided keywords will be returned.

Keywords
In addition to supplying keywords, special identifiers can be used to add or detract from the importance of certain words.

Identifiers

+
When placed before a keyword, that keyword must be found in the result text.

-
When placed before a keyword, that keyword must not be present in the result text.

Examples

+DOG -CAT
Returns results which contain the word "dog", but not "cat".

|
This token can be used to separate a list of keywords, of which at least one of the keywords should be found in the text. Words may be placed inside of parentheses and combined with a + or - to indicated that at least one of the words must or must not appear in each result.

Examples

DOG|CAT
Returns results which contain either the word "dog" or the word "cat".

-(DOG|CAT)
Returns results which contain neither the word "dog" nor the word "cat".

An asterisk in a keyword allows for partial keyword matches.

Examples

CAT*
Returns results which begin with the word "cat", such as "cats" and "catastrophe".

Author
The search query can be further refined by providing the author of the post. If an author is specified, then only posts made by that author which meets the query requirements will be returned. The author field allows for the use of wildcards (*) to perform partial matches on the author name.

The search options
Searches can be further restricted to specific forums or specific parts of the topics.

SEARCH IN FORUMS - Here you can select specific forums in which the search should be performed. Multiple forums can be selected by holding down the "control" or "command" key.

SEARCH IN SUBFORUMS - If this option is selected, then any subforums of the selected forums will be searched as well.

SEARCH WITHIN - This allows you to specify which part of the posts should be searched.

POST SUBJECTS AND MESSAGE TEXT - Both the post subject and the post body will be searched.

MESSAGE TEXT ONLY - Only the body of the posts will be searched and not its title.

TOPIC TITLES ONLY - Only the topic titles will be searched.

FIRST POST OF TOPICS ONLY - The first post of each topic will be searched and no other posts in the topic.

DISPLAY RESULTS AS - This option formats the search results to only show either the post contents or just topic titles.

SORT RESULTS BY - Orders the results based on either AUTHOR, POST TIME, FORUM, TOPIC TITLE or POST SUBJECT. The results can be displayed in ASCENDING or DESCENDING order.

LIMIT RESULTS TO PREVIOUS - Limits the results to posts made in specific time frame.

RETURN FIRST - Formats the results to only contain a specific number of characters of the matching posts.

Further refinement
On the result page, it is possible to further refine your search by providing more search terms.