Statins for high cholesterol

This is the "main" forum that contains new introductions and other topics. A place to talk about your experiences, thoughts and advice.

Moderator: gloria

Theresaann

Statins for high cholesterol

Post by Theresaann »

I've been wondering if the long-term use of statins such as atorvastatin (Lipitor), fluvastatin (Lescol), lovastatin (Mevacor, Altocor), pravastatin (Pravachol), simvastatin (Zocor), and rosuvastatin (Crestor) could have brought on OT. Has anyone read or heard of this relationship?
SharCab

Re: Statins for high cholesterol

Post by SharCab »

Hi Theresaann,

I've been curious about the connection between Statins and my mom's symptoms since the beginning of my research.

Last winter her CK test came back normal, but last month it came back elevated.

She started Lipitor in 2010, and this year, in August, after the doctor said it would be okay to try 3 months without it - she agreed to stop taking the Statins.

In April I contacted a Facebook/statin article commenter, who's father, who was not diagnosed with OT, but his symptoms were inline with my mothers: He feels full heartedly that Statins were to blame for his symptoms, their progression and his passing.

After rereading our conversation ...I am concerned the doctor will tell her to go back on the drug. I hope this can be avoided, because if it is related - I hope that by quitting the Lipitor, it may at least stop the progression of the terrible debilitating symptoms.

So yes, I too wonder - how many people in this forum are taking Statins?

I doubted the connection, for just a bit, because my mom has yet to complain of much muscle pain, but after my Facebook connection, and the symptom similarities, I am reminded that all people do not experience all the same symptoms.

The statin side effect descriptions always highlights muscle pain, then later state muscle weakness as an afterthought...
...from all my research it is difficult for me to imagine that there is no relation between the two.
Theresaann

Re: Statins for high cholesterol

Post by Theresaann »

It would appear highly unlikely that any pharmaceutical manufacturer would willingly admit to even the suggestion that we are discussing. Good luck with your mom's situation. It's a tough decision to make since for years we have been brainwashed into thinking about the dangers of hyperlipidemia without the intake of statins. Where's there money to be had, decisions and facts can become blurred and distorted. Thanks for your input. Theresaann