EMG readings

This is the "main" forum that contains new introductions and other topics. A place to talk about your experiences, thoughts and advice.

Moderator: gloria

Tressa

EMG readings

Post by Tressa »

Hi everyone
I was 'officially' diagnosed with OT by a neurologist a year ago. He didn't do an EMG at the time and diagnosed me only by watching me in a standing position. As I am about to be considered for DBS it was suggested that an EMG be done (along with other tests). The neurologist who performed my EMG said the readings were lower than he would have expected. Due to my anxiety at the time I didn't ask him exactly what they were. I just wanted to know if anyone else has OT with EMG readings below the norm for OT (13-18Hz). Does this mean I might have slow OR or perhaps not OT at all? I'd really appreciate any comments.
admin
Site Admin

Re: EMG readings

Post by admin »

It’s interesting that you would be considered for DBS without first being confirmed as having OT. Has your group been successful with DBS and OT and possibly they could put you in touch with those people?
Tressa

Post by Tressa »

Hi, my neurosurgeon has done a couple of DBS surgeries on OT patients. I will ask him to pass on my email next appointment if any of them would be willing to contact me. I'd just be interested to know if anyone else on this site had readings below the norm for OT. I know it is possible to have slow OT and just wondered if anyone else was similar to me. Many thanks for taking the time to reply.
McSweedy

Post by McSweedy »

I hope Tressa gets this message. I’m new here. I would like to chat with someone. I’m 69, and I’ve had an uncontrollable movement disorder for 10 years.
I recently had a movement neurophysiology study done with EEG and surface EMG testing.
When my movement disorder suddenly began in 2008 from an adverse reaction to an RX drug , I could barely walk because my legs shook badly along with other movements. Now the standing issue isn’t as bad as before. If I stand on my wood flooring with socks on, my feet start sliding apart.

My report shows during standing, I have 13 - 14 Hz discharge. The same frequency is throughput my body even though I’ve always thought my traps are the most active place because it seems to be where my irregular shoulder jerking is coming from, and possibly my facial movements.
I think something is going on in my brain but the neurologist said my EEG didn’t show any change that would correspond with EMG. I wish the Neurology professor who conducted the test would have taken an interest in my case, since the neurologist was trying to prove that Gabapentin couldn’t have caused this. Beth