Performing tasks above head

This is the "main" forum that contains new introductions and other topics. A place to talk about your experiences, thoughts and advice.

Moderator: gloria

gazunni

Performing tasks above head

Post by gazunni »

I am not sure if others have experienced a severe almost instantaneous worsening of OT when performing tasks with arms reached above the head, but it is a real issue for me. In two instances installing a ceiling fan and a light, while needing to slightly stretch to perform the work, or work off a step stool, tremors start almost instantaneously and affect almost the entire body, including legs, core arms and neck.
I start to perspire and overheat and need to sit down within a couple of minutes and drink some water.
As I try to proceed with the task the intervals of being able to perform the task get shorter and shorter.
It gets to the point that my fine motor skills are completely gone and usually my wife needs to help to put in the last screws, etc.

I do a significant amount of swimming (20 kilometres/month) to stave off the beast, but I find when I do the front crawl (arms stretched above the head for the most part), for more than a few lengths, my strength disappears very quickly and the tremors start even in the water.

Anyone with similar experiences?
Hot Rod

Re: Performing tasks above head

Post by Hot Rod »

I don't have as serious as your post, but if I have to put something up above my head I usually have to lean on something while doing it. If I have to be on a stool or something my wife will stabilize me. That stabilization allows me to finish most issues. But without her stabilization, I would only be able to stand for 30-60 seconds.
gloria

Re: Performing tasks above head

Post by gloria »

Hi ! All: Reaching and doing tasks over the head is a very difficult part of our OT disorder, try not to do it you might lose your balance. Gloria