Tilt Table Test-Beware

This is the "main" forum that contains new introductions and other topics. A place to talk about your experiences, thoughts and advice.

Moderator: gloria

Dwight Kraai

Tilt Table Test-Beware

Post by Dwight Kraai »

A heads-up tilt table test is a way to find the cause of fainting(s). It is not a test for orthostatic tremor but is frequently used in testing for orthostatic hyper tension.
Background: At 8 am Sat March 18, 2017 I was sitting on a stool in the kitchen when I felt light headed. I remember saying to myself just relax and it will be over. Moments later I fainted unconscious to the floor. I was not unconscious for more than a few moments. Family was visiting and they took me to the emergency facility at our local hospital. There I was diagnosed with two broken ribs and a slash on my head requiring 6 stitches. After numerous tests a cause for my fainting could not be determined. During the discussion with the Drs. I mentioned that I had made a soft fall about 10 days prior when getting out of bed. At that time, I had not felt dizzy or lightheaded. This had never happened before.
The Drs. decided to give me tilt table test. The test basically consists of lying on and being strapped to a table that tilts. Blood pressure and heart rate are monitored. Then the table is raised. The literature mentions that the table may be raised 30, 60 or even 90 degrees. Monitoring of vital functions continues. Prior to the test the Dr. said I would be raised 90 degrees and would need to stand with the weight on my feet in that position for 20 minutes. I told the Dr. I probably could stand for no more than one minute. if that. We agreed to do the test. After a few minutes, I began to feel uncomfortable but continued with the test. I managed to stand some amount of time because I was strapped in and leaning against the table and the strap. At 11 minutes I was feeling extremely uncomfortable, light headed, and nearly vomiting. I screamed “Get me down, get me down”. After 11 and one half minutes the test was aborted. The Dr. said my strong reaction may have been related to OT as suggested by me.
On our OT web site a mention is made of a person having the tilt test. I am not sure if the person was raised to 90 degrees with weight on the legs. I have started reviewing published literature on persons with OT given the tilt table test.
I want to get this information out to our OT friends so they are aware of potential problems if given a 90-degree tilt table test for whatever reason. Hopefully professionals will read this and possibly contribute their related experiences. As far as I know I am the only person with OT that was forced (with my permission) to stand in a vertical position with weight on my feet for an extended length of time. Again, a reminder that the tilt table test is by itself not a test for OT.
Dwight Kraai
gloria

Re: Tilt Table Test-Beware

Post by gloria »

Dwight: What a experience you had !!!!!!!I have known you for a long time as one of our early OT friends. You have always been one searching for possible help for our OT and sharing your findings. This was an extraordinary event and one far beyond the needs of OT. I'm thankful you are OK and thank-you too of your warning for all OT'ers of your Tilt Table Test. As always, Gloria