ORTHOSTATIC HYPERTENSION

This is the "main" forum that contains new introductions and other topics. A place to talk about your experiences, thoughts and advice.

Moderator: gloria

Wendygsd

ORTHOSTATIC HYPERTENSION

Post by Wendygsd »

First of all, I want to say how sorry I was not to be able to attend the Houston meeting. I had planned to until over this winter, I started having extreme fluctuations in blood pressure. At one point, I went to the hospital because it was 94/60 , with a heart rate of 52, and I was having palpitations. However, when I take it standing as I did this morning, I propped myself up against the wall to keep myself steady, my blood pressure was 160/107, and my H.R. was 114. At first I was told I had Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia (POTs) because I also have a very elevated Norepinephrine count (the fight or flight hormone!) while upright. Because of this, I chose to go to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN because the local doctors didn't know how to treat me, which unfortunately put my trip to Houston out.
In any event, I my trip to MN did not accomplish what I'd hoped it would because although I had put my #1 goal as 'resolving my Hypertension and High Heart Rate while standing', the internist I saw read on my records that my doctor felt I had POTs, so they focused on HYPOtension, rather than HYPERtension, and I came back home with no answers. When I got home, I was able to view their online notes, and realized that there was that confusion, so I called and filed a complaint, and found that the internist who set up my cardio/neuro appts., geared everything towards hypotension in error. Since that time, the Cardiologist has called me and told me that I was too old to have POTs, and he felt I had Orthostatic Hypertension and suggested I be put on a new med called Prazosin. I've only been on it a short time, but it hasn't helped me at all....In fact, the Propranolol I was on during the time I had a tilt test in MN had lowered my blood pressure somewhat, and drastically lowered my heart rate, to the point where I wonder if they got accurate readings on the tilt table test done in MN.
Since getting home, I have been reading everything I can on Orthostatic Hypertension, and I have my own theory on how its developed, and after watching Mike's You Tube video 'A Visual Presentation', I feel even more strongly about it because he actually mentioned it felt like an adrenaline rush, and had that fight to flight feeling! My thought is that it is such an effort for me to stand and it totally stresses out my body, that I release too much norepinephrine, and too much norepinephrine makes your blood pressure and heart rate go up, causing Orthostatic Hypertension.
I'm hoping others can check their blood pressure while standing and even see if you can get your doctor to check your norepinephrine if your blood pressure does indeed rise.
I am at the point where I don't know what to do because nobody knows what to do with me, and I'd like to find answers before I have a stroke! According to the American Heart Association, my standing blood pressure is classified as a hypertensive emergency due to the diastolic number being over 110. I guess until this is straightened out, I should probably use a wheelchair and stay off my feet.
I would appreciate any input.
Here's a couple of interesting links: http://hyper.ahajournals.org/content/57/2/158.full
http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Condition ... vB6nseapE4
MikeS

Re: ORTHOSTATIC HYPERTENSION

Post by MikeS »

Hi Wendy
I also have higher blood pressure when I stand and I think you will find that most of us do because of the fight or flight situation .
I have had it tested many times and Ive been told there is no medication or anything they can do to stop it ,simply because it only happens when I (we) stand up and try and stand still.
I dont know to be honest if anyone who is taking any of the many off label meds we are given has tried it Would be interesting to know if their meds help >please let us know.
Look forwad to hearing from others
Keep smiling
Mike :)
renaely

Post by renaely »

Wendygsd wrote:First of all, I want to say how sorry I was not to be able to attend the Houston meeting. I had planned to until over this winter, I started having extreme fluctuations in blood pressure. At one point, I went to the hospital because it was 94/60 , with a heart rate of 52, and I was having palpitations. However, when I take it standing as I did this morning, I propped myself up against the wall to keep myself steady, my blood pressure was 160/107, and my H.R. was 114. At first I was told I had Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia (POTs) because I also have a very elevated Norepinephrine count (the fight or flight hormone!) while upright. Because of this, I chose to go to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN because the local doctors didn't know how to treat me, which unfortunately put my trip to Houston out.
In any event, I my trip to MN did not accomplish what I'd hoped it would because although I had put my #1 goal as 'resolving my Hypertension and High Heart Rate while standing', the internist I saw read on my records that my doctor felt I had POTs, so they focused on HYPOtension, rather than HYPERtension, and I came back home with no answers. When I got home, I was able to view their online notes, and realized that there was that confusion, so I called and filed a complaint, and found that the internist who set up my cardio/neuro appts., geared everything towards hypotension in error. Since that time, the Cardiologist has called me and told me that I was too old to have POTs, and he felt I had Orthostatic Hypertension and suggested I be put on a new med called Prazosin. I've only been on it a short time, but it hasn't helped me at all....In fact, the Propranolol I was on during the time I had a tilt test in MN had lowered my blood pressure somewhat, and drastically lowered my heart rate, to the point where I wonder if they got accurate readings on the tilt table test done in MN.
Since getting home, I have been reading everything I can on Orthostatic Hypertension, and I have my own theory on how its developed, and after watching Mike's You Tube video 'A Visual Presentation', I feel even more strongly about it because he actually mentioned it felt like an adrenaline rush, and had that fight to flight feeling! My thought is that it is such an effort for me to stand and it totally stresses out my body, that I release too much norepinephrine, and too much norepinephrine makes your blood pressure and heart rate go up, causing Orthostatic Hypertension.
I'm hoping others can check their blood pressure while standing and even see if you can get your doctor to check your norepinephrine if your blood pressure does indeed rise.
I am at the point where I don't know what to do because nobody knows what to do with me, and I'd like to find answers before I have a stroke! According to the American Heart Association, my standing blood pressure is classified as a hypertensive emergency due to the diastolic number being over 110. I guess until this is straightened out, I should probably use a wheelchair and stay off my feet.
I would appreciate any input.
Here's a couple of interesting links: http://hyper.ahajournals.org/content/57/2/158.full
http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Condition ... vB6nseapE4
Like yourself, my blood pressure is in crisis level when I stand. I've taken Valerian Root (available at GNC) and it not only improved the tremors but also my blood pressure. It's also not addictive like the Clonazepam.
Wendygsd

Post by Wendygsd »

Thanks for the info on Valerian Root. I will definitely give it a shot.....if it doesn't interfere with Coumadin, that is.