Retired Surgeon seeking knowledge

This is the "main" forum that contains new introductions and other topics. A place to talk about your experiences, thoughts and advice.

Moderator: gloria

Harry Schmidt

Retired Surgeon seeking knowledge

Post by Harry Schmidt »

Greetings. I just discovered your forum and would appreciate any thoughts. I was a very healthy person all my life - never missed a days work from age 12-73 when I retired. I have a history of coronary by-pass and aortic valve replacement, both caught early before any incidents. The tremors in my legs started at age 87. The previous 10 years , I had shot my age in golf every year. I bowled an average of 190. All winter I walked 2-3 miles a day for exercise and pleasure. Over a two week time that next summer my walking became limited to 100 yards because of tiredness and aching pain in the legs - not claudication. I went to the Mayo Clinic and the workup revealed tremors of 7-9 per second whenever I stood up or walked. This has been persistant , not progressive ever since.

Paraspinal taps/injections were some relief, but only for a day. The doctors would not use phenal or permanent necrosing agents. I am severely disabled because of the tremors and limited in any upright activites - even attending church services. Trials on the medication Gabapentin were intolerable because of mental fogging. I wish to register as a victim of this most frustrating disorder and be informed of any therapeutic advances. I thank you.

Harry Schmidt, MD
gloria

Re: Retired Surgeon seeking knowledge

Post by gloria »

Dear Dr.Harry: I welcome you to the website and I can almost feel your emotional state of frustation because personally and from the postings of some other OT people in their 80's our limitations are greater because our tremors come on much quicker. I know how you feel too about not having a good round of golf and in the last few months I have just realized my walking distance is not as comfortable as it was. You did start with your OT much later than the average age of 50's so you did get in more rounds of golf than I did !!! In our homes we have lots of chairs however we do have a few things that help us to move around outside our homes. Do you have a rollatator with a seat? This might help you to get around.....maybe to go back to church. So nice to have you as member and hope the site will be of help to you. Keep us posted, Gloria