Alcohol as a cause of early onset of OT

This is the "main" forum that contains new introductions and other topics. A place to talk about your experiences, thoughts and advice.

Moderator: gloria

Tigermoth

Alcohol as a cause of early onset of OT

Post by Tigermoth »

Hoping for views and info from the group, as I am still reeling from a meeting with a neurology Doctor (at Great Britains 'National Neurological Hospital') who told me that I had precipitated early onset of OT by drinking too much alcohol. (I am 52 years old and recently diagnosed, though already 16hz tremors). He told me that it is 'very rare' for onset to happen before the age of 60 (which I know is not true from the recent Mayo clinic results amongst others).

Then he gave me a 'talking to' as if I had been a naughty child. The indignities we are expected to endure are quite something?

Apart from the insensitivity and unkindness of such a remark "you brought it upon yourself' is hardly a helpful thing to say to a sufferer, I have seen no clinical information anywhere that suggests a link between alcohol consumption and OT.
I intend to take issue with what he said, if indeed I am correct in my own understanding that there has been no correlation between alcohol intake/abuse and OT.
Grateful for any info you all might have.
thanks!
admin
Site Admin

Re: Alcohol as a cause of early onset of OT

Post by admin »

Hi Tigermoth

Very sorry to hear about your experience. Here is another report published this year that indicates that the median age of onset is 54. This report is from the National Hospital for Neurology & Neurosurgery - Queen Square - London.
Results There was a clear female preponderance (76.5%) with a mean age of onset at 54 years. Median follow-up was 6 years (range 5–25)...
Link to article
adrianoconnor

Post by adrianoconnor »

Hi Tigermoth. I send you my sympathy. I have only dealt with two neurologist and both have been obnoxious and full of them selves. As far as alcohol is concerned I've never heard such rubbish. The only connection I know of is that a glass of wine can help to reduce the tremor to a small degree. I live in Ireland and as far as I know there are only 4 or 5 cases of OT known of. There are probably many more undiagnosed. What I am getting at is, in a country where drink is very much a part of life and culture and if there was a connection with drink and OT you would expect more than 4 or 5 of us to come up on the radar.
I think you need to change your neurologist. See if you can find one who is kind and understanding.

Best wishes, try a glass of red wine.

Regards Adrian
Tigermoth

Post by Tigermoth »

Thank you so much. Very helpful indeed.
Tigermoth

Post by Tigermoth »

I love it! Very good point indeed :)
I'm seeing my GP this afternoon to request referral to someone else (possibly the author of the report that admin kindly posted earlier).
Fingers crossed...
Tigermoth

Can we challenge lazy diagnoses? like alcohol

Post by Tigermoth »

Dear Gloria, Adrian, and everyone else,

I'd be really interested to know more if anyone has ever connected alcohol with our condition. Any ideas? Should the issue be posted somewhere else, for example? So that if another sufferer has some info to hand to rebut such a ridiculous assertion.
All best,
Mairi
MaureenB

Post by MaureenB »

I have had OT since my early 50 s.and Could not afford much Alcohol at all..I understand many people enjoy Alcohol and .Ive seen many many people more than a bit tiddly .however I have yet to meet another person with O.T.
Perhaps we did not drink enough Ha HA
I rest my case.
Maureen
gloria

Post by gloria »

I have read the input from thousands of OT people, reviewed studies on OT,met numerous OT people at our meetings and never found alcohol as a suggested cause of OT. I personally do not enjoy alcohol but like others I find a glass of wine comforting to the tremors. However, perhaps leaving the subject up "( Alcohol as a cause of early onset of OT)" might still report something different about alcohol. Gloria
Tigermoth

Post by Tigermoth »

Thanks so much to you Gloria and Maureen, hugely appreciate the moral support and for the suggestion to leave the topic up. I'm pretty new to the world of forums, so not entirely clear on the the protocols. For example, would I delete this message when you've replied so that it is not cluttering the dialogue about the actual subject matter?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Tigermoth
For example, would I delete this message when you've replied so that it is not cluttering the dialogue about the actual subject matter?
There's no need to delete this topic, and leaving this will be of help for anyone that experiences the same issue.

The forum has always been an open resource for anyone diagnosed with OT, their families and doctors too. The history of experiences, tips, ideas, and various topics increase awareness about OT and help those with OT. Sharing of experiences benefits everyone.

Thank you for adding your topic and wishing you all the best.
golfnut

Post by golfnut »

LOL - the one thing I can add is that you cannot drink the tremors away - I've tried!
And, celebrating heavily makes the morning after really terrible, my tremors go wild if I have drunk a bit more than I should. Hey, we're human, a glass of something now and then will not do either good or bad regarding the tremors.

I've beein to Dr Bain at Cromwell hospital (I think the name of the hospital is...??) He is one of the best in Europe and he really knows about OT. I've seen him twice even though I'm from Sweden.

And - I got OT before I turned 50 so there you go.

Chin up, Cheers!
the nut
Tigermoth

Post by Tigermoth »

Dear Golfnut, thank you for your reply and moral support.
If you find yourself in London again, you should get in touch? I live in Holborn.
Hope you had a good meeting with Dr Bain? You clearly respect him. Is he interested in the advances in Deep Brain Stimulation?
Would be very interested to know your news.
all best,
Mairi
anita

Post by anita »

Tigermoth wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:42 am Hoping for views and info from the group, as I am still reeling from a meeting with a neurology Doctor (at Great Britains 'National Neurological Hospital') who told me that I had precipitated early onset of OT by drinking too much alcohol. (I am 52 years old and recently diagnosed, though already 16hz tremors). He told me that it is 'very rare' for onset to happen before the age of 60 (which I know is not true from the recent Mayo clinic results amongst others).

Then he gave me a 'talking to' as if I had been a naughty child. The indignities we are expected to endure are quite something?

Apart from the insensitivity and unkindness of such a remark "you brought it upon yourself' is hardly a helpful thing to say to a sufferer, I have seen no clinical information anywhere that suggests a link between alcohol consumption and OT.
I intend to take issue with what he said, if indeed I am correct in my own understanding that there has been no correlation between alcohol intake/abuse and OT.
Grateful for any info you all might have.
thanks!
What a terrible doctor!! Apart from his/her completely unacceptable comments, does he/she have any proof that alcohol consumption and OT are linked? What is the basis for his/her conclusion? In all the years (21) I've had OT, I've never heard or read of any studies that linked the two. I hope you've found a new neurologist.
For what it's worth, I've read that alcohol does relieve essential tremor.
I drink alcohol and I've never noticed any connection; my tremor was consistent for many years and only recently (about the last two years) has there been any progression. Mostly, my walking has become more difficult - I seem to stagger and weave somewhat when I'm walking (no, it's not from the alcohol! 😁). I find using a cane helps a lot. I've been taking gabapentin, currently 2400 mg. over the course of a day.
It would be lovely to meet you at the next OT meeting in September! I hope you can make it.
Joan Sheila

Post by Joan Sheila »

I, like Adrian live in Ireland (would love to connect with him I'm in Dublin) and agree drink is part of our culture and I don't know anyone with OT. My late father was diagnosed at 65 with OT and was by no means a big drinker. I was diagnosed at the age of 43 but knew for more than a year earlier that things were starting to look like my Dad's symptoms. I take wine about 4 nights a week and find 1/2 glasses has no effect on me but if I overdo it the next day is terrible. I rarely took alcohol before diagnosis.
Hope this helps
Joan
Diane

Post by Diane »

Hi Everyone!
I haven't posted since I first found this site a few years ago, so this will be a first! I delayed going to a neurologist for many years because I feared my heavy use of alcohol could have caused my tremors. I am now many years into living a sober life, and about 5 years ago I went to a wonderful neurologist who immediately diagnosed me with OT. When I got up my nerve to ask him if my heavy drinking in the past could have caused the tremors, he assured me it had nothing to do with the tremors. Of course I was relieved and wish I had contacted him earlier to dispel my fears. I am now 68 and have had OT since my early 50's. Although the tremors have progressed, I am still quite mobile and enjoy swimming and biking, and try to stay as active as possible. I do avoid events where I will need to stand still for any length of time though. I hope this is reassuring to those recently diagnosed.