Has anyone else experienced this?

This is the "main" forum that contains new introductions and other topics. A place to talk about your experiences, thoughts and advice.

Moderator: gloria

Emmone

Has anyone else experienced this?

Post by Emmone »

Hi
As a fairly newly diagnosed OT I was wondering if what I experienced last week was 'normal'.

I awoke in the night, turned over to look at the clock and the numbers were going up and down and it took a while to focus. I just thought I had turned over too quickly. However, when I awoke in the morning I was feeling really dizzy and nauseous, I somehow managed to reach the lunge where I pulled back on curtain but had to ask my son to do the other, I felt my way to the couch where my son said I had thrown myself onto it. I just sat not daring to move but still feeling nauseous. My husband brought me some toast, I took a couple of bites then had to dash to the bathroom. I ended up having to lie down for a couple of hours. Since then I have been feeling shakier than before. The only thing I can think that could be a cause is the feeling of a head cold that hasn't broken. Any advice is welcome. Thanks
Nin

Re: Has anyone else experienced this?

Post by Nin »

It sounds like vertigo or a serious sinus infection. I've had both and they will make me dizzy. Vertigo is caused by an inner ear imbalance. Once with a sinus backup, the left side of my face drooped and I thought I was having a stroke, but it was sinus. Either one might be from a cold, but if it comes back or you're still concerned, you might want to see a doctor to rule out anything more serious.
Emmone

Post by Emmone »

Thanks Nin

I think the sinus thing could be the answer, I have had trouble with them in the past but nothing like that.

I have become used to leaning against things, it just seems I am having to do it more.

I try to do as much as I can, which presently is quite a lot but I know it may not last.

Thank you
LMP1

Post by LMP1 »

Hi
Something else you should also remember is if you are feeling unwell from any type of illness, the shakes from OT will be far more noticeable. It doesn't take much to upset the system and get the OT rocking. Hope you are feeling better soon.
Regards, Lynette
jitterbug2

Post by jitterbug2 »

I had a similar experience when returning from an overseas trip. During the flight I felt my tremor build up although it never normally affects me in a sedentary position. After the flight I could not stay upright and for the next few days I struggled with balance and some nausea. In retrospect I think this all was a combination of a virus and flight stress as I have now returned to (almost) normal. There are some resilient viruses in the UK that have not been countered by the Antiflu vaccination. Take care and avoid contact with coughers and sneezers. :wink:
brittasmom

Post by brittasmom »

I also had a scary incident happen to me last winter. I went to bed having a chest cold, fever and constant coughing. When I got out of bed the next morning I felt a leg and body tremor that I hadn't felt for a long time. Remember, I’ve been wearing prism glasses that have decreased my OT tremors for the past year.

Working in the kitchen, I began to grasp for the stove handle and countertop as I moved back and forth with tremors. I had a couple of bad days then all seemed to ease. It brought back memories of how bad I was before prism glasses.

Once again, from all of our experiences, this proves that stress is a big factor in accelerating our balance and tremors.

Nancy
Emmone

Post by Emmone »

Thanks for all your replies. What jitterbug2 wrote about being very unsteady reminded me of returning from a cruise and 'bouncing' off the walls for a couple of days, that of course, was before I was diagnosed and just thought it was me.

Another question, I am in the UK and is it worth me having the flu vaccination? Does it help or make the OT worse?

Sorry if I am being a nuisance but I am on a learning curve with The OT.
jitterbug2

Post by jitterbug2 »

I would recommend getting the Flu Jab while in the UK, it is free for over 65 and only about £10 - £20 for youngsters. Should help to prevent the most common strains but, remember, there are some odd viruses going about which can catch you unawares. With our balance problems the symptoms of Flu are exacerbated in OT sufferers. Better to take evasive action when you can. All the best, J
Emmone

Post by Emmone »

Hi

I have finally seen the doctor and she has diagnosed viral labrynthitis as the cause of my dizziness, She has prescribed Prochlorperazine Maleate (Stemetil) so I hope they work. While I was with her she advised me to have the flu jab which will be next week.

Thanks for your concern and advice, it is really appreciated.
gloria

Post by gloria »

I have a question for all...... living with OT have you noticed temperature making a difference in your tolerating OT. I have found that cool dry fresh air is very calming not only for my tremors but also my spirit and makes doing things easier. Temperatures that are hot and humid can exacerbate and make my OT "feel" more intolerable than normal. I go for physical therapy for my legs and before I leave my legs are iced down for 10 minutes. When I leave the building I do not feel my tremors for 30 minutes. I have always believed our tremors generate heat in itself. Anybody notice the affects or experiences of temperature in their OT life ? Gloria
LMP1

Post by LMP1 »

Hello Gloria
Yes I definitely notice the temperatures. As you know, I moved to Blenheim three years ago for the warmer and drier conditions, compared to the Chatham Islands where my husband still lives and works. (I wasn't coping with the winter conditions on the Island - damp and cold.) While I do enjoy the warmer climes of Blenheim, at the moment we are in the middle of a very hot and dry summer (drought conditions), and I have struggled with the heat. Hopefully I will get a happy median when our new house in Kaikoura is completed late April and I move there to live. While the town does have some very hot days, the temperatures are usually more moderate than Blenheim, being right on the coast.

When I get the 'electric shocks' running through the tops of my legs, I find I heat up considerably and begin to sweat. This mostly happens at night in bed, and I find by moving to the coldest part of the bed and lying on my stomach, the cold of the sheets soothes the shocks and they settle down.

Best wishes
Lynette