Aussie O.T Symptoms

This is the "main" forum that contains new introductions and other topics. A place to talk about your experiences, thoughts and advice.

Moderator: gloria

Marcia

Aussie O.T Symptoms

Post by Marcia »

Dear All

I am new to the forum, and would like to ask anyone with OT, if they suffer from these symptoms as normal OT does not seem to list them in the condition. I have an erratic walk, with a heavy feeling in my legs and pain in my shin bones. Always off balance and cannot walk backwards, or 'toe/heel'. Some blurred vision and profuse sweating, even when cold. My tremors are mostly controlled with Gabapentin, but still have a 'stationary engine' feeling in my torso. My tremors are present in both arms and legs. My Neurologist calls them OT Plus. Are there others who are struggling with these symptoms? I would like to contact anyone in South Australia, who has OT, to share thoughts and ideas, eg. Neuro Physio, and other options in SA etc.
Kind Regards
Marcia
LMP1

Re: Aussie O.T Symptoms

Post by LMP1 »

Hello Marcia

While I'm not Australian, I am your near neighbour, living in Blenheim, New Zealand (to be changed to Kaikoura, New Zealand at the end of March 2016 when our new home is completed). Before I was diagnosed with OT in 2009, my walking was very erratic - couldn't walk in a straight line, and felt very unstable. After seeing my Neurologist and being diagnosed, my walking did improve. The Neurologist watched me walking down a long corridor, where I tended to head towards the wall. He advised me to take longer strides and walk a bit quicker, which enabled me to feel more stable and not walk as though I was drunk. Over the years, I've learnt that if I use those lessons, I can walk well. Only when I'm tired and having a 'bad' day does the "drunkenness" return. I too suffer from sweats, especially when standing to shower, and immediately after. I don't use a shower seat because my shower box isn't very big and I find the stool takes up too much room. (That will change in our new home, where I will have a large walk-in shower.) I do have hand holds in the present shower.

You will find that there are numerous symptoms that we suffer from that won't be described in the literature about OT. We are all different, with differing (though similar) symptoms. I don't take any medication because I was worried about the side effects. (My Neurologist prescribed Clonazepam, but I turned it down.) Good luck, and I hope some of the other South Australians make contact with you.

Regards
Lynette
Di Di

Re: Aussie O.T Symptoms

Post by Di Di »

Hi Marcia ....like Lynette,I too am a Kiwi and meet with her when ever we can ..I do hope some one from sth Australia makes contact ...they may well have done already privately ?...
I too experiance all that you and Lynette have written and for past 3 mths or so have been on Gabapentin ,which I have found a great help ....and cant imadgine life with out it now.
The heavy legs are a right pain in all ways !!#!...but managed to dance at a wedding [just for a few minutes] after a few wines ...the wonderful memory is still with me.
Lynette`s tip walking faster works for me too, people think I`m being anti social ...I explain its the only way I can survive let alone enjoy walking ....group walks are near impossible as is narrow walkways and tracks ....I believe the sweating improves once you have worked out ways to cope with daily life with OT ....take care all ...Didi NZ