Air Travel

This is the "main" forum that contains new introductions and other topics. A place to talk about your experiences, thoughts and advice.

Moderator: gloria

jitterbug2

Air Travel

Post by jitterbug2 »

Before I make my plans to join my fellow OT patients at Baylor in March 2016 I would like to get some travel tips and reassurance about planning for and coping with the air travel. Since I retired I have not done much travelling but on my last two outings ( two European flights)nmI have experienced increased discomfort and embarrassment while embarking and disembarking the aircraft. I am not sure whether it is the anxiety of travel and all the associated queuing (we all know of that) or whether there is something related to the compression / decompression but by the end of both recent trips I have been unstable to the point of almost falling over and have taken several days to regain "normal" equilibrium. This has set me to thinking. Is air travel a contributor to our ailment? How are others affected? Do we have any OT sufferers who have never been on an aircraft?
Appreciate your feedback.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Air Travel

Post by admin »

Hi Jitterbug

Below is a link to a discussion that may be helpful:

http://www.orthostatictremor.org/phpBB3 ... ?f=11&t=12

This link is to information about an OT travel card for identification and a variety other travel information:

http://www.orthostatictremor.org/ot-travel-card.html

best regards
jitterbug2

Re: Air Travel Decompression

Post by jitterbug2 »

Thanks all,
With everyone else I will be sure to plan my journeys better and take full advantage of the assistance available. I would like to pursue further the effects of decompression on fellow OT sufferers. Does anyone else have similar experiences?
golfnut

Post by golfnut »

Hi there,
I have travelled quite a lot with my OT. If the trip is within Europe (less standing in line for security) I try to manage alone, having my stick around as a "marker" that something is wrong. And I ask to board first. I have a document from my doctor asking that I be helped.

Longer trips or to unknown airports in places I cannot readily speak with ground staff (Asia/India aso) I use asssistance and that is a bliss.

I do not think decompression really affects us more than others, but I always have special socks on..
I do know that the entire stressful air in the airport affects me even if I'm not afraid of flying. My tremors are much worse in airports than otherwise. So our own fright or stress (of being a nuicanse, not managing, falling, behaving strangely) is probable more cause of additional tremor than any external input.

m2c,
best
the nut
bobbinj

Post by bobbinj »

I was on an airplane for the first time in several years. I was fine going on, but for several days after the flight I had my worst tremors ever. I looked up air travel in relation to PD since there are more people with this disease and found that some people suffer terribly with rabid ascent....and that it could even be fatal. I am seeing my neurologist Wed. to discuss this.
gloria

Post by gloria »

Bobbie: We have a large number of OT people who travel frequently on business etc. and have not heard that kind of report in the 15 years duration of the website ........ besides OT and PD are two different neurological movement disorders !!!!!!! Perhaps it is because OT is progressive and you have not been on an airplane flight in several years. Gloria
Emmone

Post by Emmone »

Hi

I have plucked up some courage to try flying to my next cruise. I have done translations of the OT Travel card in Dutch, German, Estonian, Russian, Finnish, Swedish and Danish. Yes, it is around the Baltic. Hopefully I won't need them but I will have them with me, just in case.

Has anyone else used a translation when travelling?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Great idea to translate the cards to your areas of travel. I have found that self-adhesive luggage tags are very convenient. There are several different brands/manufacturers and the all work in a similar way. Here's a link to a video showing how they are applied:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqzkUOrZLJY

have a wonderful trip!
Emmone

Post by Emmone »

Hi, I have tried to find the tags here in the UK but they don't seem to have them. However I have found tags for the cruise labels so I will see if they are suitable. Thanks for your help.
:P
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The OT wallet card is formatted to the size of a business card. Often luggage tags are setup for this size. Have a great trip/holiday!