Medication

This is the "main" forum that contains new introductions and other topics. A place to talk about your experiences, thoughts and advice.

Moderator: gloria

dottiesport

Medication

Post by dottiesport »

Hi, it has been some time since I posted on this site, I am now seeing a new doctor in hopes that I can find some relief as have problem standing for just a few seconds, he put me on a drug less than a week ago called Carbidopa -Levodopa , has anyone ever tried it for O T ?
gloria

Re: Medication

Post by gloria »

Dottie: I was given Carbidopa-Levodopa when I was mis-diagnosed with Parkinson's and having OT at that time it was not helping my symptoms. I believe there are other OT people on the website that were given Carbidopa-Levodopa for their OT and perhaps they will post their reaction to it. After a good trial period please let us know how it is working for you. Gloria
lla

Post by lla »

Hello to All,

I would like to know others experiences of using and than discontinuing use of Clonazepam.

Linda
Nin

Post by Nin »

I'm still using Clonazepam but am going down on it because I want to try Primadone and the two together seemed to be too much for my system. Clonazepam has been helpful for the tremors and for anxiety, but the short time I tried the Primadone, it seemed to help even more. To go down on Clonazepam, I have to go VERY slowly or my anxiety rises fast and I get other side-effects. But now I'm at about half of what I was taking before (.37mg now), the anxiety is OK but the tremors are worse. Shortly, I'm going to try the Primadone and see how I do on that. BTW, I also take Lexapro and am going down on that too to try the Primadone.
lla

Post by lla »

Nin,

Thank you so much for your response. I am glad you are having good results in getting off Clonazepam to get on another medication. It is great to hear you have found a medication that is giving you better results.

I have been off Clonazepam for about 3 years and also went very slow getting off of it. After taking Clonazepam, I decided not to try any other medication. My results were not good with it and I have also had some lingering side effects. It is hard for me to tell if my problems are from that medication or my Hashimotos Thyroiditis. I thought some input from others might help.

Wishing you continued success,
Linda
dottiesport

Post by dottiesport »

I have given Carbidopa Levodopa a fair try and did not help me at all besides not helping me I was very tired so have even taken off of that, not taking anything right now as going away and did not want to be so tired while I am away. Has anyone found something that really helps them, please post. I have tried so many different ones with no good results, I know that some drugs work for some people but not for another ...
gloria

Post by gloria »

Dottie : I was given Carbidopa Levodopa at the time that I was misdiagnosed with Parkinsons and it did not help at all in fact it made my OT sysmptoms worst but I did not know at that time I had OT but nonetheless went off of Carbidopa Levodopa. When I was finally diagnosed with OT I had been researching med's and asked my Dr. if I could try Gapapentin and have been on it ever since. I take it 3 times a day and no as I have said before on the forum it doesn't make my symptoms go away completely it just makes my legs feel less cranky. Gloria
Tina I

Post by Tina I »

Hi

I have joined this forum as I was diagnosed with OT last year. Although I was rather alarmed with the dianosis I am also rather relieved to find that, although uncommon there are others out there and I knew what was wrong with me !!. I initially had a beta blocker which didnt seem to do anything for me, however over the last 10 months I have been on Primidone. My Neurology Consultant said "Now you are either going to love these or hate them" WOW !! what a difference...I had to cut down a 250mg tablet into quarters and take one a day for a week then increase it to two a day for another week then three a day..gradually doing the increase. I couldnt tolerate 3 a day they were far to powerful for me. I stuck to 2 a day but found it difficult to cut the tables correctly. I then found that I also had very bad depression. My work deteriorated and I ended up off work. Now, I hear you say why keep taking them ?? Well what I did was go and see my GP who rather than wanted to put me on tablets for the depression said I would be better doing 'time therapy', which ment whilst I was not at work, getting very stressed I could talk to a counsellor, stay calm and focus on me...just me. I asked for the 50mg tablet of Primidone. This I take every morning...I only take this dose as I now feel it takes me through the day, my tremor is not there and I can get on with my working life. Counselling helped with me 'chilling' and gave me some really good ways to cope with the stresses...in the evenings I do feel the tablet has worn off but at this moment in time I dont want to increase my dose. The overall thing that I can say about Primidone is that it works for me, it is very powerful if you are thinking about taking it start on a weekend ! and increase over a long period i.e. 50mg one dose a day over a week and build up. The negatives for me are feeling sleepy and loosing concentration especially in the afternoon but I am able to live with it now wheareas before it was a vicious circle of stress-tremor-stress-more tremor..... :mrgreen:
gloria

Post by gloria »

Tina: You worked your way out of the time zone of the beginning stages of OT extremely well and it seems you have found a way of getting some relief from our OT life. Keep up the good work and keep us posted. All the best, Gloria
Terry

Medication

Post by Terry »

I have been taking Clonazepan for my OT for a few years, but the tremors have been getting steadily worse, especially while standing still in queues etc. I was chatting to a friend at golf who is a pharmacist and he wondered why my Dr had not suggested beta-blockers. So, I have now been on Propranolol (10mg twice a day) for almost a week and there has been a marked improvement. It seems to help delay the onset of the tremor, so here's hoping it continues as I am due to travel OS in a few weeks time and was not looking forward to airline and immigration queues.

Anyone else out there in OT land tried this?
Nin

Post by Nin »

Are you having any side effects from the Propranolol?
Terry

Post by Terry »

Only a very mild headache at this stage. Not sure if I am a tad dehydrated though.
Nin

Post by Nin »

Hmmm . . .Has possibilities. Keep us posted!
jolarson

Post by jolarson »

Has anyone tried the over the counter medication called L-theanine? Apparently it is used for anxiety. I have been on clonazepam for number of years after trying many others. It seems to be the only one that calms me down especially when I have to be in a stressful situation. But I am curious about this OTC med. Thanks for any help or information………….
gloria

Post by gloria »

Hello Jo:
I have known you as a member of the website for a long time and consider you as an old friend of mine. Sorry I can not help you with your question about L-theamine because I have not tried it. I don't take medications for anxiety or depression because I do not wish to. Instead I try is introduce something new of interest into my life, stay as busy as I can and try to get out of the house as much as possible. Have you every met another OT person? That is the best medicine for OT!!! Just being with OT friends changes your whole perspective. I have gone to all of our meetings and just being surrounded with OT people makes the feeling of a lonely life go away immediately. A emotional turn around ! Perhaps you can come to our Omaha meeting the last week in Sept. You do not need to be part of the research, in fact, I think it is too late to participate in it anyway however just coming to the meeting and being there surrounded with OT'ers works magic. I would love to see you there, Gloria