Where in the world is OT?

This is the "main" forum that contains new introductions and other topics. A place to talk about your experiences, thoughts and advice.

Moderator: gloria

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Today there are 896 members of the Orthostatictremor.org forum, and many have submitted their location (general location only, such as - county or state or country). With that information this map was created. There are overlapping locations and as a result the map doesn’t fully illustrate the number of people within an area. But it does give us an interesting snapshot of the OT world.

There are many factors as to why there might be a higher representation of people in certain areas of the world. Language, access to the internet, economic, and more subtle factors such as whether certain cultures are more accustomed to communicating in social media.

Updated Map 03/13/14 corrections

larger map

LMP1

Re: Where in the world is OT?

Post by LMP1 »

Thanks for this Jeff - certainly makes interesting viewing and will have everyone thinking about the demographics of OT.
Regards, Lynette (who has a dot right at the top of the South Island of New Zealand and no longer out in the Pacific Ocean all on her own!)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Lynette

Thanks for your dot! I uncovered the answer to the mystery dot that appeared to be in the middle of the Atlantic. The conversion process interpreted "Long Island" which was intended to be "Long Island NY USA" to be Long Island Bermuda and returned the coordinates for Bermuda instead. Oh, well nothing is perfect, especially me.

To follow up on the demographic curiosity, the map below shows worldwide internet usage and if we were to overlay the 2 maps you would see some similarities to the OT map.

adrianoconnor

Post by adrianoconnor »

I hate to have to tell you that we in Ireland have been missed off your map. Maybe we are too small to be counted. I know of 3 including myself and there could be a fourth out there, if still in the land of the living. Thanks for the map it helps to see the rest of our fellow sufferers.
Regards Adrian O'Connor, Ireland
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Adrian
Maybe we are too small to be counted
Nobody is too small to be counted ! :wink: Especially Ireland, a beautiful country.

I very much appreciate the feedback, and as a result I found a large group that was not included in the map. I'll construct a new updated version, it will be interesting to see what other changes might be visible.

best regards
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Adrian

Corrected map added 03/13/14

Ireland is back on the Map! plus a couple other lost dots around the world, this version is a little more complete.

Thanks again for the feedback.

best regards
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

adrianoconnor wrote:I hate to have to tell you that we in Ireland have been missed off your map. Maybe we are too small to be counted. I know of 3 including myself and there could be a fourth out there, if still in the land of the living. Thanks for the map it helps to see the rest of our fellow sufferers.
Regards Adrian O'Connor, Ireland
Thanks Adrian for not letting our little island be forgotten about
gloria

Post by gloria »

Hi: Adrian & Catherine: Hope you enjoyed a great St. Patricks' Day. Here in the States we have lots of parades and celebrating of the day. As we all know OT does not have any borders and all that are registered here on the site are friends suffering from the same symptoms trying to fight back at OT. Everyone is a treasured friend from all over the world. Keep posting updates how you are managing , Gloria
jitterbug2

Post by jitterbug2 »

Great data collection and presentation. How come no indication of OT in China, India or Russia? Do they call it something else in these countries?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Jitterbug

The lack of representation of geographic areas probably reflects non-OT issues. Some IP addresses (web locations) are blocked by security software, and possibly language as you mentioned.
DEEmou

Post by DEEmou »

Hi Gloria, would love to get in touch with anyone who has been diagnosed in Northern Ireland on the site ...I see we have some members down the South of Ireland :)
Sara

Post by Sara »

Hi All
I live in Toowoomba, Qld, Australia. I was wondering if there was anyone living with OT in my region who would like to get together for a cuppa and a chat to compare notes and provide support for one another. Please email me if interested. :)
Thanks Sara
Lila

Post by Lila »

Please get me on the map. I'm in Israel and maybe there is another "OTier" here too. Wouldn't mind comparing notes and sharing tips with someone nearby although the site and especially the forum have given me a feeling of community. Thank you Gloria.
Joyebelle

Post by Joyebelle »

I live in Warragul Victoria Australia. Are there any others around Melbourne or WVictoria? I have just been diagnosed.
Fiona

Post by Fiona »

Hi Joyebelle, I am in NSW but there is another newbie on the introduction forum who is from rural Vic, who may be near Warragul. I love visiting Gippsland - it is a beautiful part of this country.