Triggers for tremors

This is the "main" forum that contains new introductions and other topics. A place to talk about your experiences, thoughts and advice.

Moderator: gloria

Sketches

Triggers for tremors

Post by Sketches »

Has anybody noticed that foods or chemicals trigger the tremors to worsen? I have noticed that these things have a major effect on how bad a day I have. I need to avoid food dyes, especially yellow dye, MSG, preservatives, and many chemical cleaning ingredients, air freshener, etc. I have also found sugar to exacerbate the condition. I have had my worst episodes after consuming foods containing yellow dye. If I stay on a gluten free, natural diet, it always makes a difference.

Has anyone experienced this?

Phyllis
Lanita

Re: Triggers for tremors

Post by Lanita »

I have noted that any food that triggers tremors. Mostly if I am standing or walking too long is when my legs get very tired and I have to lie down for awhile.
Jenna

Post by Jenna »

Some days are a bit better, some a bit worse. Adrenaline from fear, being startled, anxiety, self-consciousness all make the tremor dramatically worse for hours. Effects of food are more subtle, but yes, it does seem to help that I've shifted to a "paleo" diet that's generally somewhat hypo-allergenic. My food sensitivities pre-date my OT. My new doc thinks food or chemical sensitivities trigger inflammation that worsens the tremor.
Sketches

Post by Sketches »

Jenna, I believe your new doc is probably correct. I had food and chemical sensitives before this disorder reared its ugly head. It is so difficult to avoid the triggers though. They are everywhere. I even try to take only white medications when I can, but it isn't always possible. And, of course, any of the other stressors that you mentioned, including pushing to do more than I should and not listening to my body telling me to stop. Then I need to recuperate sometimes for days, try to detox, and start all over again.
Lumpur

Post by Lumpur »

Yellow dye has been a strange trigger in my moms illness.She mentioned this before she was diagnosed with OT.
iris Thompson

Post by iris Thompson »

Have noticed tremors better when on paleo diet. Nothing stops them completely but doesn't seem to come on as quick when on diet.
Motherofviii

Post by Motherofviii »

I do well to avoid all foods with the amino acid tyramine. This is a diet people go on for migraines. Basically, it's anything aged. Balsamic, pickles, cheeses, black olives. In addition, wheat just bothers me anyway and does trigger more instability.

However, my main trigger for my OT is fluorescent lighting. It absolutely throws me into a tizzy! Because of my physical reaction my bp raises because of the struggle to stand and remain coherent. I have never heard anyone else having this difficulty but I surely do. One day in the Dr's office, I turned off the lights and opened the blinds for natural light. It was so much better....now they put me in a room with a window. :)
Mark

Post by Mark »

Jenna wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:11 am Some days are a bit better, some a bit worse. Adrenaline from fear, being startled, anxiety, self-consciousness all make the tremor dramatically worse for hours. Effects of food are more subtle, but yes, it does seem to help that I've shifted to a "paleo" diet that's generally somewhat hypo-allergenic. My food sensitivities pre-date my OT. My new doc thinks food or chemical sensitivities trigger inflammation that worsens the tremor.
Dear Jenna,
Fear, being startled etc, yes. For me, standing in one (restricted) place or on a ladder or chair. Hands above head doing DIY is terrible! Good luck! Yours, Mark
Betty

Post by Betty »

Hello all.....

Has anyone noticed after some sort of trauma their tremors are much worse? Also, I have noticed when I must take a new medication for an illness, my tremors are worse, as is my ability to walk. I am just getting over a bout of diverticulitis and my ability to walk is almost impossible. I MUST use my walker in order to get around, and I never get back to the way I was before an event as described.

Betty