Eye related movement disorder

This is the "main" forum that contains new introductions and other topics. A place to talk about your experiences, thoughts and advice.

Moderator: gloria

janecqv

Eye related movement disorder

Post by janecqv »

Along with OT, does anyone else have strabizmus, a weak or blind eye, or scoliosis? I am working with an opthomologist who is attempting to connect my eye imbalance and my scoliosis to the OT. Don't know how it will go, but there may be something to it. Please send feedback. Have not seen any other discussion on this topic. This doctor sees patients from all over the country for eye related movement disordes as well as other eye issues
Di Di

Re: Eye related movement disorder

Post by Di Di »

Hi ...not strabizmus [had to Google it ] as such ....but am aware that my eye ball ,may be both? goes into a very quick spasm, often ....more when tired ....have never caught it in the mirror ....so don't know if others see it?....would be very fleeting ?
had eye check and new glasses just a few months ago ?
Did not mention it to my optician , wasn't till you put up this post did I think about it .....Didi NZ
janecqv

Post by janecqv »

My OT is gone.
I have had OT for at least 10 years, maybe more. The last two years have been extremely challenging.I have also had eye issues since birth, strabismus, also known as lazy eye.

My OT was confirmed and documented at the Mayo Clinic this spring 2013.

My physical therapist has been working with a Dr Padula and encouraged me to make an appointment.
Dr Padula has been in practice for many years. He teaches, lectures and treats patients from all over the country.Please see his web site... The Padula Eye Institute, Guilford Connecticut USA.

Using computerized equipment and video taping Dr Padula collected data, then made test glasses using prisms to correct my gate, stance, and balance. Both he and my physical therapist heard my helicopter legs before using the glasses and the dramatic decrease in the sound after I put the glasses on.
I received my new glasses on Oct 8, last week. My tremor is gone. I can stand comfortably and actually stood in a line for about 15 min yesterday. It is surreal.
I do not want to instill false hope but this has definitely worked for me. VISUAL EYE THERAPY MUST BE EXPLORED AS A TREATMENT FOR OT.
I hope this post will help someone else.
Please refer to the Padula Institute web site
Jane Vece Clinton Connecticut USA
Last edited by janecqv on Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
janecqv

Post by janecqv »

A follow up.....It has only been a week with my new glasses. I am cautiously very optimistic that the OT will stay away. I see Dr Padula in 3 wks to reevaluate and possibly make adjustments to the glasses. I also have scoliosis which has improved with the glasses
gloria

Post by gloria »

Jane: Pleased to see that you have posted your very interesting experience and what you will continue to report. Hope it will be all good news! Maybe there are other members that can relate to a similar situation or condition. Will be anxious to hear how things continue to progress for you. Gloria
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Jane

In the "new research" area of the forum I have posted a link to the following research paper titled :

Neural mechanisms underlying neurooptometric rehabilitation following traumatic brain injury - click to view

Even though the focus of the paper is neurooptometric rehabilitation in regards to traumatic brain injury it does discuss movement/balance issues as a result of TBI. I thought it may be of interest to this discussion. Also, Dr Padula is mentioned in the research paper.

It's interesting how much is not known about the brain.

To be fair there is no mention of tremor in the article and this may only be of interest to some people with some vision issues, or just to one instance, or not at all. But even an anomaly has the potential to lead to new information.
janecqv

Post by janecqv »

Thank you for this article. It is very interesting. I will have to reread it to grap all of its meaning.
There was another article posted on FB about DR Padula which I had not previously seen. http://www.optometricmanagement.com/art ... eID=103671

Beside the elimination of OT, my mentation and excessive fatigue and sleep have markedly improved.
Upon putting the glasses on for the first time, symptoms of scoliosis and balance improved at once. I felt an immediate and intense relaxation of my right side
I saw my PT Donna Segnere yesterday. She listened to my leg muscles and found no evidence of tremor.
We are working to strengthen muscles used in standing.
I will see Dr Padula in December for a follow up.
I look forward to any more new findings and comments.
Thanks, Jane
gloria

Post by gloria »

Jane: Just checking in to see how you are doing, this has been such a remarkable, exciting experience for you and I'm anxious to hear if all continues to be good ???????? Gloria
janecqv

Post by janecqv »

Hi Gloria, I am doing very well thanks. My OT is still gone. I had a few flare ups. At one point Donna my PT, could hear it. My glasses were adjusted which again eliminated the tremor. That was about 2 weeks ago. I have gotten stronger and feel better than I have felt in 20 years. I will keep you posted. Thanks, Jane Vece
golfnut

Post by golfnut »

Hello Jane,
thanks for this very interesting entry. It's amazing what the brain can do... and not do.. or change.
:)

It sort of confirms to me personally that our tremors might be the effect of something else rather than the tremors being "something singular".
(I'll post my thoughts in my own thread in order not to bog down yours.)

Very happy for you, amazing to feel better isn't it!

/the nut
gloria

Post by gloria »

Jane: I just wanted to see how things were going with you getting back to a more normal life without OT.Your experience gives hope to all there might be different directions of correcting our problem.. When you have time please drop us a note, Gloria
Lake of the Woods

Post by Lake of the Woods »

Hello Jane,
I would be very interested in hearing more from you and how you are doing.
My best to you on this wonderful recovery.

Peggy
Eye Poker

Post by Eye Poker »

Been in the eye biz for over 10 years and I've never heard of Strabismus linked to OT.
Janevece

Post by Janevece »

Hi all
Sorry I have not been on this site in a while.
I am doing very well, thank you. I have had some ups and downs with the OT, but am doing quite well now. My tremors have greatly diminished. I still do experience them under certain conditions, but they are so much better. We have discovered so much about my OT because of the fluctuations in my condition.

I am able to do the simple activities that were such a challenge... standing kitchen work, brushing teeth, showering etc. My body feels a certain sense of calm that comes with being tremor free. Fatigue was always my biggest complaint, which is so much better. I actually stay awake all day.

I found that I was weak while standing and have begun a mild fitness routine that is really helping. If you think of it, I have not used the muscles one needs to stand in years!

I feel the lenses treat my brain through my eyes. My treatment is noninvasive. There are no drugs. These are such important points to me.

I think it is also relatively cost effective. (when you think of the costs of handicap equipment, etc.). I was going to begin using a wheelchair in some situations. My husband and I were discussing a move to a one level home.

Dr Padula is still exploring the clinical potentials of using this treatment for others, but right now it is only fair to say that it has worked for me.

"Perhaps as a group we could explore how many of us have vision related symptoms and characteristics. Perhaps Dr. Padula would be willing to discuss this with us at some time.
How thrilling it would be to find that this treatment works for others.

Let me know if I can help in any way. I welcome any questions or comments.
Thanks, Jane Vece
Janevece

Post by Janevece »

Hi Eye Poker
This is all very new. I have posts about my experience on FB OT web page and this page dating back to mid Oct 2013. I will be happy to answer any questions to the best of my ability. Jane Vece