what say others?

This is the "main" forum that contains new introductions and other topics. A place to talk about your experiences, thoughts and advice.

Moderator: gloria

Di Di

Re: what say others?

Post by Di Di »

Dear Gloria ...your first posting which read just fine to me !...I didn't have time to answer and give it justice .....today is a new day , have just got back from my pool exercises, a cup of tea in hand ...a sunny uncluttered day stretches ahead ......
thank you for your encouraging words , like every one else I do have down moments and days , but try and make the best of it...
A young friend pointed out to me , Di why don't you sit `before` you need to ? that way it takes away the stress on you AND just as importantly us others watching and worrying .........good point I thought ?
I had left it to the last minute to seek out a low chair squashed between tables loaded with produce ...
I had a little weep as I felt pretty sorry for myself ...these wobbles are just so tiring , .....one cant stay sitting low for too long ...people talk and you get a stiff neck always looking up !!#! a no win situation :) and then you have to get yourself up out of the tight chair trying not to take stuff off the tables with you ,hoping like hell your legs appreciated the rest `they` demanded and are going to cooperate

Have been working hard towards a 10 day artist in residence at a annual garden festival ..from November 1st ...5 hour drive from here ,to New Plymouth ...have sculptures to display [and hopefully sell] with my high stools and work plinth ,I will work with my clay each day ...local pottery club is coming one of the days for a mini work shop ... all bring folding chairs and sunhats ,if it rains plan B is in an old cow shed ...
from what I gather it is a very old established garden with large homestead were I'm staying ...no cooking for 10 days ..:) total bliss in my book .......
when I was asked to do this many months back , I told the host I had a health issue, OT , said it was all in hand , but suggested she Google it to get an understanding .....

I drive up this Thursday...no emailing for 12 days ...no checking in on our OT forum to get my fix for coping :)
best wishes to you all ...take care .......over and out ....Didi NZ
Di Di

Post by Di Di »

Just got back to the big city and the home front after 10 WONDERFUL days as `artist in the garden`...through a garden festival ....Went really well ....1. because I informed my host before hand about OT , she and her family seemed aware , and subtly offered help where needed and read between the lines making me feel very welcome and totally at ease ...and 2. because I didn't have to think about anything else except meet and talk to visitors while I created clay pieces in a beautiful garden ............A group from the local pottery club came for an afternoon mini workshop ,to see my methods , I use to take weekend workshops in crowded club rooms but knocked that on the head when OT rared its head ...:( they would really like me to take one again , so we have talked it all thru , they have seen how it is ,and between us will adapt to accommodate my OT...:)

thrilled about this as I really did enjoy those times away .........what this ramble is trying to say is we really can keep doing what we love on the most part ,with a bit of planning and adapting , communication being an important part ....people like to know ,so they can relax and not worry about doing the wrong thing ........................... take care all ....love Didi NZ
gloria

Post by gloria »

Didi :
It was so great to hear that YOU had 10 WONDERFUL days as " THE ARTIST IN THE GARDEN" !!!!!!
I'm so proud of you because you have shown from the beginning the skills of coping with OT that have made life more manageable and enjoyable by planning and informing ahead. The whole setting must have been inspiring to others and for you more comfortable and rewarding as you deserve. I love your postings because you are sharing positive approaches dealing with things in our OT lives . I personally know how adding a setting of being outside in Nature is one that is so uplifting for me too. Thanks for sharing your great time. The big chocolate eater in this crowd, Gloria

PS: Through the years you have heard me call chocolate as my anti-depressant , well, this week I received a newsletter in the mail put out by WEILL CORNELL MEDICAL COLLEGE : WOMEN'S NUTRITION CONNECTION listing 7 power foods in a healthy diet: 1- berries, 2-nuts, 3-skim milk, 4-tomatoes , 5-cold water fatty fish (salmon), 6-oranges, 7-DARK CHOCOLATE! I knew the medical field would finally find the importance of "my medicine". Gloria
Di Di

Post by Di Di »

Thanks for the encouragement Gloria...also the hint about dark chocolate, the rest of the food list are well on the home menu ...very happy to add DARK chocolate , surprised avocado`s and kiwi fruit arnt there ...

just ordered the new OT book ...very timely , as last friday I was bailed up by 3 very special well meaning girl friends and given advise about getting down some steep indoor stairs after I had ,in their minds ,made such a botch of it ....................Known since we were 17 nurse training [now 69] , all still working in or near the health sector , I had gone to plan B and was sliding my leaning back down the uncluttered wall, one step at a time ...elbow to hand tremors rendered the railing not an option ...plan C would have been going down on my bottom .
one demonstrated [hip replacement ] with stick ...one step at a time ...the other said must get help from a physiotherapist...tried to say I had , its a brain thing that kicks in etc ...no-one was listing !!#! Came home very Blah...and took me a while to put it all in perspective.

Its just ...I want people who care about me to take time out to read-up on OT ,listen and understand , I'm not looking for sympathy just understanding ....................I do so hope the book will become a tool I can pass out to do just that , from a `Jane`s` point of view

ended up practicing what I preach about communication and emailed my 3 friends ,pointing out the OT differences and how I cope ........have since had a long phone call from one :) it feels OK now .........................................take care all ...one day at a time works for me Didi NZ
gloria

Post by gloria »

DiDi : Going down stairs is one of the most challenging, frightening experiences I have heard from OT people since the beginning of the website. Most including myself, if there isn't a banister "it's going down on " bottom" time for me!!! However, the point you are trying to make is that it is so hard to explain to people that we have problems with different situations that are very threatening for us to do. It is so frustrating but we suffer with a problem even when we say " we can walk but we can not stand still" is very questionable for people ?????????????????? We are looking so hard for UNDERSTANDING from people. What I do is to carry with me the travel cards that you can print out from the website with it's internet address on it and give it to as many friends and people you are in contact with so they can learn all about what living with OT is like for us. As always, Gloria
Di Di

Post by Di Di »

Thanks Gloria...I have gone and copied OT summaries off the internet ,to have on hand to send in an email , should a friend ask ...My book hasn't arrived from Amazon yet , not such great reports coming out from a Facebook site .. :(
Last night I did a stint on the door of an Academy art opening ...perched on my stool , only 1and 1/2 hours ... very worthwhile as it keeps me involved,but admit today my lower legs are sore and
its so hard to get going ..................way back in my head I hear `don't be a victim` and that heated thread we all got involved in some time back....so will let this feeling pass, and put my hand up for the next one .
My adult Daughters seem to be getting their heads round `my OT`...coming up with different ways to celebrate Christmas , taking over much of the cooking,I'm adapting to their ideas with a smile ...I well remember my Mother taking off on a boat to USA ,to avoid cooking yet another Christmas dinner ,we 5 adult children were horrified :)
Had to crawl up concrete , wonky ,no hand rail steps to a house last week ...was totally committed as I had no cell ph number to ring , was taking a visiting friend to the airport after a shared lunch and catch-up ... the visit was mentally spoil`t panicking how I was going to get down the steps again ...managed fine on my bottom , but just another example how this OT effects our days

and tomorrow is another one ...:)...take care ....Didi NZ
Di Di

Post by Di Di »

ITS Christmas morning here ...us New Zealander`s get to see the new day first !!
MERRY CHRISTMAS...HAPPY HOLIDAYS ...TO ALL .....Hope all is well or you are doing the best you can on this special day .... :)
Was reading on the `how are you` thread Cindy talking how you just don't know what others have to contend with , when they look OK on the outside ?....and how just having a stick with you is wise as it lets people know you have a need , and to make allowances if need be.......

and it really is just like that ..your just fine , then next second tremors kick in and its all custard ..I'm forever thankful how family and those close ,seemed to have worked it out ...last night sneaked out of the neighbors after Xmas drinks before the mingling ,dorddling`goodnight`guests at the crowded door only to find out of the dark came the tall retired policemen host offering me his arm ...once home , had that lovely feeling of good `careship`...the feeling of Christmas had kicked in.... :) Didi NZ
Di Di

Post by Di Di »

just done a pre New years eve dinner shop ..............I realized I automatically drive into the disable park if its free, and feel no guilt about it what so ever ....Also lean and prop myself all over the supermarket and have subconsciously found I'm not worrying about what others think of or about me......in fact with being just me and how it is, instead of putting up a front and trying `like hell` to look `normal` I get through quicker ...staff always helpful and want me out of there with no mishaps :)............method in my madness!!#! ...[and no ,in my book its not being a victim]

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE ...I'm so thankful to this OT Forum and all the support it gives.
HERE`S TO 2014 ...take care ...Didi NZ
gloria

Post by gloria »

Hello DiDi: Way to go ........ I do the same wherever I go, most of the time I have my cane chair with me so if people see me acting strange they already know that I'm not the average normal person. I find most people volunteer help quickly if I have gotten myself into trouble or they will be so kind and open those big heavy doors that most buildings have.

Peace on Earth for our New Year , As always, Gloria
Di Di

Post by Di Di »

Gosh ...how time passes , New year celebrations well passed ...and my annual 10 day bronze casting camp has been and gone .
Again managed OK , thanks to the 19 other caring able bodied participants, I am always amazed how people are happy to help when they see a need ,their ability to read between the lines , no fuss just being there as a back up when needed ...........every years a little harder for me , but determine to keep attending as long as possible .
using the power tools , is getting more tricky , but have worked out a way to lean on a wall and prop at least one elbow on the work bench , do the grinding in spurts so I trick my brain not to click in tremor straight away [yer !! well, it works for me ]
Had a couple of heavy falls , brain just seems to click off when it cant cope because I`m doing something I know I shouldn't anymore ....its only for a slit second , no time or signal to put arms out ..
so good lesson learn t , to accept there are many things I just have to flag now ,and accept I cant do ...and when out ,always have my cane as I believe my brain accepts it as a prop and does`nt short circuit !!#!

the Bronze retreat gave me time to really work out priorities, whats important to me , husband and family and then `my` art ...so saying no to things that I don't want to attend, because of the inner personal tension it will trigger ....I mention OT and blame my brain if I think I need to , for people to accept with out a fuss ......................having a lovely summer here in Wellington NZ...sorry the winter is causing such havoc for some of you .............take care Didi NZ
gloria

Post by gloria »

DiDi: Always look forward to your 10 day bronze casting camp experience report. The strength you use and the invention of ways of coping with this experience as one with the OT challenge is amazing . You are " reading the timing" of your OT and adjusting with understanding. You said that you had a couple of heavy falls, are you moving or turning too quickly when these falls happen? If you are, you might be throwing yourself off balance and our balance correction is not normal with OT.

From one of the persons living in the part of USA Winter that is causing havoc, snow, ice and cold. Our OT friends in Canada must think we are sissies however!!! My best to all, Gloria
Di Di

Post by Di Di »

Thank you Gloria ...you are right I do seem to be reading my OT [bit like lip s with the deaf ] and long may it last .....part of me thinks maybe I`m talking my brain into tremors as I anticipate a tight moment , but then maybe not ,because if my minds somewhere else the tremors still kick in and cause the grief we all know so well ...............the falls , both being were I should have known better ,and lesson learn t big time .

Yesterday I meet up with the 3 old nursing friends I had to email and enlighten them how OT works , after a unpleasant episode on stairs during our last gathering ............my email wasn't mentioned :) but in passing , did talk about how on social occasions a light HIGH stool placed in a lounge of people is the ideal seat for OT............not stuck down on a low [hard to get out of ] chair , with clusters of chat happening above !!#! ........all agreed what a good and easy idea to carry out , and would be useful not only for OT.....
Bless them, the email must have sunk in because after ,all left me to handle the stairs in my own way ,it was a super visit . Didi NZ
Di Di

Post by Di Di »

life just ticks on ...everyday a of mini marathon juggling the demands of OT and trying to achieve the goals I have set myself [or others for me in a subtle way ] in my work .
I am learning to pace myself and say no with out the guilt or a long winded excuse ........after listening to another OT`er , I realize the `gray` days , are my mourning what I use to be before OT .

Once I accept fully , there is no going back , this is it from here on in , life will become easier.

I believe my immediate family have `got` it .... :) and making far less demands on me personally , followed by forward thinking ,e.g pointing out suitable chairs they had sourced and placed for visits, drop things and come help me for heavy jobs, always in good humour ...[long may that last ]
I admit there is a bit of bribery with some good food :)

hopefully my mourning bouts are almost done and its onwards and upwards ........Didi NZ
gloria

Post by gloria »

DiDi: You are doing a good job putting it all together and are showing a good example for all !!
From : Gloria somewhere in deep snowcovered New Jersey, USA
Di Di

Post by Di Di »

another month has passed ......and managing to accommodate the demands of OT in daily life ...someday s easier than others , but admit its only in the hydrotherapy pool do I feel normal with no OT ?,and although getting out & up the steps can be a real trial ,its oh so worth it ...a blissful start to the day ,and am so grateful I can manage it.

have been part of a `artist in action art trail `...went brilliantly, with my two adult daughters meeting and greeting , I worked in the garden studio ,people wandering in talking sculpture , explaining the processes ...perched on my high stool ...cane near at hand ,when needed

was then guest artist in a exhibition called ~Naked~ so was obliged to attend the crowded opening [yes dressed!!#!] ..managed OK...as there was a sturdy pillar to lean on ,and a convenient plinth to place a wine glass, was showing a cluster of bronzes ...and leaning there ,I realized all my pieces were about balance !!#!...women on a surf board, another on a skate board...girl on a tight rope following a cat.....women seated on high chairs.....OT really does creep into everything we do and plan even subconsciously....

thanks........................Didi NZ