what say others?

This is the "main" forum that contains new introductions and other topics. A place to talk about your experiences, thoughts and advice.

Moderator: gloria

Di Di

Re: what say others?

Post by Di Di »

your right Lynette....some days are better than others , this morning started badly ,found I had to crawl up the few steps to my studio ,as my brain refused to co-operate !!#!.................I think I was a bit stressed [though didnt feel it??] as I was expecting visitors ............decided to just perch myself in the studio , sort of came right , using cane to get arround when I had to move ....a good visit and a piece was purchased :) .......but for all that I`m far from my usual self , it has given me a real jolt re thinking about the future and managing to stay in our fabulose `works for us` home each with our garden sheds.....................hope this grey feeling does not stay long , but one must be realistic about whats ahead .

the NZ artshow went off really well ...I was given a great spot ...as luck would have it a quick uncluttered get away thru a staff only door ? when I needed refreshments and a break .............manned my area 3 days, 10am to 7-30 pm and was so good the time just flew...
didnt need to use Mable [walker] just had my cane and high chair , I did have a practice outing before the Artshow in case ....managed OK and am quite happy to use it in the future for cloths shopping etc , my lovely daughter found it a bit tough though emotionally...............had maverlouse conversations with other walker users in the loo and out in the art gallery , got good hints !! I have noticed alot out there since getting one , funny that ? take care all.. Didi NZ
Di Di

Post by Di Di »

A month has past ....After having a couple of frozen moments getting up my few lovely wide studio steps, I came clean and shared with Husband John ...........He got straight on the phone and later that day our `friendly` local builder was round measuring up ....and between them 2 days later I had a beauutiful solid `great to lean on` wooden railing , as luck would have it , we were only able to buy it in pre-cut lengths so was able to have another built down a few tricky steps to the kiln :)...Am just so thrilled ...........come such a long way in understanding this OT life as a couple, feel so blessed ....much rather have railings than a cruise ...oh how life has changed :)

Have resigned from Academy council after 11 years , and really enjoying just being a volunteer.Has made a huge differance to my mental well being , letting go of the responsibitly of office plus new railings ,life is good ...............and summer is on its way ...........could not find a way of putting up `brag` photo`s of my railings.................those who are off to Omarha , travel well and enjoy the gathering ...best wishes to all x. Didi NZ

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Didi

I remember your "holding hands" post. I was traveling, we had to stop everything and send you a quick note. It was a wonderful post. And now the "hand rail" post. You have a way of finding the silver lining!

All the best to you and John.

(if you'd like to send me photos of the railing, I could post them for you)
gloria

Post by gloria »

DiDi: I'm so happy to hear & see the "railing solutions" ! The best part is that you and John have reached " understanding of OT life as a couple." ...... You are definitely blessed because understanding is not always easy to find. I feel blessed too, I have an understanding family. Gloria
golfnut

Post by golfnut »

Hurray for you and John!

:-)

your nut
gloria

Post by gloria »

Good morning (my time) DiDi:
Sorry that you were not at the Omaha Meeting however thoughts of you were there thru the lovely bronze MORNING STRETCH that you donated for our OT funding. It was nice that you & Sue Boyd arranged that she would carry the bronze to the meeting where everyone was VERY impressed with your talent and thoughtfulness. Hope you have been enjoying your new railings in your backyard. Thanks again for MORNING STRETCH, Gloria
Di Di

Post by Di Di »

Have just spent the last hour or so re reading `what say others`.....WOW amazing all that has happened and been achieved over that time .............
Having a `grey` day ...slept in, instead of swimming , and feeling the heavy legs and wobbly head big time ....Will venture to the studio, but know I`ll need my cane today :( even though the sun is shinning .

there is family stuff that happened early June which needs to be sorted one way or another , and I need to let go and let be , if it cant be fixed ................all through OT forum we talk about stress both phycical and mentally ..................mental stress is just so much harder , I cant see it, I believe I`m coping ...not effecting me , then wham !!#! , you feel like you have hit a bus .

reading my thread has given me the insite and courage to go sort and get on with it ...dramatic as it sounds I believe mental stress is our `silent` biggest enemy

Have some really good things planned ahead :) sick of the grey cloud that hovers over them .
take care of your heads I say ...............Didi NZ
gloria

Post by gloria »

DiDi: You are right I have always found "mental stress" the most difficult however I give it time and somehow the right solution happens. I know personally from my life history I have experienced such times as well. ...... " Have some very good things planned ahead " sounds like the path to concentrate on at the present time ...... All the best, Gloria
Di Di

Post by Di Di »

havnt posted since early october ...Such a lot has happened ,late November I had a exhibition 4 hours drive up the line ,with another Artist friend , we both have a speech inpediment ,so get together every year with a joint exhibition some where in New Zealand ...we call it `their voice` [ our hands do our talking ]..We have a lovely time , usually attract local media and this time got 3 write ups in local papers , and a live radio interveiw over the phone , which was pretty taxing for stammerers !!#!............managed to take a 2day work shop while there in the gallery for 10 people, I explained my OT at the beginning of the session and all flowed OK...people read between the lines , thought on their feet and all in all it went off very well considering...Took a few hard days recovery , but pleased I didnt let OT stop me from taking the workshop .

Came home to prepare for my 70th birthday ...we celebrated with a continuous luncheon rolling into dinner , people came and went , bit like a railway station ,but worked well , able to park up and chat with little groups , in own home so knew all the walls to lean on and high stools to perch ...my side of the family surprised me the next day ,coming from far and wide ,as I knew nothing about it I didnt have the drama of preperation......they stayed over the weekend , was lovely like being on holiday in your own `safe` home .

have up graded old car of 15 years ...now got high easy to get into, automatic !!#! and cant believe what a differance it makes to daily life ...

still not taking anything for OT , but rely on early evening wine ...and a glass before I venture out to something I `have ` to attend ...........I admit I have declined many invitations to functions ...just too hard and take too long to recover from ...........I would rather save the energy for my art and what I really want to achieve ...
At 70 I believe I can now say NO and not feel guilty .

this is all about me ...sorry , but is my thread, sort of diary of my life and OT ..I still wake up hoping just for one day being free of OT ...it`s still all a pain in the butt , but believe if I swim 4 times a week [getting out of pool beginning to be a challange] and try and keep the stress at low level ...life is as good as it can be considering ........................season greetings to you all .........Didi NZ x
gloria

Post by gloria »

Hi! DiDi: So it seems like you have been a busy gal since October. I missed you but knew you must have been doing an exhibition of your incredible talent in some way. I have found keeping busy is a good way to fight back at OT and when it is in new place the challenge is greater as well. Also I like the way you gave an explanation of your OT before a session, I would guess it makes things work smoother from both sides. However,knowing you are an artist I would guess it is so wonderful having a studio in your own backyard where you can get lost in your creative work for hours. Happy Birthday !!! Gloria
Di Di

Post by Di Di »

interesting ..it`s exactly a month since I have posted ......Jeff sent the link to `new to the forum` ...since been cruising round the forum for the past hour , so much for my early morning swim :)
Had a very successful annual 10 day Bronze casting camp , the people who attend all understand OT, they let me get on with what I can achieve and pick up the slack in such a way I still feel very much part of the working team ...Letting go my Academy Art Council work has made a huge differance to my mental being and stress levels, thought I would really miss it ? ...to me , life seems to be lived in chapters , and find I`ve turned that page with no regrets .

I do know things are getting a little harder , we DO want to stay in this great lovely old home of 45 years as long as ,if not forever ,but have had accessments done ,a bit of forward planning should there be sudden health changes and we need to shift into one level more suitable living space .
Never want to do it , but by planting the seed of the idea ,if it does have to happen we are more mentally prepared .
Accepting the things I cannot change is still really tough , but letting younger viberant enthusiatic others do the job ,sitting back watching is a real `joy`...maybe it is an age thing...after years of trying to control and organize ......all very liberating with no guilt of what I `should` be doing.. :)

Still no pain ,except if I over do standing and trying to be `normal` in the outside world and for that I`m most thankful ....still medication free , using wine as a prop when needed ....works for me ....long may that last .

Have a busy few months ahead an open Art trail weekend and a 2week exhibition with a friend.....also Ann Dobbs and husband Roy are travelling over from Australia spending a few days together , Lynette from Blenhiem is able to join us for a day so we will be able to talk and share OT,which I`m looking forward to ....
Best wishes to all ................Didi NZ
gloria

Post by gloria »

DiDi: So good to hear from you again and all the successes of the 10 day casting camp! Having told the people attending from the beginning about your OT always makes it easier and smoother from both sides. I know how you feel about your home of 45 years, I have been telling everybody that I want to go out feet first from my 56 year home but with OT limiting me more quickly with the aging process who knows I might have to do more "reality thinking" about my needs too! However, my house is still fairly comfortable to cope with. It is split level and each set of stairs are only sets of six steps and they are not a problem yet. I do not carry anything heavy in my arms going down any stairs. My laundry from the bedroom level I put into a large laundry bag and push it so it rolls down the stairs to the laundry room. That is one of my coping tricks I have done for years. Nonetheless the idea of a one story house is probably a better choice in the future. Like you I have too many memories in this house, surrounding town plus my gardening.

Please say hello for me to Ann & husband Roy and Lynette . As always, Gloria
Di Di

Post by Di Di »

I have just had three day`s with Ann and Roy Dodd here at home ...Lynette Pickles flew up from the South Island , for a long lunch on the Saturday ......was really so good to just sit and be with friends who understood and I understood them .....Roy took photo`s then a back seat , while we vented and shared ...it was good for husband John to be part of it all at time`s , between Rugby and world test Cricket games :) for a contrast.

We realized it was thanks to Sue Boyd`s Sydney gathering and Gloria`s forum we connected ...just want to say if any of you have a chance to meet and share with other OT`s ...JUST DO IT ...No matter how big the effort is you will gain much insights to help life with Orthostatic Tremor and all the side issues that go with it ......I will post photo`s to Jeff in the hope he will put them up .........x

Ann cut her leg badly on the rental car door the night she arrived ...7 stitches were needed ,she took it all in her stride ......apart from that it was a really wonderful time ............Didi NZ

Ann Dodd

Post by Ann Dodd »

Hi Di & Lynette,Thanks for your friendship and complete understanding. I had the best time & Di was the perfect hostess.
I am sorry I have been absent for such a long time but I have never forgotten this wonderful site that I have met so many friends on. Gloria has been an inspiration to me and I met a lovely English lady here and she is coming to Brisbane.Australia next week & is staying with us for 6 weeks. Previously Daphne stayed last year with us for 6 weeks and we had fabulous time. If you can please meet up with people on this site and you will have friends for life.
Thanks my Kiwi friends for a wonderful time in your beautiful country.I will treasure it always.
Ann
gloria

Post by gloria »

Hi! DiDi, Ann & Lynette : Thank you for sharing your meeting together. I know from experience that there is nothing that softens the anxiety of living with OT then to be with OT friends. Loved the pictures too!!
Although we live thousands of miles apart we are all members of the OT family and always there for each other. Thanks again for sharing, Gloria