what say others?

This is the "main" forum that contains new introductions and other topics. A place to talk about your experiences, thoughts and advice.

Moderator: gloria

gloria

Re: what say others?

Post by gloria »

DiDi:
Congratulations, very proud of you in the " artist in action art trail" at your garden studio and again as guest artist [the pretty lady with wine in hand] at the exhibition ..NAKED.. In my eyes I see you as an outstanding artist able to create body positioning in your art work subjects to exibit the balance that an OT person nolonger can perform is excellent.

I keep forgetting to ask you when you first started sculpturing and interest in art work?

I do believe that this heavy Winter we have experienced is over......please !!!!!!!! Need to be in my garden again, had a Winter of frustration almost depression. The deer and ground hogs have visited garden area already. I never heard from people in NZ about deer and ground hogs as a problem, maybe you do not have them?

Keep up the good work, Gloria
LMP1

Post by LMP1 »

Hi Di
Wonderful display as usual and it's interesting that you have managed to bring OT into your work. It's incredible to think that it's over two years since we first made contact - where have those two years gone???

Gloria, we do have deer here in NZ, but they're way up in the 'back blocks' (as we would call our wilderness areas), or else they're behind very high fences being farmed. As for ground hogs, we don't have such an animal here - too far for them to swim from the Americas to Australasia!! Owen and I did get to see a ground hog when we were in the States in June 2012. We had flown from New York on a day trip to see Niagara Falls and happened to see this funny little thing scurrying through the long grass. Our guide told us it was a ground hog. We, of course, have our own wildlife here in NZ, mostly birds, that you won't see anywhere else in the world.

Pleased to know that your terrible winter is over, although I did see on TV that some parts of the east suffered another little blast just a couple of days ago. We are beginning to feel the effects of autumn here, with much cooler nights - a blessing for me, as I really suffer with the heat overnight, making it hard to sleep.

Best wishes, Lynette
Di Di

Post by Di Di »

yes ...Lynette ,well put about our Deer etc , what about the captain cook pig ? [a wild pig ] bought over on sailing ship with our early explorers , or have I got that wrong ...:) they sound a bit like `the ground hog ` and how they cause much damage ...along with the possum an import from our neighbour Australia .

Gloria you have asked a few times how long I have been sculpting ...hitting 30 years , had always been arty , but went nursing as that was considered more respectable in those days .
Took up sculpture [night classes at local high school ] when our youngest was 12 , instantly hooked and went from there .

I do believe with `luck` and planning and being prepared to do things another way we can keep doing what presses our buttons in the early days of our OT....I am fully aware we deteriorate over time ,some faster than others ...but with old age who dosent ?...
Harder for the younger OT`s , who still have young families ,harder for them to still save energy to put into their personal passion ,which will help to keep them whole ...if you get my drift

Didi NZ
gloria

Post by gloria »

All OT Friends:
I do believe with `luck` and planning and being prepared to do things another way we can keep doing what presses our buttons in the early days of our OT....I am fully aware we deteriorate over time ,some faster than others ...but with old age who dosent ?...
Harder for the younger OT`s , who still have young families ,harder for them to still save energy to put into their personal passion ,which will help to keep them whole ...if you get my drift "
Perfect, DiDi !!
That is the perspective that I personally followed from the time I was diagnosed for myself as a pathway of understanding and dealing with my life with OT. I do think this is very important and wish our fellow OT friends will add how they are managing their OT mentally and physically!!!! Different personalilties will show different approaches which will be helpful. Thanks, Gloria
Di Di

Post by Di Di »

Been a while and as I use this as a personal tracking diary of OT ...thought time I wrote .
have had a few `grey` poor me inner thoughts and days , but then some cameo moment happens and brings me right and thankful for my lot...may I never be `so` down that I don't recognize those special moments in time .

Have been amazed how husband John has adapted to the OT me ...and the work load on the home front is really a team effort these days , and we are a closer better couple for it ...had a family dinner here last night , and sitting with our 2 adult daughters and families after, he held my hand like those heady courting day`s !!#! :)

sad when close friends and extended family don't understand me with OT and haven't taken time to find out.....but have decided OK let it be , don't want to come across as some-one selling insurance or bibles, `here she come`s , hide !!#!

this breathless thing when we are handling the tremor or trying to avoid same, especially when others are round witnessing , is that part and parcel of OT? or something separate?................ I know most of you think the light headiness is a separate issue ....but which I clump with OT.

Be Happy , take care ...Didi NZ
gloria

Post by gloria »

DiDi :
Good to hear from you again but understood NZ & Australia were busy hosting The Duke & Duchess of Cambridge and Prince George!

Your tracking diary of your life challenges with OT is very touching and I say to myself “ DiDi is doing it the right way.”

[quote]“Have been amazed how husband John has adapted to the OT me ...and the work load on the home front is really a team effort these days , and we are a closer better couple for it ...had a family dinner here last night , and sitting with our 2 adult daughters and families after, he held my hand like those heady courting day`s !!#! ]

Does your husband have a single brother??????

[quote]“this breathless thing when we are handling the tremor or trying to avoid same, especially when others are round witnessing , is that part and parcel of OT? or
something separate?] “

It is part of the parcel..... it is the everyday anxiety provoking situations of OT life! Interesting you used the word "breathless" because when I feel treatened in an OT situation I find I'm a very shallow breather. Even with other Tremor Disorders it has been reported people do the same thing. Breathing exercising reduces STRESS and we need to be aware of this.

Things are looking up here , the snowbound Winter is gone and I'm thinking gardening again. I find
it a great OT stress reducer. All the best, Gloria
gloria

Post by gloria »

To all my OT Friends: We all know how our OT symptoms are so impossible for people surrounding us to believe what we are physically feeling because it is so far from the norm. For example they see us walking upright and yet we can not stand in a still up right position. ??? Certainly we are looking for the reason why too. I try to inform and educate the people who are in my home life zone, for example (food markets, shopping places in general, the bank ,etc.) , so that they understand I have a disability and I need a hand if necessary .

It is our story that we tell on the website that produces the information of what we are as a movement disorder entity. I feel the greatest part we are sharing is with people who become our understanding friends although they maybe thousands of miles away it is a very special treasured friendship . I know I may never see “ you” but just communicating with “you” on the website is like having an extended family to me. So keep your posts coming, it is important for our OT lives to be part of our community, Love to all, Gloria
lorna

Post by lorna »

Hello all, its been quite a long time since I have added to the Forum. I have just read all the latest posts, and its lovely for everybody sharing their thoughts and problems. Wow 896 OT members, that means the OT disability is reaching so many people now. I wonder how many suffers are out there and struggling, thinking they are the only person with this problem, I hope they find this site. I know that aging is a problem with OT, I am 71 years and cannot perform as I once did, and get very frustrated being curtailed. I must be doing something all the time, brain into gear constantly. My husband is very good and has had to take over many of the household chores, this makes me feel inadequate, and things have been taken away from me, (they were my jobs)grrr. But I still have my garden, it's a place that I get so much satisfaction from. I sit on the ground, crawl around in my black pants, covered in dirt and just enjoy my space. We have had the warmest May on record and hope it continues, just perfect. I also have a great hobby some may like to think about, genealogy. I have found it so addictive, and the chase is like being a detective, great for the brain. Cheers to you all Lorna
MaureenB

Post by MaureenB »

Hi Lorna
I could have written your article myself,,Adding to gardening and genealogy, I also attend a woodcarving class, and found it very easy with the help and understanding of the group to work sitting down .
Im 72 and get tired with the effort and stress of walking slower and leaning on walls..

My lottery would be one normal week, to holiday and shop for clothes.. (Dreams)

Kindest regards Maureen
Di Di

Post by Di Di »

Hi ..Lorna , Maureen like you two I am very grateful to have a hobby/passion [in my case ] to help our mind drift from the `drag` of OT in daily life .

yesterday I drove out to a damp hilly farm to meet up with a group of sculpture friends to do a bit of sand casting ...In other situations I would have got my self in a right state just thinking about it ...but with this group , that didn't enter my mind .....it was fine , they read between the lines and just watch out and support when I need it ....challenging for me , narrow tracks and slippery paths but plenty of fence posts[most on a lean already :) ] today I'm sore ,but very satisfied I went and realize I have this wonderful relationship with this group because I explained how it was with me and OT all those years back ,and they have embraced that and allow me to still feel and be totally part of everything , keeping my independence but still safe ....how precious is that ?...xx

looking at getting a walker with a seat ...just so I can cloths shop , its some years since I have
cloths shopped and stopped and looked thru racks etc .... take care all, Didi NZ
gloria

Post by gloria »

H! Lorna, Maureen, & DiDi:

All of you are working your lives around OT. All letting your minds find ways to work with the challenges we are faced with so you can continue interests and talents you love. By posting and sharing your coping ways with your OT family gives inner strength to our community. Keep up the good work !! Lorna you are one the earliest members of the website and I remember our early gardening discussions especially you growing beautiful roses while the deer were learning mine were very tasty!! However challenging gardening big time and being out in Nature is my great passion , my mind and body feel enriched .

Maureen your postings are always so helpful and thoughtful, advising of how you have been coping with OT. I always look forward to your comments on the forum because you understand the importance of communicating with the OT family and telling your story is great help to all. By the way, a few posts ago you mentioned your husband was going for treatments and I wish all went well. It is amazing you and Lorna have 3 common interests , gardening , genealogy & woodcarving!!!!!

DiDi the input you have been reporting as you are adapting your GREAT artistic talent to OT life is amazing !!! This “hobby/passion” is your driving force ! Thanks for your postings I’ m so interested in the way you handle your challenges , you are a great example for all. By the way , how is sand casting different from your other casting? Would it be that the sculptures would be more for outdoor use? My father was in business of making outdoor garden sculptures when he was a very young man and before I was born.

The best to all, Gloria
Di Di

Post by Di Di »

Gloria...thank you for your encouragement and yes agree with you the more we communicate with each other about OT , the easier it is to understand and cope with it in our daily life .........

Yesterday late afternoon all was well , just closing up the studio and off to a Art Council meeting , working out in my head ,where to park , dinner prepared for my return , all my notes in order ,was going to be a good productive outing .....................then son in-law arrives and tells my husband and I ,our daughter and he are separating, there are 4 glorious children involved ...not the end of the world stuff `these` day`s , I know they will all get through it ....etc etc ...why I`m telling you this is ...
the tremors kicked in big time , almost had trouble walking at all , did manage to get them under control ,but it struck me how stress ,physical or mental, really is our enemy....first time it has shown up so instantly.....

today is another day ...tremors less ,but still there , have to work on controlling mental stress ..
the old Al-non saying except the things you cannot change , comes to mind :| ..........Didi NZ
gloria

Post by gloria »

DiDi: Sorry to hear the news but as you say they will work thru it but hard on "mom and dad" to hear! You are so right stress of any kind is not good for OT people with tremors . When I'm stressed I too try to release myself from it as soon as I can because STRESS is our worst enemy. I have had a lot of things in my life that were strong stress times however I always found that if I found a place for it mentally rather than letting it control me has worked . Having a busy life is very helpful too and DiDi you seem to have that! Gloria
Di Di

Post by Di Di »

almost a month has passed ....After 3 weeks in our spare room son - law has gone home , :) am sharing this as another example of stress causing tremors ...thru one incounter with my daughter , tremors kicked in ,not from knees down [they may well have been going] but from back of knees to my buttocks not in my front thighs ,just back.....`really` weird feeling ,...recovered OK,but next 2 days or so I felt very sore in that area , like I had run a marothon .
Early July I was a guest demonstrator at the NZ potters conferance , I had told the organizers about OT , they read up and made allowances which included a helper ~Rose~ ...A wonderful two days , I learnt as much as the partisapants [I seem to have lost spell check so bare with me !!#!] allowed a wizz computer kid , Grandson who needed cheering up , to upgrade `me`.. :? :?

My next challange is being part of and manning my site in the NZ ArtShow ....other years I have had a spot out at the enterance , demonstrating with clay, keeping clear of the crowds ...this year have decided to be inside beside my display of work, with the help of a borrowed walker with seat, which I have named `able Mable`........have yet to have a practise run , plan to go to a dress shop and have a wander with Mable, got to get the hang of her before the Show this next weekend :)

Life is never boring , always throwing extra challanges , but still believe if we keep good open communications going , its managable and enjoyable one way or another ,just got to look for the good bits and focus on them ....................freezing here ....take care ...Didi NZ
LMP1

Post by LMP1 »

Hi Di
Good luck with Mable. Hope she works for you. I was down in Christchurch yesterday to catch up with a very good friend over from South Australia to visit her parents. Got out of the car and she came out to give me a hug. I ended up wobbling all over the show and she had to hold me up. Then I had to get up two steps to go inside the house and my legs were like lead - just didn't want to go. Then her father decided he was going to hug me too, despite me warning him to be ready to hold me. Her step mother refused to come near me after that. We all had a good laugh .... have to don't we?? Same happened when I left so I made sure I had the car behind me as my prop. Donna is a nurse so has continued to learn and show concern about OT, but even she was surprised at how bad I was. Just one of those days I guess!!

Freezing here too - very grey with no sun. Good luck next weekend.
Regards, Lynette