OT - Experienced over time; the Golfnut story

This is the "main" forum that contains new introductions and other topics. A place to talk about your experiences, thoughts and advice.

Moderator: gloria

golfnut

Re: OT - Experienced over time; the Golfnut story

Post by golfnut »

Dear all,
this Tuesday (30th Apr 2013) I met with Dr Bain at Cromwell Hospital in London. I last saw him 2 years ago (described earlier in this tread). Dr B had in advance been told about the change in my situation and that I am much better now so he knew beforehand about my contacts with homeopathy and energy medicin.
We discussed how I'm feeling, he did various tests (some the same as last time and some new) and we talked more about how I percieve my situation.

Dr B is first of all happy for me. The most important thing, he says, is that I'm better - the how and why is secondary to that. He writes in his report to me that he believes my improvement might have several reasons such as me loosing weight, the medication valproate has probably now gone out of the system completely (can take years!), I cope with the overall situation better and I've reduced my anxiety level. He said that the discussion with the homeopath regarding supressed fear and stress might indeed have been a positive factor. I walk better, I'm steadier and he could no longer hear the helicopter sound when I stood up. So my being better is now checked by a doctor who saw me when I was quite bad..

I asked if stress could be a trigger for OT (as so many of us here feels OT has started after a period of stress or strong emotional stress) and he cannot say for sure as stress cannot be measured. But that is most probably is a factor.
He wants me to test standing in a swimmingpool as he says most OT'ers can stand without any problem at all in deep water (to chest hight) for a very long time. (Perhaps you who read also can try and report?) Dr B thinks that this indicates how important weight is..
He will consider my idea that pain in upper legs and lower back could be a result of posture changes due to leaning. A new input to him that he felt was interesting and would think about when talking to other patients.

So it was a very good meeting. I'll see him again in a couple of years time unless something changes.
He also mentioned a new drug some of his patients are trying; Alprazolam. I write it here in case anyone of you want to talk to your neurologists about this. I'm off all drugs and do not intend to start using anything again at this point. I do not need it!

I flew to London without any assistance in the airports. I managed a cocktail reception quite ok (needed to sit or lean or walk around - but could also stand and talk now and then which would not have been possible 6 months ago). I have stood in a crowded tube and in a crowded elevator - without feeling panicky! It was a bit difficult, but I managed quite well by just leaning a bit or holding on to something.
I have met clients (10 meetings) and not once have I needed to talk about my legs, explained that I've needed to sit down or behave in a different way. I still have to adapt a little bit, but it is not visible to others the way it used to be nor do I need to make special arrangements. It's amazing... I can hardly believe it.

So today I'm no longer the golfnut with OT -
I'm the golfnut. full stop.
:)
Betty

Post by Betty »

Dear Golfnut,

It sounds as though your meeting with Dr. Bain was very successful and he was pleased with your improvement. I am so happy for you!

I was also happy to read how your golf has improved; being able to stand and address the ball with little or no tremors...even putting ending with a 68 net! I can only imagine how pleased you were.

Keep posting and keep that wonderful positive attitude; we all know how important that is for all of us.

Betty
owen-lynettepickles

Post by owen-lynettepickles »

Hi Golfnut
That is really great news. You are obviously doing everything right to keep on top of the OT. While I know I am much better in my standing, I do still have my moments. I know for sure tiredness sets it all off, especially after having just returned from taking our two grand daughters (8 and 4) on a holiday. Overdid it big time and now I'm paying the price. Note to myself - don't take grandchildren away on my own, too tiring!! Had four 'incidents' while away with them, with the oldest girl looking a little scared/shocked by my "wobbles". I just started laughing which relaxed her and her sister and they laughed with me. They both know I have something wrong with my legs, but you can't give children of that age too much information.

Keep on being positive.
Regards, Lynette
Di Di

Post by Di Di »

Hi Golfnut ....You really are getting around and going great guns !!
Interesting the Dr comments about the pool ...so ,sorry ! , cant let that pass with out comment,though I did promise I would stop nagging people to get into the pool on the forum sometime back !....... what I found those years ago ....I can wade and jog with out any of the OT feelings....though do recall it all felt a bit weird when I first started !
with water chest high you can do all sorts of stretching exercises with ease .....work on your core etc as we are all encouraged to do.

I Plan to spread the good news at the Sydney gathering ....who knows maybe a pool in the complex ?...now there`s a thought!! .... those attending pack your togs...no pressure :)

thrilled you are so well Golfnut ...don't forget us ...and keep up the writing ....take care all
Didi NZ
owen-lynettepickles

Hello again Golfnut
Was surprised that the pain in back and legs seemed to be a new line for Dr Bain as I too suffer from it and believe it is caused by the stance I take when standing or leaning. Like Di and the swimming pool, will bring it up at the Sydney meeting next month.

Regards, Lynette
golfnut

Post by golfnut »

Lynette,
I got the impression that none/few of his patients have discussed this sort of pain with him and even fewer has thought about the connection with OT and the stance. Perhaps we tend to discuss only the tremors with our neurologists and not "everything"?

Finally warmth and sun is here and the golfing season has started. Electric cart + stool to sit on = game on! :-)
golfnut

Post by golfnut »

Why oh why??
After having spent months with hip-problems and finally getting them better, I was of course hit by a new problem; inflammation in a foot! Plantar faciit is the latin name I think and it hurts! So again walking is a problem. I'm so tired of this!!!! (not to mention that I gain the weight so painstakingly lost as I'm almost immobilized again..)
Golfbuggy costs extra but is a must as I cannot walk 18 holes and I want to golf so badly. Also, any walking is done very slowly and carefully - not energetic and with spring in the step. I walk like a 103 year old.. I've gotten myself a pair of running shoes with extra gel soles in order to make each step as soft as possible. With care I hope to break the inflammation - if not, this can take a year some people say. HUGE sigh.

But on the sunny side is the tremors that are still almost not perceptible at all. I felt them yesterday when I stood for quite a while explaining the way to a tourist, but most of the time they are not bothering me at all.. Amazing!

Wishing you all a nice summer (or winter down under.. 8) )

your nut
gloria

Post by gloria »

Golfnut:
I'm sorry to hear about your Plantar faciit and the pain from it. Pain in the foot certainly adds to the disabiling of our mobility. I'm going for surgery at the end of this month to correct deformed toes that are causing ulcers between the toes and the pain is extremely bad too. Life gets to be a bummer at times and I can appreciate how you feel as I'm an ex-golfer and really loved the game too. However in answer to an earlier posting of yours about back and leg pain if you read my new posting on my Experience Page I tell my story of how I'm dealing with back and leg pain. You felt your back pain comes from leaning on things, I would generally describe leaning as a temporary situational help until I can walk or sit.

Gloria
golfnut

Post by golfnut »

Dear all, time to update!

After a long summer with an aching foot the plantar faciit has finally healed and the foot is almost completely back to normal. I'm so happy that I can walk again! It's been really hard not walking and I dare not mention what this has done to my "roundness"... But now I'm back on track and walk as much as possible. I've also just bought a used wii "machine", so I hope to be able to "play tennis" and do other things in order to move about a bit more. Swimming and aqua training will also start this fall. So I'm really trying to get back in shape.

So how does all this related to my OT? Well... let me tell you. The other day I met with friends I have not seen for a while and we played golf together. Towards the end he asked my how my legs were doing and I replied that my foot was almost completely well again! He looked at me and said - foot? What about the legs and the tremors????
So you see, my OT is now bothering be so little that I mostly forget about it completely! It is not on top of my mind all the time anymore. Of course I still feel tremors at times and I cannot stand on a ladder for any length of time (rather not at all) but that is all.. I can shop and browse for things almost normally. So my happy story is on-going. No med, almost completely tremor free since last November! I'm so happy!

Wishing all of you the very best!
your nut
owen-lynettepickles

Hello Golfnut
That is great news for you. Please let us know how "playing tennis", etc. goes on the Wii. I tried ten pin bowling on it and found every time I went to bowl I would lose my balance, despite having a very wide leg stance. By the time I'd finished the game I couldn't stand up on my own and had to quickly find a chair.

Keep going well.
Regards, Lynette
golfnut

Post by golfnut »

Oh dear...
Why did I write my foot was getting better? Why did I start using a WII-game? It was all too soon!!
The inflammation was not healed and it has of course blossomed again. So walking is back to a minimum, with care, slowly in order not to step hard down on the heel. And of course now the right foot is acting up as well. I'm so tired of not having my feet working normally!!!
:evil:
I have reached out to my homeopath that helped so dramatically and positively with the OT in order to see if she can help also with this. One never knows.. that's for sure.
I have also had reason to read some old entries in this thread, to review what happened and how I felt and thought about it. It's been quite a journey!

Has anyone but me jumped on the 5:2 train? (the eat normally 5 days a week and minimal intake/fasting 2 days a week) I feel my body likes it so far. Hopefully this will both keep me healthy and also assist in me loosing the (few but still) kilos too many that I carry around..

Hoping you all are ok and that some might even get better by trying various alternatives routes.
take care,

the nutty one
Di Di

Post by Di Di »

Hi ....that's all a big shame , cant help thinking water exercises will be the best thing at this time !!
You haven't said how your OT is through all this ?.....guess like us all with OT...try anything new but in moderation .........hard to keep in mind ,when it is going so well....
I have learn t if I have a big day ahead , and will need extra energy to get thru ...I skip the morning swim ,and consider the extra `something `as my exercise for that day ...

So good to hear from you ... hows the OT ?........regards diet , for me ,have decided eat fresh and whats in season ,but smaller portions....over weight but feel just fine...long may it last ...Didi NZ
golfnut

Post by golfnut »

Hi DiDi,

Surprise surprise, I will be doing both swimming and aguagym this fall, starting next week. So water training it is, just forgot to tell you.
:lol:

And my OT is almost off the horizon. I think about it now and then when I realise I've done something "bad" but mostly I forget I have it! The OT is really down to a minimum compared to what it was a year ago. So now I can do things that were impossible before the homeopath/energymedicin treatment: I've been shopping clothes with a friend and strolling in shops without haste. I have stood in a changing booth trying on a swimsuit without needing to sit down, at home I stand and put on trousers without any support.. I stand freely and talk to my neighbour for a bit (not too long) but I can do it for a bit.. No meds, no problems. It's amazing!!
I only wish my path could help others too...

Big hug to you guys down under,
take care!

the nut
Di Di

Post by Di Di »

THANK YOU ..Golfnut :)
you really do give food for thought ...I was thinking your foot pain was masking the OT...

I wonder if there are any OT`s out there who have also given homeopath/energymedicn treatment a go ?.....................I am making inquiries , but right at this time finance is a bit tight , but the idea is on the back burner.

Your talk about shopping , just normal everyday stuff ..... to hear you actually can stand in a small space , let alone try on togs ...amazing ...as the film said ...`I want what shes having `...... :lol:

love Didi NZ
golfnut

Post by golfnut »

Hello all,
I've just made a short posting under the meeting headline as I will be travelling to Ireland and will meet Catherine there. A mini-meeting over dinner, Sept 13th.
Just putting it here too in case someone else would like to join us...

My trip to ireland will consist of 6 days of golf on 5 courses, then 4 days of conference and board meetings in an international association I belong to. So part fun and part work.
More about this later.

Take care,
your nutty one