OT - Experienced over time; the Golfnut story

This is the "main" forum that contains new introductions and other topics. A place to talk about your experiences, thoughts and advice.

Moderator: gloria

golfnut

Re: OT - Experienced over time; the Golfnut story

Post by golfnut »

Dear all.
you nut has been travelling! I have been all the way to the Philippines and the huge city of Manila. The reason for the trip was business, but I also had the opportunity to visit two "tourist-attractions" outside the city which meant a chance to see some of the environment, how people live, transportation, plants and foilage and get a mini-grasp on the country. The Philippinos are the most gentle and kind persons I've met so far. Always very polite and friendly.

So what can I report regarding OT?
Well, I managed the wheelchair-situation in the airports much better. Not feeling so silly as I did the first times. I do need the assistance and I have my cane/stick folded up as a "sign" that there is indeed a problem here. In HongKong I was questioned for the first time if I really needed assistance, but I had my letter from Karolinska Hospital with me and that solved the problem at once. I feel more relaxed in the situation now and I also realise that those working in airport assistance really have "seen it all". So when saying that I could manage fine after security, walking about as I had time to spare, this was received without question.

A problem with OT, or perhaps a blessing? is that it is difficult to shop! There were so many lovely things to be had for no money at all, but browsing among items in a store is almost impossible...
I realise that my OT still kicks in when there is a "pressure on" such as a definite need to stand; shopping, standing around in a cocktail-situation at the conference meeting people, buffé-lunch..
But if I am "on my own" I can manage quite well! I'm still not using any medication at all, and I feel quite OK actually.

So the positive result is stll here, everyday life is much better despite the fact that the OT is not gone but remains in the background and in full force in some situations. Now I'll have a second meeting with my homeopath and we'll see what will be the next step.

Take care everyone!
your golfnut
Di Di

Post by Di Di »

Dear Golfnut
Thanks for all that ...I for one are waiting to hear how you got on with your 2nd visit to your Homeopath ?.....you say though you still trigger into full on OT in tricky situations ,there certainly is a improvement with every day coping ...`how cool is that` :)
Is it diet as well as homeopathic medications? are you able to share ?...
totally understand if you cant

feel I need to know more before I go looking for a local Homeopath therapist
Ironic thing is while in London last August I could have discussed all this with my practicing Homeopath therapist niece ?...[a good reason to plan another trip ?] I didn't talk about ~me~at all while there I was just so chuffed,I was managing the trip so well,I didn't want to jinks it by talking ~my~ health
and I guess the family respected that !!

It is great how you managed that trip to Manila with- out your old medications to rely on !

and YES ,I remember the frustration of the crowded shops in HongKong airport , but was pleased
on getting home to find I was saved from clocking more on the old bankcard :)

take care all ..............and thank you again for sharing....Didi NZ
Betty

Post by Betty »

Hello Golfnut....

It's been a while since you have posted, but I see from this post you have been busy and traveling; good for you.

You do seem to be able to do almost anything you want (with the exception of shopping, which is a bummer); but you continue to try.

I will be interested to hear what your homopathist has to say when next you visit. I haven't searched for one here, waiting to hear about your experiences. So far....so good!

DiDi made some good points; being able to travel with no medications is great!

Take care and keep us informed,
Betty
golfnut

Post by golfnut »

Hello all,
time to let you know the latest.
Last week I spoke to my homeopath for a followup. But first things first... :) Because I've also been in contact with my neurologist. I think we all know that traditional doctors and homeopathy practioners might not see eye to eye - but my doc is a gem. I told her about my experiences and she has replied very openly and kindly. Her position is that she does not believe the OT will go away with homeopathy treatment, but that the most important thing is how I feel - and as I feel fine she is pleased for me.
Isn't that nice?

So, back to the homeopath. She actually thinks she can make the OT go away. I do not comment on that as I feel I do not want to have expectations or too high hopes. I'm just happy for now and will see what the future brings.
I got three more med's from her, the first is to help with my hips as they are still acting up, being sore and aches a lot. I hope they will help. I'm seeing a physiotherapist as well I'm doing lots of excersises in order to get well. I've also started practising a bit of golf indoors as I'll be travelling to Spain in March to play. I can hit between 2-4 balls in a row and then I sit and think about what I'm doing and how I want to hit the ball. It sure looks funny to some, but now I do not care at all. I feel much more relaxed with my situation: I need to sit a bit in order to be able to practise and I want to practise - ergo: I do it my way and I do not give a XXXX what other's think. :)

Furthermore I'm still completely off any OT medication. I feel soooooo good! :) The OT is still there, in the background, and it comes along if I stand too long. But, for example, I have no problem standing on one leg, balancing, to put on trousers!!! (as long as I do it fairly quickly of course.. ) I stand here and I stand there - much more and much easier than before the homeopath treatment. It's really amazing...

And DiDi - this one is for you:
I have signed up to learn to crawl!!! It's not your excersises, but it is swimming in a pool in a swimsuit.. all the things I'd rather not be in or do - so I'm really facing up to a challenge! It starts late in March and I will surely tell you about it.

So at this pont all is still quite amazing and fantastic.
take care everyone,
the nut
golfnut

Post by golfnut »

Hi there everyone,

it's time for a small challenge: two trips by air, no assistance booked...
Thursday/Friday I'm flying to/fro Copenhagen and then Saturday to Spain. I've decided to try to manage by myself.. The main reason is that it is within EU = no passport controls at arrival point. And the security I think I can manage either by waiting until there is a minimal line, or ask kindly to be able to move up the line, or by asking for assistance just to see me in..
I'd like so much to be able to walk about more freely in the airport. We'll see how it goes.

I'm bringing swimsuit to Spain DiDi!! :-) But the reason I'm going there is golf. Also a challenge - I hope it will work out well and I'll be able to play as planned.

Still no meds, still ok!

Take care,
the nutty one
owen-lynettepickles

Post by owen-lynettepickles »

Hi Golfnut
I'm sure you will be fine passing through the airports as you will be reasonably familiar with their layouts and not having the same passport control lines to queue in will make it easier. When my husband and I travelled to Australia in late December/early January, I decided I could do it all on my own - didn't even need his arm to grab ... lol. We have electronic passport scanning between New Zealand and Australia so it's reasonably simple - just have to stand still long enough for the electronic camera to take my photo.
Enjoy your golf.
Regards, Lynette
golfnut

Post by golfnut »

Dear all,
this is a very positive and happy report.

I have flown four times, passed through security and check-in lines without assistance and I've stood in line once or twice and I've done it all without problems! Going back form Spain I actually waited in line with the others to board the plane and managed just as well as I did before the diagnose in 2009! Not even my cane in hand.
Also - and this is almost beyond belief, I have managed to play golf very well. I can address the ball, stand still for quite a few seconds to contemplate my swing motions and then hit the ball. I actually played so well I reduced my hcp (did a 68 net!!) It's amazing!!!

When in a food line it was more troublesome and also at one stressful point at Copenhagen airport - then I felt the tremors again. Also once or twice on the greens if I had been waiting.
But in general, if there is no stress and I feel mentally balanced and positive - there are almost no tremors at all! I cannot believe the hardship I had just a few months ago. It seems I'm almost back to normal. Can you imagine? I can also stand on one leg, balance and put on my trousers - just as everybody else does... Unbelievable!

I cannot express how this feels. It's amazing, and rather strange. But oh how happy I am! I know I'm "only one case" - but oh how I wish someone else would try my path and see if you too can be helped..

And Didi - I swam in the pool!!! As I also got a terrible cold, I only did it once, but I did!

Many happy greetings to all,
your golfing nut
owen-lynettepickles

Post by owen-lynettepickles »

That's great news, Golfnut. My experiences of OT are very similar to yours - diagnosed in 2009 and now being able to stand in a queue reasonably well with no cane and standing on one leg to put trousers on (as long as there is no stress, then it's not so easy). I think much of it is down to positive thinking and just getting on with life, knowing one has OT but trying to not let it rule one's life. While I don't play golf, I do walk the dog everyday without difficulty and can stop in the street and have a conversation with someone without feeling panic that I need to lean or keep walking. I do, however have a lot of pain in my upper legs which has led me to move off the Island to Blenheim, which has a warmer and drier climate. This has meant a big upheaval in our lives, with my husband continuing to live and work on the Island. We get to see each other whenever he comes to the Mainland for meetings - at the moment that is every two to three weeks. The warmer weather is certainly helping me, but I do need to remind myself not to do too much, or the pain is severe. Having moved into a new home, there's plenty of things to do, both inside and out, but I must slow down.
Keep on keeping on.
Lynette
Betty

Post by Betty »

Hello Golfnut,

I have been reading, with much interest, your postings regarding being off ALL your medications and are doing so well with your homeopath. It must be wonderful to be able to play golf, stand on one foot to put your pants on and be steady. Something is working for you. I am so happy for you.

Do keep us informed as to your progress; we are all interested.

Betty
Di Di

Post by Di Di »

well ...fantastic to hear how well everything is going Golfnut !.....there really seems to be something to it , regards attitude and state of mind !.............the courage to trust ,let go the stress of it all !

Guess finding out what caused the underlining stress in the past and dealing with it ,painful as it may be .....putting yourself first & dealing with it .
For me personally ,I have been speaking out about past `stuff` ....then how it is for `ME` now ....and I believe I'm better for it ....certainly calmer and more in control ....
But admit I quite happily [not sure that's the right word] full back on , `Iv got a balance problem `
make way , others accept or not , take it or leave it sort of thing ! :(

on the home front I can now often go all day with out OT rearing its head ...know its because I have adapted to suit ......this is perhaps a cop out but its also surviving and enjoying the day ....
Like Lynnette we all adapt to suit .

last weekend was part of a Arts Trail ...open studio and garden ....Loved it ...if I ventured off my work high stool I often grabbed my stick , leaned on the apple tree or garden wall :)
I found there are many people out there with balance problems [OT ?] maybe we arnt as exclusive and unique as we think ....reminded me of when I was pregnant I use to notice all the other expectant Mums .....guess it is where your heads at ?...and OT is a big part of mine !!

keep talking Golfnut ...we all really appreciate it
take care all ...Didi NZ
Betty

Post by Betty »

Hello all.....

I may have to try to find a Homeopath here and see what he/she may have to offer. I have tried everything else and nothing seems to be working for me. My standing time is nil and my tremors are much worse ~ not what I want to report.

I am so happy things are working out for you Golfnut; and it seems things are better for you DiDi, that's great to hear.

Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Betty
gloria

Post by gloria »

Dear Golfnut,

Your posting “this is a very positive and happy report” is great news the kind I like to hear! You are clearly on a good path of controlling your life with OT. Medically there is very little for us so we must think “ out of the box” and explore whatever you think will help . WOW! even reducing your golf handicap to 68 net !!!!!!!! plus all the dependence you had while traveling. That sounds very good to me !!!!!!!

Lynette, Didi & my old dear friend Betty, YOU are all putting OT in a place in you lives but not letting it control it. It is a mantra we all need to follow, it is one I have tried to follow for many of my years. By the way, Didi do you think perhaps sometime you could post pictures of some of your art work. I know we would all enjoy seeing them.

To be continued, Gloria
Betty

Post by Betty »

Hello again,

As you can see, Golfnut, everyone on this site enjoys your postings and the new things you have found and are experiencing.

You give all of us such hope for the future!

I only know Lynette and you DiDi through correspondence, but my dear friend, Gloria, I have known you for many years. You are a very special person and we all thank you for establishing this site with your son, Jeff.

Golfnut....keep up the good work and keep us posted.

Didi, I will be in touch with you.

Betty
golfnut

Post by golfnut »

Dear all,

I'll be travelling to London for business meetings at the end of this month and I've been able to set up an appointment with Dr Bain! I met him in 2011 (and wrote about that meeting here in my diary) and I'm really looking forward to seeing him again. He knows that I am amazingly better, without medication and able to function. He also knows that this effect, in my opinion, is due to homeopatic treatment so it will be very interesting to hear if he knows of others that has had a similar positive effect perhaps.
I'll of course let you know what this meeting leads to.

As before, I'm still very well. I am, as said, not on any drugs for the OT and the tremors are only bothering be in very specific situations. I'm bascially functioning as a "normal" person!

And DiDi - I'm swimming!! :P

take care,
your nut
Betty

Post by Betty »

Dear Golfnut,

It is always such a delight to read how well you are doing. So....you will be traveling to London and will be able to see Dr. Bain. Since you saw him in 2011, it should be interesting to hear what he has to say about your improvement ~ and no medication! I feel all will be as eager as I to read what he has to say.

I am so very happy for you; basically functioning as a "normal" person. That was so long ago for me, I can't remember what it's like; however, in my dreams ~ I am that "normal" person I was before OT and it is WONDERFUL! I look forward to my dreams.... :)

Keep us posted and stay well.
Betty