REPORT ON FUNDRAISING FROM PEGGY

This is the "main" forum that contains new introductions and other topics. A place to talk about your experiences, thoughts and advice.

Moderator: gloria

Lake of the Woods

REPORT ON FUNDRAISING FROM PEGGY

Post by Lake of the Woods »

Hello everyone,
Well the total to date for the fundraising dinner is...$10,090. and I am told there are a few more cheques coming. I will report back on the final total when I have it. I am still in shock; I had a feeling I would do well but this was unbelievable!

This started out as a fundraising and "something positive to focus on". What happened was much, much more, if you just bear with me here. After I sent out the letters explaining a bit about OT, about how we just got our important charity established, I asked people to let me know by a certain date if they could come.

This is what started happening, now that people knew about us - I had so many comments "What a wonderful thing you are doing Peggy", "every charity starts somewhere". I knew that my friends and family now knew that the OT Community needed help and they were also aware that, as Dr. Matsumoto said "most funding for research comes from drug companies but unfortunately they would not be interested in us for obvious reasons".

It is really up to us to just "tell people what is happening and trust me - your family and friends will help. This "helping" that they were offering, in the form of encouraging words, doing things to help set it up, prepare food and help at the dinner showed me that there are a lot of people who care about me and this was such a big, big thing to help deal with this very unusual problem. They didn't understand I am sure about OT - who does - but they knew we needed help and they were there. Personnally, the money is important I know, but this "support" from everyone means so much.

There were approximately 75 people at the dinner and obviously this would be very unreasonable for most people to handle but even a small gathering at your home would bring people in. I would encourage you to show this letter to your family and close friends and if you not comfortable initiating it, maybe they would. Many hands make small work...plus I really feel people like to help. I would say that initially it is important to send them a letter explaining "what is happening" and leave enough time to plan.

We have had a very rainy summer and my biggest worry was the weather; I could not quite fathom having 75 people in the house for dinner if it was raining - I do want to remain friends with them. It was the perfect sunny day and we had tables outside and in. I had all the salads brought in because when people phoned to say they could come their first comment was "what can I bring?" Eventually I felt I had enough salads and told people not to bring anything but they obviously didn't listen and brought one; we had so much food that a lot of people went home with a care package. It was pretty wild in the kitchen - I stayed out of there.

One of my neighbours won the quilt; she had been over prior and I was working on it that day and she just loved it so that was great!

I had a picture of all my OT friends that I made at the Rochester meeting with a note explaining about it and also an arrow pointing to Gloria telling them briefly about her. It was on the table with the raffle, quilt and donation box.

I was thinking of all you that day and it is a day I will always cherish and remember!

Sincerely
Peggy
p.s. I will post a few pictures in the next few days also
Lorie M

Re: REPORT ON FUNDRAISING FROM PEGGY

Post by Lorie M »

Peggy,

What a wonderful letter about a wonderful event. Thank you and your friends and family for helping to make the event a success. $10,090 what a fabulous response. Thank you again for all your effort!
Lorie M
admin
Site Admin

photos! part1

Post by admin »

admin
Site Admin

photos! part2

Post by admin »

Betty

Post by Betty »

Dear Peggy,

You have done a fantastic job of raising money for NORD, and our special charity! I knew you were a great organizer, but this goes far beyond that, you have taken it to a different level and raised the bar for the rest of us!

The pictures you posted show what a lovely place you have to hold such a fundraiser. It appears you have plenty of room for many, many people ~ and many, many people came to help. I especially liked the picture of two people sitting by the lake, enjoying the sunset ~ a perfect way to end a wonderful day. Was that you and Garry?

Perhaps there are others out there who could do something similar ~ maybe not on the scale you did ~ but if some could; we may reach our goal much sooner than anticipated.

Again, Peggy, you are an amazing woman and I am sure Garry did all he could to make this such a successful event.

I still am amazed you were able to raise such a large amount of money. Keep us posted as to the final total. I think I can speak for all on the forum ~ we are VERY proud of you and what you have done. Give yourself a "pat on the back"! You certainly deserve it.

I am happy your neighbor was the lucky winner of that beautiful quilt ~ just wish it could have been me! LOL

Betty
gloria

Post by gloria »

Dear Peggy: What can I say, your event was perfection at it’s best, the setting was Nature’s finest too. You should be very proud of what you accomplished. I keep calling you amazing but can’t find a better word. Not only are you a friend who has OT but you are also one of most supportive persons of our cause.

I found the group picture of those attending the affair holding the sign “Good luck from your Canadian Friends” very endearing. Peggy, please extend my thanks and that of all OT sufferers to each and everyone of them for their contributions and support! OT has no borders neither does friendship. Thanks again, Gloria
stella R

Post by stella R »

HI Peggy,
Well what can i say about the evening of the 29th. of August at PEGGY'S place in Kenora
It was fabulous to say the least.
You and your family put so much time and effort into this event.
we are so very happy and greatful it was such an amazing success.
My husband and i were so fortunate to be able to attend.
Meeting all your family was a real pleasure.
Now we can put names and faces together.
The food was delicious and plentyful, and the accomadations were spectacular
What a beautiful evening it was..
You have put so much effort into the O/T research program, we are all
so grateful to you and i feel nothing but good will come from all this.
Thank you for the pictures. They turned out very nice.
you and your husband now deserve a holiday.
So enjoy and again our many thanks for all you have done and continue to do
Best wishes to all your family
Stella
Lake of the Woods

Post by Lake of the Woods »

Hello everyone,
I just put together the covering letter sending all the donations to N.O.R.D. I did receive more donations after the dinner and the final total is now $13,840. This is not the final total though because there were a few confidential donations received that were sent unopened. I have asked N.O.R.D. to give me a final total and then I will report back. I have also asked them to give me an up-to-date total on our research fund and I will report back on that also.

I forgot to mention how happy I was to have Stella (my first OT friend) and her very nice husband come down from Winnipeg to be with us for the fundraising and stay overnight. Also, our new OT friend, who lives just 15 minutes from me was in attendance with her husband. A picture of the three of us is included in the pictures - the new lady Gaye is in the middle and Stella on your right.

I am still "in cloud nine" over this and Garry and I are going on a much anticipated holiday in a couple of days for two weeks. I will be in touch when I return. The total amount will also change once it is converted to U.S. dollars.

Sincerely,
Peggy