Trouble kneeling?

This is the "main" forum that contains new introductions and other topics. A place to talk about your experiences, thoughts and advice.

Moderator: gloria

Lynda

Trouble kneeling?

Post by Lynda »

A week or so ago Dave posted a comment about having to put furniture together whilst kneeling - and it made me wonder whether I am the only one who is unable to kneel as well as stand. If I try to kneel it is not long before my knees start to shake uncontrollably. Also, if I put weight onto my arms the tremor will also kick in there. The only thing I can do comfortably is to sit or lie down. I had assumed that this was common with OT, but perhaps not? I would be interested to know if others suffer in the same way.

Best wishes to you all,

Lynda
stella R

Re: Trouble kneeling?

Post by stella R »

Hi
Just wanted to say i am exactly the same.
I can kneel in church if i rest back against the seat.
I wonder what that tells our Doctors?
Or are they really that interested.
I think we should examine this a bit more
take care
stella
patty

Post by patty »

Hi Lynda

Well of all the things we do have in common this is not one of them, that must be terribly disabling for you as most of us do lots of things on our knees. As to the shaky arms, when I saw Dr Peter Bain, he did have me weight bearing on my arms & said there was a slight tremor, but I am not too aware of this myself.

Just sorry I cannot suggest anything here Lynda, lets hope someone else can.

Take care, Patty
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

Hi Lynda,

After I read your post, I got down on my knees, and -- yup--I felt just as shaky and unsteady as when standing. When I sit unsupported on a chair, I also feel shaky; I need to be able to lean back. I guess like many of you I'm most comfortable lying down and do a lot of activities in that position--reading, watching TV, even using my little laptop.

I guess orthostatic tremor has to do with tremors in whichever are the weight bearing muscles.

Harriet
gardenlily

Post by gardenlily »

I, too, have difficulty kneeling down, which poses a big problem when trying to do any type of garden work unfortunately.
I have found that once I have been kneeling for a while, I am almost unable to get up again without assistance, which is quite frustrating. When I do get to a standing position, the tremors are definitely evident and I have to leave what I am/have been doing, and go find a place to sit. I also tend to "freeze" up if I have been walking around for quite a while and then have to stop and stand still. I need assistance then to find a place to sit until the tremors subside a bit.
All part of the learning process that comes with OT.
Rae (aka Gardenlily)
gloria

Post by gloria »

gardenlily: please read my post below - Gloria
gardenlily

Post by gardenlily »

Boy, sorry I hit a nerve. I was just explaining what I experience.
Maybe I should get off this forum. Obviously, I make no sense to you and upset you at the same time.
Goodbye.
gloria

Post by gloria »

I am so sorry...

I read over my post and your are correct, it was REALLY out of place... it was a long day for me and OT takes it's toll. What I posted was my own frustration with OT.

very sorry,

Gloria