Registered Disabled

This is the "main" forum that contains new introductions and other topics. A place to talk about your experiences, thoughts and advice.

Moderator: gloria

MikeS

Registered Disabled

Post by MikeS »

Hi
Is anyone here registered disabled due to their OT ?
Regards
Mike :D
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Comments removed.
Last edited by DaveW on Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
MikeS

Re: Registered Disabled

Post by MikeS »

Thank you Dave I guess if you saw me with a blue disabled badge walking at a good pace down the street you would wonder why I had it ....until you stopped me to ask me and within a couple of seconds Id fall on my arse and then you would have your answer.
Regards
sue134

Post by sue134 »

My son is going through this system at this very moment in trying to get DLA
Its the second time of trying (first time he was told more or less that the tremors were psychological? )

Doctor who came to the house this time was more open to sons dilemma, He was very concerned and asked to see how son walked while using his crutches (he fell to the ground after taking a few steps.)
I wouldn't have wish this to happen but maybe just maybe this is what was needed? :)

As for the blue badge for parking we have this with the backing from our GP
gloria

Post by gloria »

Hi! Mike: I guess I'm considered "registered disabled" but it seems that there are different areas of national and state commissions of jurisdiction. I'm registered with a disabled persons' wallet card & placard for my car from the NJ Motor Vehicle Commission. This is basically for parking accessibility and my doctor wrote a letter of request for it. We have at the end of the home page under Organizations & Groups the US Social Security Department (info on disability benefits) which might give you an example how disability requirements are defined here in the States. It might be interesting to compare what you have available in Spain. No matter, universally we need a doctors recommendation. Is there anything out there that "puts it's arms around our problem" I wish I knew! Perhaps as we grow in numbers the more we can present our case. Love to hear more from others and their experience of getting disability recognition. MIke, your sense of humor is a treasured gift to all of us, Gloria
sue134

Post by sue134 »

Sorry I went a bit off cause with my last message-(put it done to a carer who is feeling fed-up with all the bureaucracy I am having to deal with, and being completely shattered) :roll:

In answer to the question of being registered disabled :?:
I believe this all depends on where you live, our council still has a register and to have your name entered you have to either be getting DLA or have the backing of your doctor.
stella R

Post by stella R »

HI MIKE
I AM REGISTERED DISABLED.
I GOT A FORM FROM THE DOCTOR AND SENT IT INTO THE INCOME TAX DEPT.
YES THERE IS NO PROBLEM WITH THAT AT ALL.
I NEED MY WALKER TO SHOP.
I CANNOT WALK WITHOUT ASSISTANCE.
CANNOT STAND FOR LESS THAN A MINUTE NOW.
I HAVE FOUND MYSELF SITTING ON THE FLOOR IN A STORE AT ONE POINT.
OUR CONDITION IS CONSIDERED PERMANENT.
THESE ARE A FEW OF THE QUESTIONS TO FILL OUT.
IT ALSO HELPS WITH YOUR INCOME TAX RETURN HERE IN CANADA
TAKE CARE
STELLA.
Betty

Post by Betty »

Hi Mike,

I had just written a post, hit the wrong button and away it went ~ into cyberspace!!!!!

I'll try again! I found it interesting to read about registering as a disabled person. I guess it differs from state to state and perhaps country to country.

I went yesterday to renew my "disabled placard" for my auto. I hang it on the rearview mirror when using a disabled parking space. I got a form from my doctor and had no problems. I was told there would be no need to get another form from my doctor; it will now be renewed automatically during my birth month of July.

I don't have anything for my wallet, but probably could get something from my doctor if I asked. I only have the key chain with the "disabled sign" I got while in Rochester ~ thanks to Jeff and Beth.

Mike, as Gloria said, we do so enjoy your humor.....you kept us laughing and in good spirits in Rochester!

Betty 8)
Lake of the Woods

Post by Lake of the Woods »

Hello everyone,
In Canada there is certain criteria in order for a person to be considered "disabled" in order to qualify for a credit on their income tax filing. A form has to be completed by your doctor indicating your "disability" and then you send this in to Canada Customs to register. Once this is done you are permanantly registered with them as being disabled and each year when you do your income tax you qualify for a tax credit. This is fairly significant and also can be transferred to your spouse if you do not need this credit so it is worth looking into.

I have not personally filed this claim yet but I am sure my time will come from all indications, but I just recently did this process for my mother. If you have any questions, phone our Canada Customs office for the "disability form - T2201" to take to your doctor which you can easily do yourself and be sure and tell your accountant about this change in your income tax status.

Peggy Whitta
Marianne

Post by Marianne »

Dear Mike: I live in the US and have had a "Disabled Tag" for my automobile for a number of years now. At first it was a temporary tag, but when the tag expired the doctor decided that I should have a permanent tag. So it lasts a few years; you get a notification from DMV asking whether the disability still exists and they send you a renewal card which I carry along with my driver's license. It is very helpful to be able to park in a handicapped space (when they are available). Sometimes you find inconsiderate people parking in the handicapped spaces wating for someone to come out of a store. I have no problem approaching them and asking them to put their tag on. When they are "caught" they immediately move. Here in NJ the first fine for parking in a handicapped space is $250. If they cannot produce a handicapped tag, I simple call the police department. If you need a handicapped tag, request that you doctor complete a form; find out in your city where these forms can be found (sometimes in the DMV, sometimes the police station.)

Good Luck
MikeS

Post by MikeS »

Hi
Thank you everone for your helpful answers.Here in Spain things are a little more difficult when it comes to red tape.But I now know that I will persue it.
I am so glad that I have you lovely friends to help me when I need it.I promise I wont lose my sense of humour even though somedays its a struggle to keep smiling,but all I have to do on those days is sit and remember how we all laughed so much in Rochester.
Thanks again
Betty

Post by Betty »

Hello all,

It seems things are different from country to country and not so much between the states; I am referring to "disabled status".

When I first requested a "disabled" sticker for our vehicle; it was suggested I get a placard rather than a sticker for the tag. I was told if I got a sticker for the tag, I would only be able to use the disabled parking spaces when in that particular vehicle. It was suggested I get the placard (which is hung from the rearview mirror) and I could use it in ANY vehicle. Now whenever we travel, and have a rental car, I have my handicap placard. Just a thought.....

Mike, I know it's difficult to always have a smile and appear cheerful; but it takes more muscles to frown than to smile. :D

We all have our days when we feel a bit down and out; but we "pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off, and start all over again"; sounds like a song to me!

Betty 8)
stella R

Post by stella R »

HI All,
RE The disability question.
Peggy was the person that informed me about being able to have my
husband claim me on his income tax return.
It is very simple really.
For me, i require a walker to get around.
You do have to get a form filled out by your doctor it is the T2201 form.
It makes quite a difference on your return and is well worth applying for if you are
at the same level as i am.
I am very thankful to Peggy for that information.
She has been an inspiration to me.
Not sure if this is available in the u.s.a.
Take care all,
Stella
Patty G

Post by Patty G »

Hi Mike,
I was given a note from my neurologist for my first blue placard. I had to get a note to renew it every few years. Then, I bought a new car and asked for handicapped license plate. Much to my surprise and delight I discovered that the State of Alaska gives the first handicapped license plate free when you register your car. I won't have to renew it again until I buy another car (at which time I will have to pay for the license plate). The only problem is I don't have a placard to take with me when I travel. I went to visit my son in Fairbanks, Alaska and really missed the placard.
I enjoyed your sense of humor at our gathering and I still enjoy it on the forum.
You were very down about reactions to medications at the meeting. It sounds like you have stuck to your guns and are functioning without medications. I hope you continue to do as well as possible dealing with all the new and sometimes frustrating adventures OT takes us on.
Patty in Juneau, Alaska