Oxygen Therapy ?

This is the "main" forum that contains new introductions and other topics. A place to talk about your experiences, thoughts and advice.

Moderator: gloria

gloria

Oxygen Therapy ?

Post by gloria »

I received this interesting e-mail from a person who wanted to share some information about an experience that she had with the use of oxygen as a “therapy” for the symptoms of ET and OT. Since there are many of us that use deep breathing for minimal relief for our tremors maybe there is a “ oxygen connection “ that needs to be studied. :

Dear Gloria,

My neurologist humored me in trying this therapy.  I call it therapy because it is my own 'creation'.  It doesn't heal or cure the problem, but it calms my tremors to nothing for long periods of time (in hours).  I can sit playing cards or talking a long time (in hours, not days).

My essential tremors were diagnosed around November, 2000.  Since that time I have been diagnosed with orthostatic tremor also.  The propanolol seems to take care of the hand tremors unless I'm under stress. 

Several months ago I told my neurologist and my primary doctor (who also has tremor) that when I inhaled very deeply, my head and inner tremors ceased for a second or two, giving me a welcome rest.  The idea was dismissed because no studies were known about this.

Last month I borrowed an oxygen setup from a friend for three days.  I sat at my computer and played games twice a day at 20 minutes 'a shot'.  This was at 2 liters delivery.  The friend had to retrieve the setup on the third day.  THE NEXT DAY I HAD NO TREMORS!  It was only one day, but it felt soooo good.  The following day the tremors were back all day.

After a bit of mixup, my neurologist gave me a prescription (without talking directly to me) for an oxygen setup which I have to pay for because, I guess, it isn't a normal treatment.  I am enjoying---not 100% tremor free---big time relief. The 'therapy' lessens the standup tremors, but as you are aware, I can feel the inside quiver. This may not seem orthodox or scientific, but my tremors are constant and severe normally.  The resting time is wonderful.   Drug-free.   Don't look for your doctor to jump up and down.  I'm sure she thinks I'm crazy--but should I care? Another plus that is obvious is my balance is MUCH better and I don't bump into things or almost fall.  I'm afraid to even mention the fact that my head is clearer.

My insurance doesn't cover it--and I don't care!!!!! It costs $31.00 a month, including equipment, delivery and oxygen. It's worth it to me.  The relief is dramatic enough to make me want to share this with others. You're welcome to post this for me.
ROSE, San Diego, California